Background Check To Purchase Pets?

This is a discussion on Background Check To Purchase Pets? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A friend of mine wanted to purchase a dog for his son. The store had him fill out a questionare and the store sent it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Background Check To Purchase Pets?

Background Check To Purchase Pets?

A friend of mine wanted to purchase a dog for his son. The store had him fill out a questionare and the store sent it to a screening agency. The store manager told him that it doesn't look good because he has a child under 6.

Anyone else have some kind of similar experence?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    Its a some what common practice with the pet stores. They are attempting to cut down on the impulse shoppers buying that cute pup at the mall.
    I would have failed them for trying to buy a dog at a pet store.
    "Just blame Sixto"

I understand having some sort of a deterance for things like that. It probably really cuts down on neglect/cruelty situations. Which is a good thing. But the flip side, others have to suffer.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I would have failed them for trying to buy a dog at a pet store.
    +1

A reputable breeder or a breed rescue is the way to go. And, they too, require (or they should) a background check before placing a dog.

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    +1

A reputable breeder or a breed rescue is the way to go. And, they too, require (or they should) a background check before placing a dog.
    lol - I thought I was going to have to give blood and urinalysis for mine.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member
    I don't know whether to find it amusing or disgusting that a pet store that probably purchases animals from a puppy mill would be so concerned for the welfare of the dog by screening prospective owners. Of course, that may not be the issue here, but a lot of pet stores do receive their animals from mills.

I did have to fill out a questionnaire for my rescue dog, though, and that was fine. I suppose my dog had to be rescued in the first place because it was neglected/abused/abandoned by unprepared/uncaring/idiot people.

I can understand the "children under 6" question - many small breeds don't do well with rowdy young children, and will bite them in defense.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Administrator
    A good breeder always will ask a lot of questions, as should the buyer. I've walked away from many dog purchases because the breeder didnt seem interested in the home I was going to give the dog.
    During the few times I had pups for sale, I asked tons of questions and me or my wife would not sell the dog if we were not 100% comfortable with the situation. Most people understood this, if not... oh well.

Even shelters and the county pounds operate this way... they want to be sure the dog is going home for good.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Oh, oh, oh...... I have to tell this story.

Way back when when I was on a tarantula board, this memeber was trying to get a live mouse to feed his tarantula. All the feeders were out at his ususal source, so he ended up at a pet store to buy a pet mouse.

The clerk made him fill out this form stating he'd read the care sheet and would promise to care for the pet mouse. He said he didn't want to fill it out because he was going to feed the mouse to his spider when he got home. The clerk said No, he couldn't do that, these mice aren't for consumption, they're pets. So sorry, sir, we can't sell it to you.

So he grabbed the mouse by the tail and slammed it against the checkout table with a big THUNK, killing it. "Can you sell it to me now?"

He got booted out and was told to never come back.
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

Quote Originally Posted by Betty View Post
    Oh, oh, oh...... I have to tell this story.

Way back when when I was on a tarantula board, this memeber was trying to get a live mouse to feed his tarantula. All the feeders were out at his ususal source, so he ended up at a pet store to buy a pet mouse.

The clerk made him fill out this form stating he'd read the care sheet and would promise to care for the pet mouse. He said he didn't want to fill it out because he was going to feed the mouse to his spider when he got home. The clerk said No, he couldn't do that, these mice aren't for consumption, they're pets. So sorry, sir, we can't sell it to you.

So he grabbed the mouse by the tail, slammed it against the checkout table with a big THUNK, killing it. "Can you sell it to me now?"

He got booted out and was told to never come back.

Administrator
    Holy cow, Betty. Funny story, but I cant help but think its an internet tough guy type thing.

Then again, there is a local pet store that I am know well. They sell pet mice and feeder mice. Both look the same and cost the same, so I'm at a loss at what the difference is.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Administrator

Post SIXTO - You Don't Know What The Difference Is?

"Then again, there is a local pet store that I am know well. They sell pet mice and feeder mice. Both look the same and cost the same, so I'm at a loss at what the difference is."

I'll tell you the difference. It's SO simple.

The pet mice are a lot luckier than the feeder mice.

or probably the Feeder Mice are the White Males - we're always taking a beating these days.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    ...probably the Feeder Mice are the White Males - we're always taking a beating these days.
    You're probably not far wrong... female mice make better pets, and many pet owners don't like pure white mice :) I'll have to remember this one :D

My daughters have pet hamsters that we allow to breed from time to time, as well as pet snakes, which we buy feeder mice for. You should have seen the reaction when I suggested using some of the excess hamster offspring as snake food!

(we also have birds, dogs, cats, fish, turtles, et al. Did I mention that my wife is a vet tech?)
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Personally i ranch for a living , and i can see a background check for owning an animal far more than i can for owning a gun .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Did they ask if he had a gun at home? Just like the pediatricians ask the kids?
    CW

When I went to get my huskies from the breeders, I had to fill out numberous applications, have a background check and demonstrate that I had the ability to raise these dogs. All in all it was pretty intensive. It was harder to get a dog more than a job. Now that I have them I don't regret it, but it is a bit of work. I consider my dogs to be very childlike, and wouldn't want them to go to just any home and be mistreated. Plus with huskies at least almost 40% end up in rescues as people think its just a pretty job and aren't up to handling an intelligent animal that gets uber destructive when bored or upset.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links