Whitetail hunt

This is a discussion on Whitetail hunt within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Whitetail season is coming up here in PA and I've always used a 30/06 for deer hunting. It's never done me wrong in open fields ...

Thread: Whitetail hunt

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Whitetail hunt

Whitetail season is coming up here in PA and I've always used a 30/06 for deer hunting. It's never done me wrong in open fields but it ricochets like crazy in the brush. I bought a Savage .270 earlier in the year to take out and try this season. I've heard it was better at cutting thru brush and doesn't ricochet as bad. Has anyone else used a .270 for hunting deer? Is it a good gun to use? I'll be hunting in an area about 70% field and 30% hedgerows and forest. Field distance maybe 250-300+ yards out at the farthest point before any trees. I like to get down and stalk in the brush too, but I don't like doing it with a 30/06. Since I've never used a .270 for hunting what kind of ammunition should I use that is a good combo of distance and power?

2. Remove Ads

My sister in law uses a .270 for white tail and she loves it. I'll see what kind of ammunition she uses, but I can tell ya, its a real tack driver. I've been really impressed with the rifle (Remington).

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    My concern is will it be powerful enough to knock down a deer at say 300+ yards?

The 270 will do everything the 30-06 will out to 300 yards with no problem, however it will not fly any straighter after bouncing off trees than the 30-06 does now.
    regardless of the myth of "brush bucking" bullets it just does not happen, a very small stick cut in two may not make a difference in a rare situation but usually any interference with the bullet's path is going to be a problem.

Unless you just want a 270, which is a great cartridge, keep your 30-06 and pick a better shooting lane.

Good luck!

Senior Moderator
    ANY bullet can and will ricochet through brush. There is no magic bullet that just "cuts" through the brush.

It makes no sense to go from a 30.06 to a .270 for deer hunting. Both are excellent deer killers but the 06 is more versatile simply because of the different bullets weights that can be used. The .270 is much more limited in that aspect.

If you just want to go to a lighter gun, the go with the .270, but be aware that not all .270's are lighter than their 06 cousins.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I thought they had stopped loading up those 30-06 cartridges with them bullets that ricochet.
    Darn, I guess I'll have to use my 6.5x55 again this year.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I've taken deer and hogs with both the '06 and .270 and they both produce great results. Neither one is more or less prone to ricochet while shooting through brush. All bullets will do that. Make sure you have a clear shot before you pull the trigger. Switching from high to low profile scope rings is more likily to help you than changing calibers.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

"regardless of the myth of "brush bucking" bullets it just does not happen, a very small stick cut in two may not make a difference in a rare situation but usually any interference with the bullet's path is going to be a proble"

Bingo!!!! There is no such thing as a "brush bucking" bullet.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    ANY bullet can and will ricochet through brush. There is no magic bullet that just "cuts" through the brush.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sig 210 View Post
    "regardless of the myth of "brush bucking" bullets it just does not happen, a very small stick cut in two may not make a difference in a rare situation but usually any interference with the bullet's path is going to be a proble"

Bingo!!!! There is no such thing as a "brush bucking" bullet.
    +1 to both of these. Don't take bad shots. You do yourself and the animal a disservice when you do.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Links