Gotta lose weight......

This is a discussion on Gotta lose weight...... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've always been a big guy. One of those who really is "big boned". In high school, I ran track. I was 5'5" and 185 ...

Thread: Gotta lose weight......

Gotta lose weight......

I've always been a big guy. One of those who really is "big boned". In high school, I ran track. I was 5'5" and 185 lbs when I graduated. About 10% body fat. Pretty big. I hit a growth spurt at about 21, and grew a few inches to 5'10" or so, depending on the person measuring(for some reason, the doctor used to get a different height every time. I had Kaiser, go figure). Working in fast food, and later, security, I put on a little more weight than I should have. Still had good cardio ability, so I wasn't too worried. I went in the police academy in July of 2003. I started at 280 lbs, fat and slow. After six weeks of PT, I was 295, and getting trim. I had a 54.5 inch chest, and a 40 inch waist. A measure of my body fat indicated lean muscle mass of around 215 lbs. Now, the BMI for my height states I should weigh no more than 180. Good luck with that, doc. So, my PT instructor and I figured a healthy weight would be 250-275. 235, if I wanted to be a competitive body bulider or such, with extremely low body fat. But, back to the subject at hand. I got injured in the academy, trashed my knee out pretty good, and got dropped with 80 hours of classroom left.
    I was injured, and the wife was pregnant. Not a good recipe for healthy weight. I shot up to 350 by the time my daughter was born. Yikes! Waited until she was 8 months, went back to work and began losing the weight. I got down to 325. Left CA. While moving our entire household on my own, due to all my help having "emergencies", I hurt my back. The weight started coming back. Then I fell down our stairs and hurt my tailbone. I couldn't sit up straight for 4 months. Screwed us pretty good financially. Luckily, when we moved to Oregon, we paid off our mortgage, and purchased a home for cash. Long and the short is, right now I'm around 340lbs.
    I know what I need to do. I know what works for me. No "Atkins type stuff. If I don't get carbs, I will be in the paper for murder. No, what works for me is a high protein diet, with reasonable carbs and restricted sugar intake. The sugar part is hard, because my wife is a stress baker. Also what works for me is intensive exercise.
    Why am I posting? Since I know what I need to do? Well, If I tell y'all what my plans are, I figure it'll help me stay "straight". I already cut out fast food weeks ago, not like I ate a lot of it, anyway. I'm kickstarting the exercise this weekend, clearing out what seems like a metric ton of weeds from my back yard, and building a fence around the garden area, then planting.
    I'm not so worried about poundage, that's secondary. I do look forward to my pant size dropping. Now that summer is here, the bike is aired up and ready to go, so I can work on my cardio without destroying my knees.
    So, wish me luck!
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

2. Remove Ads

Hey Fjolnirsson, good luck with it. I'm trying to make some changes in my life as well and finally get my weight off. I used to be pretty average but way back in the 4th grade broke my foot and it all went downhill from there

I'm about 6' 1" but don't know how much I weigh (I don't believe in scales.. my pants either fit or they don't!) but it's got to be around 250 or more.

It sounds like you've had a run of some bad juju with injuries which is always tough. I have no such excuse; I'm just plain lazy! It doesn't help that my job involves sitting all day either.

But, having only recently gotten into guns, I have to say that for me, not only has it been a ton of fun, but has motivated me to actually do something about my body and slim down, as right now a holstered gun tends to stick out of me in wierd ways-- having a hard time finding an appropriate place on my waist to conceal. I'd also like to get into some gun sports. Who knew this is what it would take to get me off my butt? Wish I woulda gotten into guns 10 years ago!

So, good luck.. and pardon sounding like a support group meeting, but "you're not alone" You say you're not worried about the poundage, which is great - I happen to think most people obsess too much over scales, and it makes the whole process more difficult when you constantly hop on a scale and get all worked up when you're down a pound here, and then up a pound there.... why make yourself crazy?

Administrator

Thumbs up Back Problems

Well, I found out first hand that folks will always gain weight when they have severe low back problem. Mostly because nearly everything you do HURTS to do it.
    It kinda forces more inactivity on your body than you would otherwise "just lay around." WINTER in combination my low back injury added some pounds onto me.
    I was only up around 22 pounds & I dropped it in about 1.5 months using the natural GREEN TEA pills.
    I feel like I am at my correct weight now. It honestly just made me less hungry & I just ate less of the same food that I always eat.
    On the plus side also...it's good for you since it's a natural anti~oxidant.

Helpful HINT ~ Don't ADD sugar to anything.
    I also absolutely CANNOT drink anything with any artificial sweetener in it.
    I don't know how HUMAN BEING can drink "DIET" anything.
    By The Way...Just for general forum information...my wife's company did the "scaling up" production process for the latest "artificial sweetener" ~
    I won't mention the name of her company or...the exact product but I will say that the chemists who make it...don't use it.
    That...should tell you something.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I recently dropped 30lbs and 2" in my waist in just under 4 months.

