Squirrel recipes?

This is a discussion on Squirrel recipes? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by 1911NM Ok, as someone who grew up where there weren't very many squirrels (ate alot of rabbit though), a few questions came ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Squirrel recipes?

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1911NM View Post

Ok, as someone who grew up where there weren't very many squirrels (ate alot of rabbit though), a few questions came up for me here. Scent glands?, know alot of animals have them, but where on squirrels. Hind legs? Also, cutting squirrel into 7 pieces? Do squirrels even have 7 pieces?
    Scent glands---I think it is the brownish fatty looking tissue in the arm pit, pull off when you cut the front legs off. If you miss some, it doesn't matter much.
    7 pieces if you save the head, as many do.

2. Remove Ads

If you still need some more recipes, try here, here, here, or here. If that's still not enough, try a Google search on "squirrel recipes". Gets you a little over 8000 hits. Gotta love the Internet.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Squirrel can be substituted in most crow recipes too.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Quote Originally Posted by nn View Post
    Scent glands---I think it is the brownish fatty looking tissue in the arm pit, pull off when you cut the front legs off. If you miss some, it doesn't matter much.
    7 pieces if you save the head, as many do.
    Yeah they're usually brownish/grayish fattylooking bulbs under the front arms and on the inside of the hind legs too. And yes they doo make a difference becuase if you don't get them they usually tend to make the meat taste like doo! ->at least that's been my experience. This is especially so if you actually cut into the glands themselves. Eeek!

As for the skinning/annoying hair sticking everywhere:
    #1 for keeping the annoying little hairs from getting everywhere...WET IT DOWN FIRST! THE WHOLE THING. Soak it completely.
    2) put it on its stomach. Make an incision underneath the tail right at the rump. Cut through the tail bone, but not through the skin on the other side. Fillet along the backbone from underneath the tail for about a half inch or so.
    3) Make two cuts, each starting at the opposite sides of the base of that strip you just made under the tail and extending laterally halfway around the squirrel, stopping just in front of the hind legs.
    4) Step on his rear legs. Grasp tail...Pull hard toward the head. Instant squirrel sock removal. You get everything all in one inverted squirrel sock with the exception of the stuff on the hind legs.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    Yeah they're usually brownish/grayish fattylooking bulbs under the front arms and on the inside of the hind legs too. And yes they doo make a difference becuase if you don't get them they usually tend to make the meat taste like doo! ->at least that's been my experience. This is especially so if you actually cut into the glands themselves. Eeek!
    Are they in the same place on rabbits? I had one that surprisingly tasted like poo. Maybe I overlooked these...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    You can also cut down on the hair issue by how you skin them out. What I do is just pinch up the skin on their back and stick my knife through and cut up, making a lateral cut. Then grab each side of the cut with each hand and pull apart, like pulling a sock off each end. once each end is peeled back enough to expose the elbows/knees cut the lower arm/leg off and cut the head off, then gut as normal. Takes a bit of practice but once you get it down it goes fast. And peeling off the hide inside-out keeps the fur from getting all over everything.

If you cut the tail just right, cut under the skin a bit and leave enough skin you can stand on the tail, pull up on the legs and the skin comes right off in one quick pull. This works 50% of the time, because sometimes you cut it too little and the tail comes right off and then you have a problem :(

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links