Gun Buy-Back In Cleveland

This is a discussion on Gun Buy-Back In Cleveland within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A short unattributed story in my local news rag this morning reported that the Cleveland, Ohio police were offering to give a $100.00 gasoline card ...

1943 - 2009

A short unattributed story in my local news rag this morning reported that the Cleveland, Ohio police were offering to give a $100.00 gasoline card to the first 450 people who surrendered a working handgun on Saturday.

Police asked for the weapons to be unloaded and in a clear plastic bag. Story doesn't mention how many takers they had.

Will they never learn?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

JD
    Administrator
    I wonder how many crooks would be willing to wait for the line to go by and offer $200 cash?

It would be interesting to know where the funds are coming from, for this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    I wonder how many crooks would be willing to wait for the line to go by and offer $200 cash?
    Yeah, but what crook is going to offer 200 bucks for a Raven or Jennings .25 Auto?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Senior Moderator
    I've often thought that it would be a great way to get some good guns.

With some good advertising I think one could be selective. Offer say, 50.00 bucks per gun, all guns must be in working condition,rifle and shotguns accepted.

Rather than call it a "gun buy back", we could call it a "gun disposal program" to get the unwanted guns out of the homes of people that don't want them or simply don't fee safe with them.

Just think, all of those old Browning shotguns, WW2 vet bring backs, Springfields,Mausers, Lugers, Winchesters...all of those old little semi autos that haven't seen the light of day in years. The many Colt guns, single actions, ANY thing that "worked".

Just think of the treasures one might get...

Of course, you'd need a friend or two to help. The hard part would be deciding who gets what at the end...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    100 dollars in gas may last u two weeks, depending on the vehicle you have. I would NEVER give up my defensive tools for two-three weeks worth of gas. My life is worth more than that.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Assistant Administrator
    I did hear on CNN something about this - I really forget figures but it was IIRC not too much over 100 or so.

Of course - I can not believe anything owned by scumbags was handed in - probably just the well-meaning sheep! The whole principle of ''buy-backs'' is laughable IMO.

Can we say ''feelgood'' - not much else to be gained tho - predictably the ''powers that be'' will be dancin' all the way home because more guns have been ''gotten off the streets''... hah ... joke!!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Back in the old days a lot of "bad guys" would probably made 'Zip Guns' by the dozen and cashed them in. If they are having a no questions asked buy back some enterprising soul may just try it.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by raevan View Post
    Back in the old days a lot of "bad guys" would probably made 'Zip Guns' by the dozen and cashed them in. If they are having a no questions asked buy back some enterprising soul may just try it.
    Hmm, Cleveland is only a few of hours away...
    "Just blame Sixto"

Here is the story from cleveland.com

Posted by Mark Puente November 10, 2007 15:50PM
    Categories: Breaking News, Crime
    A line of cars stretched three city blocks downtown Cleveland Saturday while people waited to swap their guns for money.

More than 350 people came to the Convention Center to exchange handguns for a $100 gift card to BP or Dave's supermarket.

Mark Puente
    A few of the guns Cleveland collected today.
    Cleveland police collected 421 weapons. As part of the program, officers did not ask questions about the guns during the five-hour event.

Officials said they were not surprised by the response because the city has not held a gun buyback for about 10 years.

Officers distributed about 300 of 450 gift cards in the first 90 minutes, Deputy Chief Lester Fultz said.

These are moms, dad and grandparents trying to make the streets safer, he said, referring to the line of people.

"This is going to save a life," Fultz said.

The police department plans to destroy the weapons after entering each serial number in a national database to determine if they were stolen.

A Cleveland man who did not want to be identified grinned ear-to-ear when officers handed his wife a $100 gift card. "I am moving from the 'hood to the Heights and not taking my gun," he said.

Steel maker ArcelorMittal donated about $35,000 to purchase the gift cards and teamed with Slavic Village Development Corporation to sponsor the buyback.

Spokesman Adam Gifford said the development group spearheaded the effort after 12-year-old Asteve' "Cookie" Thomas died in September from a stray bullet in Slavic Village.

That's kind of funny that the one guy is moving from the hood to the heights without his gun. Like there's no crime in Cleveland Hts?
    Oh and I feel so much safer knowing the "mom's and grandparents" are handing in their guns. God knows I certainly don't want my mom or granparents to be able to defend themselves.
    I think it's a case of people are sick of crime, so they want to do something. But they just don't know what to do. So they do this.
    CW

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by seedoubleyou View Post

These are moms, dad and grandparents trying to make the streets safer, he said, referring to the line of people.

HAHAHAHAHAH IS all i have to say
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by seedoubleyou View Post
    . These are moms, dad and grandparents trying to make the streets safer, he said, referring to the line of people.

That's kind of funny that the one guy is moving from the hood to the heights without his gun. Like there's no crime in Cleveland Hts?
    Oh and I feel so much safer knowing the "mom's and grandparents" are handing in their guns. God knows I certainly don't want my mom or granparents to be able to defend themselves. CW

The same things caught my eye, rangerman2003. Was I supposed to be concerned about the moms, dads, and grandparents that had had these guns in their homes, likely unfired for years?

"I am moving from the 'hood to the Heights and not taking my gun,"

Well...when the wolf comes knocking IN the heights from the hood...hope you've got some of that gas left to run screaming into the night like a scared little girl.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Links