Why This Yankee Loves the South...

This is a discussion on Why This Yankee Loves the South... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; During a classroom discussion, students were discussing points in life about certain 'freedoms' given by adults that made them feel 'older' or more responsible...i.e., staying ...

Thread: Why This Yankee Loves the South...

During a classroom discussion, students were discussing points in life about certain 'freedoms' given by adults that made them feel 'older' or more responsible...i.e., staying home alone, babysitting for siblings, getting a driver's license, etc.

Now this is a Southern rural high school...
    The subject of weapons came up, and I asked how many students knew that they had 'loaded' weapons in their homes...28 out of 28 raised their hands, and many had that look of, "Who wouldn't?"
    Then I asked how many had been allowed to safely fire a weapon with their parent or another adult...26 out of 28 raised their hands. The age range of that occurrence was between 5-10 years of age.

Just the fact that that discussion was not a big deal is in and of itself is amazing.

Just gotta' love the South. It kind of brought a tear to my eye...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I agree 100%!!!

I was born in Brooklyn, NY and now live on Long Island, NY, but have lived in NY, NJ, VA, NC, GA, FL, MS, AL, LA and TX. People that I have met in all of the southern states have a much healthier and correct attitude towards guns as compared to people in NY and NJ.

Most people in NY and NJ have a childish fear of guns. They think that they can make these states safer by outlawing guns - but what they get is a situation where only outlaws have guns.

I can't wait to get out of NY. One day I will be able to celebrate my leaving this state for a state where people have rights!!!

Luke
    "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life."
    John 3:16

NRA Life Member

some schools would have went into lockdown for that
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

There are still good places in this country. Thanks for the encouraging words.

Austin

I love the south but don't try that in Orlando! I'd have to come bail you out!

I still remember the days in New England when every deer season the cars in the student parking lot had plenty of rifles and shotguns. Those days are gone I fear. Our principle did freak out when I tried to form a High School shooting team though...
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Our county veterans services officer told me that he carried his .22 rifle to a school (in central California), and they stacked their guns in the back of the room. On the way home they tried to take a few rabbits home for dinner. What happened?
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

swiftyjuan

I grew up in southern Indiana; in Jr. High we would take our shotguns on the bus wearing our hunting coats, put them in our lockers for the day. After school we would walk home through some abandoned quaries shooting rabbits, quail and squrrils. in high school every boy carried a folding sheath knife (ala Dukes of Hazard)on their belt and our pickups had rifles/shotguns in the rear windows year round.
    Last edited by F350; November 4th, 2007 at 12:45 AM. Reason: spelin

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    When I was growing up in Michigan, the school sponsored a hunter's safety course (passing it was required to get a hunting license by the Dept. of Natural Resources) and had a policy for students to get excused from classes for the opening of deer season. Our high school debate teacher had to assign the anti-gun side of a debate because no one wanted to argue it!

Montana is the same way. We don't have home invasions... because the criminals know they wouldn't survive. Also I have found out in many conversations, most "anti-gun" people, have never fired a gun before.
    Old age and treachery will always overcome youthfulness and skill.

I'm not sure if it's North or South, but the more Westward you get. Here in Idaho I'd say pretty much 95% of homes have guns in them.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by merk_fmr8511 View Post
    We don't have home invasions... because the criminals know they wouldn't survive.
    LOL...I love it...
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Links