High School Lockdown

This is a discussion on High School Lockdown within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; ***Mods, not sure where this goes, my apologies, if this needs to be moved, please do so.*** All clear at Plainwell Highschool after lockdown November ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: High School Lockdown

High School Lockdown

***Mods, not sure where this goes, my apologies, if this needs to be moved, please do so.***

All clear at Plainwell Highschool after lockdown
    November 8, 2007 - 10:33AM
    PLAINWELL (NEWSCHANNEL 3) – There was another scare at Plainwell High School, one day after the school closed for a security sweep.

Police found nothing Wednesday.

A 22 caliber bullet put Plainwell High School into temporary lockdown Thursday morning.

Police cars from the state, city and sheriff's department were outside the high school.

Inside classes were in temporary lockdown.

“An announcement came saying we had to stay in our first hour until they told us to leave,” said student Joan Giffels.

Before eight Thursday morning, the district says a parent found a 22 caliber bullet on the sidewalk. The bullet is no bigger than a quarter, but students in their first period classes didn't know what to think.

“They think someone's going to come in and randomly shoot or hurt someone,” said student Afton Rachut.

Their lessons continued but no one could leave any classrooms. Not until the state police brought in their dogs that are able to detect gunpowder.

Their search turned up nothing.

“We have searched every locker in the building and all the areas and we are perfectly safe and secure,” said Superintendent Susan Wakefield.

A few hours later the normal schedule resumed. It was a relief to students, experiencing their second security scare in as many days.

“We were all like thank the lord, o my god, it was so scary,” said one student.

The district sent a letter home Thursday with all high school students notifying their parents of what happened.

Several parents have told us in prior emergencies, they've never heard from the district.

Wow...just...wow. I am in total amazement of this hyper-overreaction...wow!!!

2. Remove Ads

Would it have been considered hyper-overreaction if a gun and or gunman had been found? The truth is you can never know. That is why we carry--and some say we are nuts. Better safe than sorry, especially when our children are involved.

Agreed S3ymour.

A perfect example is VA Tech.
    They find two students shot to death in a dorm, underplay it, don't announce it to students & staff, tell the press that the shooter has most likely fled the scene and is out of the town (at that hour I was watching CNN while working as I normally do and was like what the hell kind of supposition is that?!), and then bam later discover oops we were wrong.

Bullets and school don't mix, anymore.
    Where there is one now days there most often are more and they aren't commonly brought on site for science projects or show & tell.

Their reaction considering the times we live in was IMHO reasonable and wise.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Lock down = "shooting fish in a barrel"
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by obxned View Post
    Lock down = "shooting fish in a barrel"
    +1 obxned. My thoughts exactly. I hate those lockdown things. They serve no purpose but to heard the sheep into easier shooting groups.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

In my highschool, a lockdown button could activate, and all the steel doors would swing close and lock into place. An alarm would sound and all you would hear is "chunk, chunk,chunk..." as the doors all locked down. The purpose is a gunman in the hall can spray down the length as kids are running to get out and kill more that way then if they are confined to a certain area. Its definitely not a win win situation, but it keeps kids out of the hall where pipe bombs could be, or other gunmen waiting for them. Its basically a way of triage--who can you save until the police get there.

Senior Moderator
    So let me get this straight...

all we have to do to disrupt every school in the country is to drop a .22 bullet on the sidewalk in front of it ?

Thats wonderful. That settles it. We have now become a nation of certifiable wussies.Welcome to the new Amerika...where the mere sight of a .22 caliber bullet in close proximity to a school has teachers,students and even parents passing water on themselves.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    So let me get this straight...

all we have to do to disrupt every school in the country is to drop a .22 bullet on the sidewalk in front of it ?

Thats wonderful. That settles it. We have now become a nation of certifiable wussies.Welcome to the new Amerika...where the mere sight of a .22 caliber bullet in close proximity to a school has teachers,students and even parents passing water on themselves.

Girl dies after Colo. school shooting
    Updated 9/29/2006 11:24 AM ET

By Tom Kenworthy and Oren Dorell, USA TODAY
    BAILEY, Colo. — Memories of Columbine were stirred Wednesday when a gunman took six hostages, killed one and apparently committed suicide in a high school one county away from where the nation's worst school shooting occurred.

