What gun would you take? - Page 3

What gun would you take?

This is a discussion on What gun would you take? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Happiness is a warm 12 gauge. I've had too many friends shot with AKs to own one. Call me sentimental. Great design, though....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What gun would you take?

Happiness is a warm 12 gauge. I've had too many friends shot with AKs to own one. Call me sentimental. Great design, though.
    ...one jagged hole!

AMH
    Quote Originally Posted by exit42 View Post
    Happiness is a warm 12 gauge. I've had too many friends shot with AKs to own one. Call me sentimental. Great design, though.
    My old man is a vet and got popped with with one in Vietnam. Are you a vet? If so than thank you for your service!

Hey OP,
    Can you put a poll on this thread?
    The results would be interesting!!
    Join the NRA!
    The Second Amendment has nothing to do with hunting. It is about keeping the government in check. This requires that the citizenry is well armed and at all times has immediate access to arms.

Savage .22/20g.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Sharps 45-70

Call me an old "traditionalist" but it's big enough to bring down Cape Buffaloes and since it's the end of the world and their are no other people I wouldn't be worried about defense from bipedal aggressors..

Besides, it's fun to shoot using Black Powder loads.

Biker

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I'd have to go with something like a 10/22mag, enough power to take down fairly large game if you tuck it in their ear, but not so much to make small game inedible. Pack alot of ammo for very little weight, reliable, accurate, lightweight Just an all around good choice. If you're not worried about 2 legged critters, a .22mag will flat get it done for groceries.

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    If one, pump 12g shotgun... Remington 870P.

If two, the shotgun and a 4" .357 revolver... Ruger Security Six for preference.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

I've thought about this on various polls and stuff in the past, but I'm considering an aspect now I haven't before: ammo. If I'm alone, on a desert planet, island, whatever, I'm going to have a finite amount of ammo. So, if my ammo is restricted by space or weight, probably a Saiga .308. If I have ample room for storage of ammo, however, no restrictions, my first choice would combine the predominant posts which say AK and 12-ga.: the Saiga 12! (C'mon, you knew it was coming) Seriously though, the reliability of the AK and the versatility of the 12 gauge. What's not to love?
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

+1 on the shotgun. Has the most versatility assuming you have several different loads & even better if you have different barrels.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe while the Congress is in session."
    Mark Twain
    S&W M&P 40

I'd take my Rem 742 in 30-06. No matter what island your on, there's probally some left over -06 ammo laying around somewhere.
    The most and best is known to the man who quits his bed before sunrise... who spends his days on the mountains and forests...who bears the heat and cold and hunger and thirst, for the love of nature...to visit the utmost refuges of beast and bird .....Alfred Pease

Since you had to ask...

Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Administrator
    Depends on if I would have to pack it around or not.
    Ever carry a shotgun with 2,000 extra shotgun shells?

I would probably grab an ultra high quality Stainless .22 rifle and LOTS of extra ammo.

An AK would be a decent selection. I would go with the I.M.I. Galil SAR in .223./5.56 since it's overbuilt and as close to being as physically indestructible as any firearm ever built.
    Though it's on the heavy side.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Well I would go against the grain here, I would probably take my Winchester Leveraction .44Mag. Saddle Ring Carbine and as much ammo as possible. The Carbine is small, light and packs a wallop big enough to kill most game. The cassings are straight sided and easy to reload, and can be leloaded with black powder, If you saved the shells and kept your eyes open one might be able to come by the chemicals to make the gunpowder and if one was carfull just maybe reuse and reprime the primers. Allso one large animal shot could provide all the necessary things for making a bow or crossbow, as well as traps. For that matter If worse came to worse, with a little reverse- engeneering the Carbine could be made into a singleshot blackpowder. I would of Course take along with me as many primers and boxes of powder I could as well as a hand held Lee Loader for the .44Mag. and a bullet mold.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    A drilling (think over and under, with one barrel being a shotgun and the other a rifle) in 12 gauge and 6.5mm.

Administrator
    Not one person said (so far) that they would take a handgun.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

A handgun is what you use to fight your way to your rifle. I did think of taking a 1911 and a Mec Tec Carbine conversion, but decided that the laver action Carbine would be more practical.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links