First Guns Now You Can't Smoke Even At Home

This is a discussion on First Guns Now You Can't Smoke Even At Home within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Many have heard of companies not allowing guns on their premisis, now this Florida company says no smoking even at home. http://www.local6.com/news/14537611/detail.html...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Guns Now You Can't Smoke Even At Home

First Guns Now You Can't Smoke Even At Home

Many have heard of companies not allowing guns on their premisis, now this Florida company says no smoking even at home.

http://www.local6.com/news/14537611/detail.html

2. Remove Ads

"If you are too stupid to understand that smoking is going to kill you, then we are going to tell you that if you want to work for our company, you will not smoke," Seigel said.
    Who is he? The US Government?
    I don't smoke and I find this abserd! sp?
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

VIP Member
    Private company, their rules. Is it silly? Yes. Is it within their rights as employers? I believe so.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by OPFOR View Post
    Private company, their rules. Is it silly? Yes. Is it within their rights as employers? I believe so.
    Their only doing it for insurence purposes. Companies pay more for employees who smoke.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I keep waiting for a backlash. Won't the American people, sooner or later get a bellyfull of being controlled by those who "know best", or are we too far gone already?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I keep waiting for a backlash. Won't the American people, sooner or later get a bellyfull of being controlled by those who "know best", or are we too far gone already?
    Just where does this come down to anything about america ?? some folks who own an apt complex said no smoking .. do dont rent from them , dont work for them . Its just like taking jobs where i know i cannot carry then bitching about it ... come on ... get another job , dont whine dont ***** , fix the problem with your financial vote and let them know .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    another company i would choose not to work for , Illegal no , but damm i hope they are not fishing in my pond for qualified employees lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

This is a little different than saying no carrying at the office. This is like saying, if you own a gun you will be fired.

I don't smoke. I think it is stupid and I think if you do it you are making a stupid decision. I also believe in America people have a right to be morons.

This guy has stepped over the line but it is not the place of the government to punish him. Big Tobbacco should do it. They should run plenty of adds in the same travel mags he advertises saying how if you are a smoker, or do anything else he considers wrong (remember he mentioned obese) then will take your money but not you. Hit him right where it hurts, the wallet. I won't do business with him and I don't smoke.

It may not be illegal for this moron to insist on the terms of employment being your home behaviour but you are an idiot for agreeing and a bigger one for lining his pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    Their only doing it for insurence purposes. Companies pay more for employees who smoke.
    No he is doing it for a personal grudge because a friend died of lung cancer. It is in the article. He goes on to say he will fire who he pleases if he disagrees with their lifestyle and he can get away with it.

I don't smoke and prefer visitors not smoke inside the house. While I understand an employer saying no smoking inside, when they start trying to control what you do at home it crosses the line.

VIP Member
    It is basically the same as your home. It's their business, they set the rules. Don't like it? Don't work for them, don't buy their products/services. It's not the Govt mandating something, it's a private enterprise. I think it stinks, too, but I can't say it's not within their rights.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Non-smoking employees keep insurance rates down for everyone there.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Telling me I can't smoke at home?
    When the H#$ did we lose control of this country. You can tell me what I can do in YOUR area of the world. If I want to dance naked around my television smoking 12 cigs...it might not be pretty but it's none of your friggin business. I'd quit by walking into his office putting my feet up on his desk and lighting up.

of course I also told my last boss that he had the timing of a case of VD on prom night....I'm funny like that.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

This is not political - this is what a company is doing to provide better healthcare at a reduced cost for their employees. If you want to not smoke and have good pay and health benefits, work for them. Its a company policy - they provide you with healthcare, and are legally responsible for what happens while you are at work too. This is not a big deal.
    Then again, there's no way this company could know whether or not someone is smoking away from work. If they smell like smoke and have tar in their lungs, it could just be from hanging out in a pool hall or something. Oh...wait...there's no smoking allowed there anymore...
    The government making laws about the common good (banning smoking in restaurants etc..) is, IMO, wrong. This company choosing to get better insurance for cheaper by making rules about smoking is perfectly fair.

Austin

VIP Member

It is more insidious and more disturbing than you think

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    This is not political - this is what a company is doing to provide better healthcare at a reduced cost for their employees. If you want to not smoke and have good pay and health benefits, work for them. Its a company policy - they provide you with healthcare, and are legally responsible for what happens while you are at work too. This is not a big deal.
    Then again, there's no way this company could know whether or not someone is smoking away from work. If they smell like smoke and have tar in their lungs, it could just be from hanging out in a pool hall or something. Oh...wait...there's no smoking allowed there anymore...
    The government making laws about the common good (banning smoking in restaurants etc..) is, IMO, wrong. This company choosing to get better insurance for cheaper by making rules about smoking is perfectly fair.

Austin
    Hate to tell you this, but as we speak the drug testing industry is busy developing more urine based testing methods for tobacco use. They want employers and schools, and parents, and now maybe , who knows they will extend their plans to landlords, to test for tobacco use.

It isn't that they are all for good health. They just want to expand their testing business. They are busy trying to get key Congress Critters to endorse testing school kids for tobacco use. That's the wedge in the door. Hey, who can be against that? Right :-

They are busy trying to persuade employers to test for tobacco use. Hey, it might save insurance premiums? Right :-

There are all manner of things apartment owners are prohibited from doing, and one of these should be (and probably is in most sensible jurisdictions) prohibiting the tennant (rent payer) from the peacable use of the rented property. By that standard the tennant can darn well smoke inside, lease aside, because to enforce such a lease provision would be lousy public policy.

I don't smoke (much*), but I do resent high handed intrusions on individual liberties.
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

*I started smoking an occaisional cigar when I turned 60. Who the h,,l wants to live to 100 anyway, especially if you can't remember what the toilet is for.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links