Did I just hang up on a LEO?

This is a discussion on Did I just hang up on a LEO? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; About 2-4 times a year somebody calls saying they are fund raising for a law enforcement organization. Today was one of those days. I told ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I just hang up on a LEO?

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar

Did I just hang up on a LEO?

About 2-4 times a year somebody calls saying they are fund raising for a law enforcement organization. Today was one of those days. I told him I did not trust his story, send me the request by mail and then hung up on the gentleman. Question is does any law agency really call for donations? If so who is going to trust those calls anyway?
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    About 2-4 times a year somebody calls saying they are fund raising for a law enforcement organization. Today was one of those days. I told him I did not trust his story, send me the request by mail and then hung up on the gentleman. Question is does any law agency really call for donations? If so who is going to trust those calls anyway?
    Yes they do, though I cannot say if they use a telemarketer or not.
    I support the NC Sheriff's assn by mail though the first contact was by phone.
    I also get call from the fraternal order of police and one for the NC state troopers.

Lead Moderator
    99% of the time you are hanging up on a paid solicitor who isn't any place near you or the police/fire department they are calling for!

Even with the no call list it's gotten so bad that I will not give to anyone that calls anymore, and I make sure I make that point clear to them just prior to hanging up on them.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    I don't even answer the home phone anymore unless I know the number. I get so tired of people calling for money!!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

VIP Member
    I don't care who it is...begging me for my hard earned money is only going to result in a negative response from me,and that is the nice part.

Administrator
    No, you didnt hang up on an LEO. Dont sweat it, as I woulda done the same thing. I hate telemarketing.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Some departments including some here in NH will use the services of a solicitation company. We avoided them back in NJ as they tended to skew the truth to build up the collections. If you really want to donate, contact your town directly. In any case, the towns get at best maybe thirty percent of the collections.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

A hand out is fine. A hand in my face is not. One would think that to be common sense, but we all know that sense isn't that common these days. It works as a decent rule for the street. It also applies to other requests or begging as well.

IMO, there are appropriate ways to solicit for funding. The primary one is legislative, if a public entity like a law enforcement department or whatever. The other is paid advertising. The third, though, is often employed simply because it seems cost free. Right. The intrusion on goodwill and time has a distinct cost, over time. The trick is to show that cost is real.

In this day and age of electronic telecommunications, abuse of it seems to be deemed a fundamental "right" by the abusers. My response: non-answer, a "no solicitations" message on the phone and at the gate, and (for the learning disabled) often a follow-up call to a senior person at the organization to cease and desist. Direct? Always. A bit harsh? Perhaps. But, it's seemingly necessary, given the gross lack of courtesy and sense used by many of those with their hands out.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator

Put Yourself On The National Do Not Call Registry

I am on the Pennsylvania Do Not Call & The National Do Not Call Registry.
    You can get yourself on it right on line...it takes about one minute of your time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~CLICK HERE~~~~~> https://www.donotcall.gov/
    My Telemarketing Calls Are ZERO. It takes a couple of weeks before you start noticing your BS calls starting to diminish.

Now we get maybe one or two tele-marketing calls a year.

Here is the LINK. It's a GOV site.
    Do It - Get On It if you're not already on the Do Not Call list.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Don't sweat it. You didn't hang up on a LEO.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Assistant Administrator
    Glad to say - the ''do not call list'' has saved me no end of hassles. I have from time to time donated the odd $25 but heck - as it was in the old days, if I shelled out $25 to every darned caller asking, I'd be near bankrupt!! It all mounts up.

I do and will support a very few select causes ... but other than those - I am not the best person to call!

I well recall the National Republican Congressional Commitee - calling me a good while back - asking if I'd like to attend a Presidential dinner in DC!! Only $1,500 ... sheesh!!!

I made the point of adding that not only was I not named Trump but - I would not venture near or into DC even if paid a large sum ... unarmed is un-American!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    They do call for donations, they tell me who they are and I hang up on them just like anybody else.

Heard too many scams lately where these telemarketers either were not even representing the group they purported to, or only a small fraction of the money they raise actually ends up with the people it's intended for. Love my caller ID. Unless it's family or friend, I don't even answer.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

M2
    And so what if it was a LEO? Are they any less annoying when they call than anyone else?

Luckily, our cable TV feed displays the incoming call on the screen, so we can see who it is before even moving toward the phone. If I don't recognize the number, I don't pick up. If by chance it is someone I do know, that is why we have an answering machine.

Cheers! M2

I got a call from the "Texas State Board of Police" or something like that a month or so ago. I asked if they were a LE agency, and they told me no. They were trying to raise money for officers and their familys shot in the line of duty. I told them I might donate if a department themselfs contacts me...not some 3rd party.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links