I feel like I have been hit by a truck....

This is a discussion on I feel like I have been hit by a truck.... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I found a great weight training book. It is entitled "Strength Training Anatomy" and it was written by Frederic Delavier. It was $20 and Barnes ...

Thread: I feel like I have been hit by a truck....

I found a great weight training book. It is entitled "Strength Training Anatomy" and it was written by Frederic Delavier. It was $20 and Barnes and Nobles.

What a great book. It has each type of weight lifting exercise broken up into chapters. For example, chapter one is Arms, 2 is Shoulders, 3 is chest, 4 is back and so on. Then each chapter has each individual exercise broken down on its own page or two with a drawing depicting the muscles the movement isolates and the proper stance and posture for the lift. It goes into a good amount of detail and is easy to use and understand even for someone who has not been weight training for their whole lives.

Last night was my back and chest night and with all the new lifts I did with this book as an example, I am sore all over tonight. I mean It really feels like I was beat up. But, that is great because that means I tore the muscles down and they are rebuilding now.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who is interested in getting into weight training and for anyone who has been doing it for a while. It is a good book to have if you lift.

Find the book HERE
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Just noticed the new avatar. Pretty cool, Caveman.

You can find the reason for the new Avatar HERE in this thread.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    "It goes into a good amount of detail and is easy to use and understand even for someone who has not been weight training for their whole lives."

SO EASY....even a caveman could do it?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

If you can stomach it, take an ibuprofen before bed, has something in it that makes the muscles relax.

My first concern was that you had, indeed, been hit by another truck (or old guy in a car, or whatever). Glad you haven't, don't know how much more abuse your bike could take.

One more thing Mike: You just won't let it go, will you? You insist on pointing out that I need to get off my butt again and get back in shape. You remind me that, although I started at my current weight, I weighed 100lbs less some years ago. A hamstring injury took me from a 30 mile a week runner to the guy that ate what he felt like (again) and watched a lot of TV (again). If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't be in such a hurry to complete a marathon that I skipped cross training (a major contributer to my injury), I was a certified personal rainer and knew better than to train the way I was. I just figured I could get away with it for a while. I also would have found some way to not let the depression over being injured ruin my commitment to fitness. It took my identity as a runner.

Mike, I hate you today. But mostly I thank you. I am off to my second job where I turn on a boiler and sit and do nothing. I'm gonna take my exercise ball and a medicine ball today. Do some pushups and lunges and core stuff. Over the week as I go I think I'm gonna take my dumbell collection there too. Time at home is rather tight, but as long as the boiler is running ok I mostly sit and read over there.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    Thanks for the good info Mike.errr...caveman!

good advice

Thanks Mike. I started trying to lose weight seriously about 3 months ago. I started lifting and walking on a treadmill and even signed up for karate (they do pilates for 45 minutes before karate)

So far I have lost almost 25 lbs and would like to lose about 25 more. I had to quit working out hard because the doctor found a hernia about 3 weeks ago. So now I have surgery in 2 weeks and I hope to ease back into things again.

My wife and I are separating so that also has taken some wind out of my sails. I think i am realy just coasting til I get thtough the surgery and then I will be a new man.

Thanks for the book info. I will certainly check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by simon View Post
    Thanks for the good info Mike.errr...caveman!
    Good avatar...but do you have a permit for that atlatil ??

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I do lifting myself. I've done it on and off for about 14 years. I used to do competition lifting as well. I stopped a few years back but just in the last month have gotten back into it.

As far as your muscles hurting, another poster mentioned taking Ibuprofen. In contrast, I would suggest taking a few regular strength aspirin before you head out. It thins out the blood and makes your workout a bit more aggressive on the muscles, but not as painful later. However, the major downside to that is that everntually you will need to take more and more aspirin or you will just develop an immunity to it. And as always, talk to a doctor before starting a regimin with something like that.

Don't forget to stretch. #1 cause of workout injuries is forgetting that.

Remember that your muscles have finished rebuilding when they stop hurting. Typically, once you get into a solid cycle, it will take approximately 36 hours for them to rebuild. Working them hard before then won't do much positive for you. One of the reasons I love lifting and working out is how in-tune you get with your body. Its a great feeling.
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

Now you've really done it. My wife is gonna have some words for you Mr... We are going out for my birthday shortly, Dinner and a Movie, and after my wife is gonna expect something from me . Problem is, you talked me into working out today at work. Nothing Crazy, but apparantly what i used to do for a light workout is kinda much for the first one in a long time. My legs are goofy and I had a hard time washing my hair. I hope she is too tired and wants to go to bed early. Thanks a lot, pal.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Sponsored Links