The gunman was dead four hours after he burst into Platte Canyon High School about noon Mountain Time. He fired at least once and took six girls hostage in a second-floor classroom. Four girls were released, and a fifth was rescued unharmed.

The sixth hostage, a 16-year-old, was taken to a hospital where she died, said Bev Lilly, a spokeswoman for St. Anthony Central Hospital in Denver.

Park County Sheriff Fred Wegener said it appeared that the gunman shot the girl and then himself as a SWAT team moved in. "I don't know why he wanted to do this," Wegener said...

The article can be found at; http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...o-school_x.htm

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

I'm a little surprised at some of the comments in this thread. Obviously as ccw's we recognize that their is evil in the world today. But I'm confused as to why precautions such as a lockdown or alarm should not be sent up when live ammo is found near a school. If you think that a .22 can't do damage, maybe you should speak with those at virginia tech? Or maybe your better off burying your head in the sand along with the rest of the sheep out there?

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    In part, I agree with the concerns over a lockdown causing more harm than good...for secondary schools...but for large university types with multiple buildings over large areas...I think a lock down can serve a positive purpose.

Rick

Senior Moderator
    But I'm confused as to why precautions such as a lock down or alarm should not be sent up when live ammo is found near a school.
    Let me help you then.It is an OVER REACTION caused by sheeple people.

A .22 bullet, ANY bullet is no cause for alarm. I'd be willing to bet that some kid found it in his pocket after a plinking session and just chunked it knowing that he would be crucified for having such a "deadly thing" in his possession in school.

Locking down the whole school for a bullet on the sidewalk is the most stupid,ill informed and ridiculous thing I have heard in a long time.

Whats so hard to understand about that? Would anyone here advocate locking down a school and totally disrupting class every time a bullet was found within a 100 yards of a school? How long do you think it would take the kiddy's to figure out that all they had to do was chunk a bullet in the schoolyard to not have to do anything?

Late with the homework? Chunk a bullet out the window. Don't want to listen to a boring teacher? Chunk a bullet. Don't want to take a math class because you hate it? Tell the teacher you saw a deadly bullet out on the sidewalk.

And Janq, I am not impressed with the article. If that was an attempt to make me feel bad it didn't work. What it did do was illustrate your thoughts on the process which is even less impressive.

Think here people. If you are capable of it...

All this kind of crap does is to "criminalize" guns and ammunition and make them seem as evil to the kids as it can be. For those of you that would recommend such action as locking down a school because of a bullet....welcome to the world of usefull idiots. The liberals that are shoving this crap down our thoats love people like you.

At the risk of getting slapped, I'll be quiet now. It'll be enough to say that I am dissapointed at lack of critical thinking skills applied by some people these days..
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Senior Moderator
    Would it have been considered hyper-overreaction if a gun and or gunman had been found?
    The lowly .22 bullet found on the sidewalk isn't quite in the same class is it ?
    Since neither a gun, or a gunman was part of this story, it is irrelevant. The story as it stands is an over reaction.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

Maybe schools should install amnesty boxes outside the doors?
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Perhaps they should post big signs out front that say "Bullet-free Zone"? Hmm...gee that'll help too. Seriously folks. Wake up and smell the sheeple drivel yer shovelin'. Some of you are starting to sound as bad as the folks on Communist News Network.

We've become a nation of pansies. We tell our children and those who we unwisely charge with their safety throughout the day to cringe at the sight of a small bullet on a sidewalk OUTSIDE. Then we tell them we'd rather them all herd together in big groups of fools and pretend nothing can hurt them because they're in a "locked" room full of other fools. It's the blind leading the blind.

Someone else mentioned triage. Please someone explain to me..LOGICALLY... why we need to be doing TRIAGE for school children. What? Getting at the root of the problem is too hard? Can't stomach it? Just about everyone here has made the decision to protect themselves via the one tool that is the last resort; the one tool that is the great equalizer. Yet, when it comes time to protect our children we're so quick to hand them over to damned fool sheeple that drill into them that their only way to survive is to herd together in a "locked" room with everyone else (and quite possibly the attacker) and hope the police stop the attacker before they all die.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links