Another purge of the gene pool

This is a discussion on Another purge of the gene pool within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://www.fox6.com/news/local/story...6b1dfe&rss=800 Murder and assault charges were dismissed today against an ex-Marine and his wife, who were accused in the fatal shooting of a neighbor whose ...

Thread: Another purge of the gene pool

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar

Another purge of the gene pool

http://www.fox6.com/news/local/story...6b1dfe&rss=800

Murder and assault charges were dismissed today against an ex-Marine and his wife, who were accused in the fatal shooting of a neighbor whose girlfriend sought their help at a University City condominium.

William Bennett Porter, 23, was charged with murder and an allegation that he personally used a firearm in the Aug. 3 shooting that took the life of 47-year-old Larry Kermit King.

His 22-year-old wife, who works as sales representative for a laboratory supply company, was charged with assault with a semiautomatic weapon.

"We're just really happy that this was resolved," a teary-eyed Nicole Leanne Porter told reporters outside the courtroom.

Her husband said he was happy "to get my life back on track" and anxious to get back to work as a weapons and tactics instructor in Twentynine Palms.

Deputy District Attorney Elizabeth McClutchey told Judge Charles Rogers that the decision to dismiss all charges against the Porters -- who claimed self-defense -- was based upon a thorough follow-up investigation conducted by her office into all of the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

"As a result of the investigation, we do not believe these charges can be proven beyond a reasonable doubt, and therefore we believe that the right thing to do is to dismiss the charges," McClutchey told the judge.

Nicole Porter's attorney, Kerry Steigerwalt, commended the "incredibly conscientious" prosecutor for making the decision to dismiss the case.

"What a way to ferret out justice," Steigerwalt told reporters.

He said the couple defended themselves against a man with a history of terror and violence.

"They did what they felt that had to do," the lawyer said.

William Porter's attorney, Kerry Armstrong, said his client was a "good guy" who did three tours of duty in Iraq and whose Marine tank was the first to break into Fallujah.

At an earlier hearing, another prosecutor told a judge that around 2 a.m. on Aug. 3, King and his ex-girlfriend got into some sort of dispute and she went to the Porters' residence for help.

William Porter tried to arrest King, then shot him several times in the back, and a bullet from his wife's gun struck the man in the neck, Deputy District Attorney Marcella McLaughlin told Judge David Szumowski.

The prosecutor alleged that King was retreating back into his condo in the 7900 block of Avenida Navidad when he was shot.

William Porter said he and his wife -- who have been married almost five years -- would be repaying money that family members put up for their bail for quite some time.

He said he was initially skeptical that the justice system would work.

"I went to jail for something I knew was right," the former Marine said.

The couple said they did their best to live life normally after they were charged and released on bail, and tried to keep the case in the back of their minds.

"Trust in the justice system. It works," William Porter said.

Sad to hear that this Marine and his wife were arrested, had to post bail, and are in debt for god knows how long. Good to hear that he and his wife came out on the right side of this shooting.

Also glad to hear that there are some people willing to stand up for their neighbors. He could have easily not let her in the house, and ignored her situation, as many people do these days.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Really sad to hear that they were arrested in the first place. Since charges were dismissed don't they get their bail refunded?
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Yeah, too bad it had to go through so much of the judicial process but glad of the result. I think if they had to use a bail bondsman, the percentage of bond they paid to him is the interest on using the bondsman's money.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

And what about all the money that had to be used in defense?
    That should be payed by the prosecutors office.
    The investigation should have been a lot more thorough before they were charged.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Quote Originally Posted by CT-Mike View Post
    He said he was initially skeptical that the justice system would work.

"I went to jail for something I knew was right," the former Marine said.

The couple said they did their best to live life normally after they were charged and released on bail, and tried to keep the case in the back of their minds.

"Trust in the justice system. It works," William Porter said.
    Right.....Some people are so gullible. The justice system is a sham. He went to jail, and now is in debt for god knows how long for doing the right thing...sound like it works to you? I'm calling BS. Can't help it. I used to be an optimist...then I woke up.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

+1 I can't believe he's in debt for posting bail. Are you supposed to not post bail and then sit in jail until charges are dropped or you are acquitted? I'd be a pretty unhappy camper if that was the case. Luckily the guy is Active Duty so he won't have lost any pay - but imagine if he was a civilian - would the Justice System pay his lawyer fees and for lost wages? The guy did the right thing and got screwed big time.

Austin

Distinguished Member Array CT-Mike's Avatar
    Actually if you read the story he is a former Marine who is working as weapons and tactics instructor at the 29 Palms Marine Base in CA.

I just realized I posted this in the wrong forum, should have went in the Armed Citizen Success Stories forum. Mods please move if appropriate.

Typical CA attitude towards do-gooders...God forbid that evil should be delt with in CA...gads I hate that place...

Should never have been charged.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links