Squirrel recipes?

This is a discussion on Squirrel recipes? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I got a few squirrels yesterday, and I want to cook them for dinner tonight. Anyone have any good recipes for them? Thanks...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel recipes?

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Squirrel recipes?

I got a few squirrels yesterday, and I want to cook them for dinner tonight. Anyone have any good recipes for them? Thanks

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I got a few squirrels yesterday, and I want to cook them for dinner tonight. Anyone have any good recipes for them? Thanks
    1. Fry them like chicken for 30 min then bake in foil pouch at 325 for 1.5 hr.
    2. Simmer the big tough ones using spice of choice, I use poultry
    seasoning. After 2 hr pick meat from bones.
    a. cook rice - a- Ronni mostly done then mix in the chopped meat
    b. Put jar of pasta sauce in a deep pan add some cooked smoked sausage add the chopped meat add hot sauce of choice to taste.
    Simmer this with a tight cover 20 min. Then cook 1-2 cups of rice
    and mix in the rice with the other mixture.
    3. A lot of work. Cut the meat off 3 uncooked squirrels [ by the way all dishes are using 3 squirrels except frying ] put meat in crock add 2 cans cream of mushroom and 1 can cream of chicken soup [ no water ] red pepper to taste cook all day, cook 12 oz wide egg noodles as per package. Mix sauce and squirrel with cooked noodles and serve.

1. place on foil
    2. HEAVILY coat in butter(basically you want it floating)
    3. Salt lightly
    4. Sprinkle a good handfull of rosemary and thyme all over it(preferably fresh if available)
    5. Flip and repeat
    6. Slice up 2 small cloves of garlic drop those in there.
    7. Drip a bit of lemon juice across the top
    8. Close up the foil and fold up the ends so the nice juices cant get away
    9. Drop that bad boy on the grill.
    Just make sure you got those darn scent glands out of there when you cleaned it or you're in for one rough dinner.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Take meat, and add fire... Can you tell I don't cook much?

I've usually just browned the meat and cooked it the rest of the way in cream of mushroom soup.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

VIP Member
    I never cooked/broiled/set on fire/etc any type of game but I am guessing that you need to remove the skin first, right? I don't care how much rosemary + butter + garlic you can add, burnt hair still tastes awful.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Senior Moderator
    Fried Squirrel and Gravy

1 Squirrel; cut into 7 pieces
    1 c Flour; seasoned with
    1/2 ts Each salt and pepper
    1/2 c Crisco; for frying
    Milk; for gravy

Put seasoned flour into small paper bag. Put squirrel, one or two pieces at a time into bag and shake to coat with flour. Meanwhile melt crisco in cast-iron skillet. Put squirrel pieces into pan and brown on both sides. Reduce heat, cover skillet, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until done. Pour off about half the fat. Stir in flour from the bag until you have a very thin roux, or put about 2 Tbs. of the flour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and add milk, then put on the lid and shake until the flour is dissolved and all the lumps have gone. Make sure you scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add milk, stirring, and bring to a boil. If the gravy is too thick, add more milk. If it is too thin add more flour and milk mixture and reheat to a boil.

Lots more here and not just squirrel...

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/gam-squir006.html
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Fry the squirrels like chicken pieces. Then make a milk type gravy. Let the fried pieces simmer in the gravy until the meat falls off the bone tender. It is called "Smothered Squirrel". Same can be done with quail or rabbit. Grandmother's recipe.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I've cooked em' tons of different ways, others have already given some pretty classic recipes. One piece of advice though, whatever recipe you choose, get a big bowl throw in your raw squirrel cover with water and dump in a good half cup of salt and let sit for a half hour to several hours. Periodically going back and rubbing everything down good to get all the fine little hairs that you have undoubtedly got hangin around from cleaning them. you can skim the hairs out with a strainer or paper towel.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    I've cooked em' tons of different ways, others have already given some pretty classic recipes. One piece of advice though, whatever recipe you choose, get a big bowl throw in your raw squirrel cover with water and dump in a good half cup of salt and let sit for a half hour to several hours. Periodically going back and rubbing everything down good to get all the fine little hairs that you have undoubtedly got hangin around from cleaning them. you can skim the hairs out with a strainer or paper towel.

I'll have to do that next time... I was having the darndest time trying to figure out how to get rid of those little extra hairs that got stuck to the skin

STICKY! STICKY! STICKY! STICKY! STICKY!

Sorry about that, I'm calm now.

I soak in a real strong saltwater solution overnight, then BBQ it on the grill just like a chicken. Goes awesome with potatoes chopped up and fried in butter and oil.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

eat em raw

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Fried Squirrel and Gravy

1 Squirrel; cut into 7 pieces
    1 c Flour; seasoned with
    1/2 ts Each salt and pepper
    1/2 c Crisco; for frying
    Milk; for gravy

Put seasoned flour into small paper bag. Put squirrel, one or two pieces at a time into bag and shake to coat with flour. Meanwhile melt crisco in cast-iron skillet. Put squirrel pieces into pan and brown on both sides. Reduce heat, cover skillet, and cook for about 20 minutes, or until done. Pour off about half the fat. Stir in flour from the bag until you have a very thin roux, or put about 2 Tbs. of the flour into a jar with a tight-fitting lid and add milk, then put on the lid and shake until the flour is dissolved and all the lumps have gone. Make sure you scrape up all the brown bits from the bottom of the pan. Add milk, stirring, and bring to a boil. If the gravy is too thick, add more milk. If it is too thin add more flour and milk mixture and reheat to a boil.

Lots more here and not just squirrel...

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/gam-squir006.html
    This is the recipe I grew up with. Squirrel simmered in milk gravy. What HotGuns forgot to tell you, you need some bisquits or good bread to soak up the gray off your plate. Man this makes me hungry!!!

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    eat em raw

Ok, as someone who grew up where there weren't very many squirrels (ate alot of rabbit though), a few questions came up for me here. Scent glands?, know alot of animals have them, but where on squirrels. Hind legs? Also, cutting squirrel into 7 pieces? Do squirrels even have 7 pieces?
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    I'll have to do that next time... I was having the darndest time trying to figure out how to get rid of those little extra hairs that got stuck to the skin
    You can also cut down on the hair issue by how you skin them out. What I do is just pinch up the skin on their back and stick my knife through and cut up, making a lateral cut. Then grab each side of the cut with each hand and pull apart, like pulling a sock off each end. once each end is peeled back enough to expose the elbows/knees cut the lower arm/leg off and cut the head off, then gut as normal. Takes a bit of practice but once you get it down it goes fast. And peeling off the hide inside-out keeps the fur from getting all over everything.

Cut the cleaned squirrles up into 1" pieces and put in a ziplock bag with orange juice for 2 hours or overnight. Dip squirrel in beaten egg then in flour, pan fry till lightly golden brown. In a large pot add cooked squirrel, one can cream of mushroom, one can of Rotel, and one can of stewed tomatoes. Add a few dashes of Tabasco, a tablespoon of all spice, two large potatoes cut into small squares, two chopped carrots, a chopped onion, and a table spoon of garlic. Cook on meduim to low for two to three hours and serve over rice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links