I did it by restricting my total caloric intake, a lot at first, but I've been tapering back upwards for the past month. I still try to stay at or below 2000/day. I also cut back on fat and cholesterol. I'm not sticking to a specific low carb diet, but I do try to restrict the worst sources of carbs (potatoes for example) since my triglycerides were so high. I eat much less meat than I used it, have a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast every day, and have greatly increased my intake of fruits and vegetables (raw whenever possible). My only source of exercise is a long walk each evening with my family and whatever yardwork I do.

Good luck!

Chris

Assistant Administrator
    Fjol' - very best of luck - tho from your description of self and obviously therefore your personal make-up, metabolism etc - it will not be easy. It is always hard to argue with the ''personal format'' angle.

I have to claim a lotta luck with my old frame - I am 6.00" and was around 175# a lot of my younger adult life. I have gained some muscle mass despite not really working out but have also of course added some fat tissue but not fortunately too obvious. I hover around 200# these days.

For me this has been due to what I called ''living off my nerves!'' - I am a fidgit - partly due to a back problem and don't relax too well - so compared with fuel intake - I get a bad ''mpg's return'' LOL. Wasteful use of energy. I do find I eat less tho these days - not from choice as much as what I seem to need.

There will be an ideal approach for you that'll yield best results, but you have to find it! No doubt excercize has to come in too. Dedication will be a big part of your efforts and as I said - best of luck - and keep us up to speed eh!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I thought Adkin's was high protein? I figure a diet that includes bacon& eggs and steak can't be all bad!

One big thing that I did was cut out soda. I've gone to drinking mostlywater and unsweetened ice tea. I can't stand any of that artificial sweetner crap, would rather do without.

I actually did Adkin's and dropped from about 200 down to about 145. I used to ride a bike (pedal type, sorry guys) and ate a lot of carbs (Pasta). I had a knee problem and stopped riding, but but not eating and went from 140 up to the near 200. Of course now I'm also off my butt doing a little more exercise. :sterk:
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Heh. So, it turns out, after that first post, I got weighed, and the doctor's scale read 360.

As it turns out, the exercise didn't take off as smoothly as I'd hoped. However, there is good news. At the start of August, I weighed in at 348.
    Since then, I started a very physical job, which helped a lot toward my weight loss goal. The job is now gone, (temp work), but the results so far are pleasing.
    I'm down to 325, and my pants have dropped from a 52 to a 44.
    I've lost almost two years of fat. Another half pant size, and I'll be where I was in January after the Academy.
    It's much easier to conceal my Glock, now that I don't have all that fat shoving it out!
    "Water can flow, or it can crash. Be like water, my friend."-Bruce Lee

My Blog

"Luck, often enough, will save a man if his courage does hold."

DC Founder
    Congrats, that's a pretty good drop and not a bad rate of dropping it by any means. I think dropping weight too fast is not good for alot of people. Sounds like you will probably be getting your weight where you want to before it's all over. Good luck!
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Comgrats i wish i could dump of the weight im at 6'0" 294 Rightnow i figur drop 4 #'s for all the gun stuff i was carrying the other day i should be right at 290

I dread what will happen with what looks like impending knee surgry .. i was doing well at keeping weight at 225 then all of a sudden i shot up to 290 and have been between 290-300 for past 3 years

Since im diabetic they pay for me to see a food Dr after following her advice and cutting all the pop out all this out all that out i lost not a pound but put 10 on figure that one out went back to my pop and got back under 300

Assistant Administrator
    Fjol' - that is a pretty good result -
    my pants have dropped from a 52 to a 44.
    And that certainly is a very good aspect - impressive even If folks have ''big frames'' and certain types of metabolism it can be real hard to lose a great deal.

Wierd thing is as Bud mentions - leave out this and that and then weight GAINS - that is bizarre.

I am fortunate in that I have always had a very high BMR and as I mentioned earlier, have not had to fight the flab too hard tho there is some ''luxury real estate'' in mid regions these days .
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

''luxury real estate'' i like that ill have to rember to use it

Nice going on the weight and pants size drop. I am about 5'10" and weight around 200 so I am not a good source for advice. Recently among other situations I have diabetes and changed what I eat both in portions and type of food. What works for me is something like a pot roast with vegiees' and eat small amounts. I drink water mostly, no other sweets period.
    I struggle at 197 to 200 pounds. I have other health problems that cause me to retain water and sometimes can gain 20# pretty quick, put me in the hospital a couple of months ago. I am trying but have a problem shedding water.
    Best to you and you do have a bunch out here that understand.
    Richard
    As you slide down the banister of life,
    May the splinters never point the wrong way.
    ---
    NRA Life Member

yes I have the same problems. Heck, when I was in the service I was 155. After leaving, I jumped over 100. Not good. I'm struggling to get back into a reasonable weight.
    Problem is I have a desk job that is typically 12 hours long, so there's not much time for PT.

Lead Moderator
    I have found riding bike and a cardio work out helped mr to lose some fat. Gained some muscle though, due to free weight training too. Its hard to eat healthy if you are working all the time though.

Links