Totally off topic: cigar room/area

This is a discussion on Totally off topic: cigar room/area within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Being that it's starting to get cold out and it's unpleasant to enjoy my cigars outside anymore (even here in FL since I smoke at ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Totally off topic: cigar room/area

Being that it's starting to get cold out and it's unpleasant to enjoy my cigars outside anymore (even here in FL since I smoke at night usually). I have an empty room upstairs and it has a 6x6 alcove in it with a window. Anyway, I need to seal of the 4th part of the alcove, but make it so that I can still get in and out of it. So a semi-permanent addition. I looked at thick curtains and shower curtains, but none we long enough. I want it to look descent, but not great. Any of you intelligent people have any ideas??

Thanks

I too enjoy a good cigar, but I dont think that a curtain will block the smoke well enough. One option would be to seal the space and put a air purifier in there. It's getting cold here in MO and I am in the same boat. I may have to move to the garage, but might get thrown out of there also...
    Semper Fi!

Engineers Up!

Same here, in MN its to dang cold to sit out on the deck and enjoy one. I live in an apartment, so no garage or anything that I could stay half ways warm in. So I basically just quit in the winter and start back up in the spring, try to keep any leftover cigars good until then.

Do you have room for one of those sliding doors that disappear into the wall? What are they called, a pocket door?

Quote Originally Posted by AmyH View Post
    Do you have room for one of those sliding doors that disappear into the wall? What are they called, a pocket door?
    That sounds like something I can go with, or even some form of it. Maybe I can find some sort of sliding door that I can mount on the side and the ceiling. Home Depot it is.

I walked around WalMart a couple hours ago just looking for something, but to no avail.

I'll post any findings on my Home Depot run!!

Thanks

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by alyehoud View Post
    Being that it's starting to get cold out and it's unpleasant to enjoy my cigars outside anymore (even here in FL since I smoke at night usually).

Thanks
    [Sarcasm]
    Man up! I have to smoke mine outside & it went down to 24 DEGREES last night! You live in Florida.......... & its 'unpleasant outside'..........
    [/sarcasm]

You could try some type of smoke eater.

Block it off with material....you can get curtain like material from a fabric store& make it any size you need.....make it as long as you want.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

+1 on the "slideing hide-away" door. I've seen one put in for a very LARGE walk-in closet. Also.....have you looked into something like a sliding glass patio-type door? Tint the glass and it may just fit your needs.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

AMH
    My old man use to do this and it worked very well. He took a couple of box fans and duck taped a high quality furnace filter to the back of them. It was much cheaper than a smoke eater machine and worked just as well if not better. We would smoke in the basement and my mom couldn’t even tell. Also he installed a ventilation fan in the window. They sell fans that fit perfectly in a basement window and they are easy to install and inexpensive.
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

I'll just smoke mine in the house and air it out afterward. A good cigar can take awhile. Might as well be as comfortable as possible.

A good reason to drink beer instead. Anyplace will do.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Didn't Clinton smoke cigars?

Cigar smoke does wonders for room paint and curtains...I'd still go outside!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

You could get one of those propane heaters (or even an electric one) to sit next to and just keep smoking them outside...

I think if you have a room in your house that is the cigar smoking room and you just put a foam seal around the door it will work pretty well. A buddy of mine had a smoking room in his house, and it didn't even have a door blocking it off. Just one of those air purifier things. It always smelled kinda stale in there, but in the rest of the house you didn't even notice the smell.

Austin

Thumbs up Outside !

I have a designated non-smoking area.....Outside.
    U.S. Army Veteran

If you can keep the air pressure in that room lower than the rest of the house, the smoke won't leave the room. A ventilation system like bathrooms have to contain and vent odors might be the way to go.

It's a nice night out, and I have half my cigar left, so I'm trying the "Every door and window in the house open" approach with lots of Fabreeze on hand. I hope it works, at least a little. haha.

Eventually, I'll have a cigar room in my house, but that's when I have about 5k to lose. :) I'll keep yall updated! Thanks!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links