Kinda long story but I thought it was cool.

This is a discussion on Kinda long story but I thought it was cool. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'll try to shorten this down to just the relevant stuff, please bear with me! So my girlffriend is a Director at the YMCA. This ...

I'll try to shorten this down to just the relevant stuff, please bear with me!

So my girlffriend is a Director at the YMCA. This morning a 75-80 year old woman fell off a treadmill, breaking her arm. As paramedics asked the woman what she was allergic to, in her pain she couldnt remember everything. My g/f had to call the womans emergency contact (her daughter) who said the woman was allergic to everything, and in the old womans purse would be a list of things. So my g/f goes to her purse, and the first piece of paper she pulls out is an Alabama concealed carry permit. I asked if there was a gun but there wasnt (atleast in the purse). Maybe this woman shouldnt be on those dangerous treadmills! But she can sure carry a gun! I thought it was an interesting story, thought I'd share.
    "A thing long expected takes the form of the unexpected when at last it comes"-Mark Twain

VIP Member
    Good for her!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Age doesn't matter in wanting to protect yourself. Good for her!
    NRA Rifle Coach
    NRA Pistol Instructor
    NRA Personal Protection In the Home Instructor

--- Some of the friendliest people I have ever talked to are gun owners and shooters and according to the gun activists we are the mass murders and felons of the nation???

I think its great when older people choose to carry, as more often than not, they become the prey. People see old and frail, but I bet that gun isn't so old or frail!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Good for her! I'll go out on a limb here and assume that she was at the YMCA to ensure that she maintained the strength necessary to competantly shoot it, and she gets double kudos for that.

Elderly people certainly can be tempting targets for the less scrupulous, and a gun is just about the only tool many of them can really use for defense.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Administrator
    That's great...more power to her.
    When her arm gets better and she can type maybe she'll join DefensiveCarry.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I get a warm fuzzy feeling when someone around that age comes in to the shop and buys a gun for home defense. I have this little old lady, 84 , that comes in every 2-3 weeks. She has this 60's SW J frame that i clean for her for no charge, she always throws me a $5 bill and make me laugh the whole time, she's one tough granny.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

I enjoy hearing of the elderly taking charge of their own safety...I'm elated when one actually 'cleans house'...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Links