casting my own wedding ring

This is a discussion on casting my own wedding ring within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am thinking about making my future husband his wedding ring instead of buying one (also maybe making the band for myself). my ring is ...

Thread: casting my own wedding ring

I am thinking about making my future husband his wedding ring instead of buying one (also maybe making the band for myself).
    my ring is titanium and i am thinking of making his Ti as well, which I can do as we have a vacuum melting chamber in our foundry here.
    i will be designing the ring on a CAD program, which will be sent to a machine that will make the part out of wax or plastic.
    this i will use as the pattern for investment casting (pretty much you coat the plastic in a ceramic slurry, let to dry, melt the plastic out, and pour the metal into the ceramic mold.
    so here is where you come in.
    i am a metallurgist, not a designer.
    does anyone have any simple but cool ideas?
    pictures of cool rings online would be great.
    since you are all gun ppl i think our tastes in such things will be similar.

also if you happen to be a metallurgist, let me know, ill have a few questions for you as well.

Simple bands are my cup of tea. BTW, chics that can shoot and run a forge are way cool in my book.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    "Simple" is my taste, too, when it comes to rings.

I recommend you check out the designs at Titanium Era

I wear a "Dome" model ring that I got from them. I lost two prior to this one, and kept going down in size until I now wear a size 7, 7mm band on my left pinkie finger. It's there simply because I like the idea of having a circle made of titanium with me always. (It's not a wedding band or a symbol of anything in particular.)

They have a LOT of cool CNC designs. I guess theirs are machined, not cast, though (I think).

Good luck. I think your idea is very cool!

thats really cool, I'll see if I can't find any cool designs. I like my ti ring, but it has a diagonal slit in it with a black diamond in the center. rather basic otherwise. l==/o/==l <<like that

wow. looks like we do have a lot in common!
    i got my ring from titanium era. its this one:
    http://www.titaniumera.com/images/products/200/2402.jpg
    im definatly looking for something fairly simple.
    the ring probably wont be "as cast". i will probably have to do some machining to it as well. im sure ill end up trying a few times. i would like to see how close i can get it to the correct size accomidating for shinkage. should be easy for such a simple part, but making the ID too small and machining it will be easier. but since ill have to machine off the gating anyways, at least the sides will have to be ground down. thats one thing i havnt quite figure out how im going to do yet- what will be machined.
    i dont think ill be able to use any CNC machines around here, so I cant do anything too complicated.
    also would like to find some way to get a consistant finish on it, although the investment casting finish is very good, its nothing like a machined finish, so ill need to do something to make it all look the same. figure out how to make my own matte finish or shotpeen it.

and thanks for the compliment LBromBach
    (oh & its a foundry, not a forge )

Quote Originally Posted by S3ymour View Post
    thats really cool, I'll see if I can't find any cool designs. I like my ti ring, but it has a diagonal slit in it with a black diamond in the center. rather basic otherwise. l==/o/==l <<like that
    thats sounds like a neat ring. i dont think im talented enough to tention set a diamond in there tho

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Simple bands are my cup of tea. BTW, chics that can shoot and run a forge are way cool in my book.
    +1
    Lex et Libertas Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Why not do it in platinum?
    NRA Benefactor member
    Michigan Antique Arms Collectors life member
    Ohio Gun Collectors member

Opinions expressed here are based upon Michigan state law ONLY. Other state laws may differ. Know and observe your local laws.

I'm a simple traditional type guy as well. I have a simple gold band ("comfort fit" beveled edges) that's very similar to my dad's - not too thick, not too thin.

Austin

Administrator
    Lost Wax Casting...Cool!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    and thanks for the compliment LBromBach
    (oh & its a foundry, not a forge )
    My bad. I should have said "with any metalworking skills."
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by ttpete View Post
    Why not do it in platinum?
    cuz we dont have buckets of platinum sitting around the foundry?

Senior Moderator
    I've done a LOT of metal working in my day, but nothing as fine as jewelry making. Cudos to you for taking on the project. Most of my metalworking experience is with arch welders, brass, steel, torches and flux. I did SOME fine work, but nothing as fine as jewelry. Let me tell you though, the first couple of times trying something like this can be VERY frustrating.

Metal doesn't give in very easily. So be prepared to start over if you need to.

I've also not worked with titanium so I couldn't tell you about it's melting points and what you would need to polish and file it. Different metals act differently under heat and I would certainly recommend that if this is your first project you just stick to one metal. It is a PAIN trying to get two metals with two different melting points to behave.

The only "molded" metal working I ever did was with lead which is pretty darned easy as lead is so soft and has such a low melting point.

It does sound like a FABULOUS idea though. I wish you all the luck and a BEAUTIFUL set of rings as a finished product.

We demand pictures after you are done!!

Edited to add:

However, one thing I did find that I really liked to do, if you want to put some "color" or something personal into the rings, even if it's just a word or something on the inside of the ring, make your mold to be indented with whatever design you want, pour your ring and let it cool.

Then, take a fine gold, heat the ring to the golds melting point (so that the gold with bold with the titanium by melting right into every crevasse) and pour in the gold. File off the softer metal (the gold) until it is flesh with the titanium and WELLA you have a beautiful gold inscription or design made personally for you and your hubby that stands out much more beautifully than just engraving (and you are using a VERY minimal amount of gold as opposed to spending all that money on making the WHOLE ring out of gold).

I did this with brass on a project of mine and it turned out so beautiful (but brass is certainly NOT gold, so I'd be a little nervous to try it even though I know it would look gorgeous). Again, it can be tricky to work with two metals (and again, I never worked with such fine metals so I wouldn't want to fiddle with them until I'd had a LOT of time to practice).

Again, good luck.

Senior Moderator
    I have machined several Ti rings.

Usally the best and quickest way to hold them is in a lathe.

Get a piece of steel and machine the face of it.It needs to be a fine finish, a 16 or so. Then cut the center out of it just a bit smaller than the ID of the ring.

Then use Superglue to hold it. To ensure that it is centered, use the center in the tailstock to center it and keep pressure on it till it cures. This is best done with the refrigerated Super Glue that takes about 3-5 minutes to set.

Then take light cuts on the ID until you get the size you need.You can also polish or take light finish cuts.

When done, simply knock it off with a hammer handle and you're done.Quick,simple and effective.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    cuz we dont have buckets of platinum sitting around the foundry?
    True. I woulda thought they come in bars, or ingots and such.

Sponsored Links