What to do with Pirates?

What to do with Pirates?

This is a discussion on What to do with Pirates? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; There I was, at the health club* climbing the stairs to nowhere. I was without reading material, and the only two monitors I could see ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Pirates?

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar

Thumbs down What to do with Pirates?

There I was, at the health club* climbing the stairs to nowhere. I was without reading material, and the only two monitors I could see were tuned to "The Ellen Digeneris Show" and CNN. Faced with those two evils, I took the coward's way out and watched CNN. They were reporting on the problem of modern day piracy on the high seas. The discussion went from who (bad guys, duh), where (off shore of lawless areas of the world) and when (whenever they can get away with it) to what. The "what" in this case was "what should we do with the pirates once the hostages If any) are released and the pirates captured?"

What came to my mind first was "shoot them", but apparently the CNN anchor's concern was where they should be tried, under what laws, where should they be held and subsequently incarcerated. I guess hanging them from the yardarm is out as well....

*And when did it go from a gym to a health club anyways? It sure looks like a gym.

Assistant Administrator
    The "what" in this case was "what should we do with the pirates once the hostages If any (ALIVE!) are released and the pirates captured?"
    Piracy to me is independent of nationality - piracy is piracy and those employing same deserve deep six and nothing better. It's akin to a home invasion at very least.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Keelhaul em then send em ta Davie Jones' locker!

Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    Keelhaul em then send em ta Davie Jones' locker!
    yaarrrr!
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Senior Member Array firefighter4884's Avatar
    Steam so that you're more then 12 miles off shore (out of territorial waters)... (aka 12 miles from land) and see how well they swim....

--Jim
    Firefighter / EMT - Always Ready. Ever Willing.

~Never do anything that you don't want to have to explain to the paramedics...~

VIP Member
    I saw a tv program about a year ago where pirates out of some country in africa armed with RPG's in small boats, were laying low, then chasing cruise ships threatening to fire on them. I think the pirates were basically looking for a paycheck from the cruise line companies to stay out of the shipping lanes. I recall that one cruise ship had some sort of sonic emitter mounted on the stern, it was a directional tone could be aimed at the pirates, and the tone would cause them to vomit, headache, etc. The cruise ship had some other non-lethal tactics which I don't remember now, because I was thinking at the time about the effectiveness of a pair of .50 calibers mounted on the stern.

As a passenger it wouldn't bother me, in fact I'd feel safer with the .50's, but could you imagine the publicity nightmare for the cruise line, that would follow if the pirates were killed as witnessed/filmed by the passengers? Of course there would be a publicity nightmare if pirates were to kill innocent passengers too.

I don't know about the threat level of the pirates off the coast of Africa today. I'm guessing they've either been paid off, or some stealthy plane or gun boat shadowing the cruise ships sunk the pirates boats and put 'em out of the pirate business.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Senior Moderator
    How bout hanging them from the yardarm?
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

Pirates have been operating at will out of Somalia where there is no effective gov't. We will even pursue them but stop short at enterring the waters of another nation (one with no gov't, no laws, and no navy, where pirates are based out of...)

Are there any maritine laws applying to piracy?

At the least we could remove the tools of their trade and set them free... 12 miles from shore while throwing chum in the water. The coast off Africa is infested with Zambizi (also known as Bull) sharks which are very aggressive...

JD
    Administrator
    Shoot them with the.....

A Arrrrrrgh???

Click the link, this is just too cool.

I read recently how piracy is alive and well around Africa and Asia. They hijack cargo ships for ransom and sometimes kill crew or passengers. It, according to the article, is a major problem in that part of the world. The only way that they will be captured is by some government force and that country would of course try them. Other than that I don't think ships on the sea are interested in capturing them, just fighting their way out of, or simply escaping from the trap they have set.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Shoot them with the.....

A Arrrrrrgh???

Click the link, this is just too cool.
    Nice!

I'm all in favor of the twin .50's, myself, although I guess the non-lethal methods can work too. As far as what laws to try them under when captured... I'm not too familiar with maritime law, but isn't the captain's word the ultimate authority? If he didn't want to waste the ammo on them, I suppose the next best thing would be to set them adrift after disabling/stripping their boat.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

VIP Member
    Phalanx, anyone?

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ship/weaps/mk-15.htm

I know it is for aerial targets, but if it can hit them, surely it can hit a pirate boat.

I remembered this story and thought it insane. "Pirates attack U.S. Navy!"
    I've got my money on the Navy. http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/wor...ate.attack.cnn
    CRIME..... LAW DEFINES, POLICE ENFORCE, CITIZENS PREVENT!

FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: [1] SOAP [2] BALLOT [3] JURY [4] AMMO!

Shoot or walk the plank.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Time to dig up Commodore Stephen Decatur and send him to those seas to put an end to that nonsense.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links