Advice on compound bow for my daughter?

This is a discussion on Advice on compound bow for my daughter? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My daughter asked for one for Christmas. She is a tiny 13 year old. Kinda wimpy. I'm afraid she wont be able to draw the ...

Thread: Advice on compound bow for my daughter?

Advice on compound bow for my daughter?

My daughter asked for one for Christmas. She is a tiny 13 year old. Kinda wimpy. I'm afraid she wont be able to draw the string back. She has shot them at a couple of camps, but I have no idea what they were. I have to admit, I know almost nothing about bows. Do they come with adjustable draw weights? Anyone know a decent, but relatively inexpensive one? My wife and I are afraid that she'll lose interest quickly so we don't want to spend a bunch until she sticks with it for a while, but we don't want to get her crap that will encourage her to give it up either. Any advice or input appreciated.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Browning-micro midas or adrenaline or a Parker-Buckshot? are suggestions my girlfriend has put up. She used to work at a shop selling a repairing bows,as well as hunting a teaching archery.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Administrator
    I would spend some time at a real pro shop. Santa may not be able to suprise her because of the importance to get a bow that fits her.
    "Just blame Sixto"

childs bow

Check out the Matthew Genisis it is adjustable for many weights and I believe it has no specfic draw length that too is adjustable. It is a compound. I too went thru this situation and getting a specfic bow for a child is tough they outgrow them fast this bow will grow with her till you see her real interest.

Before the Air Force, I worked as an archery instructor for a boy scout summer camp. +1 on the Genisis. Most youth bows are in the 15-25# range and are fine for taking small game at around 10-20 yards providing you have good carbon arrows. A pro shop will be able to measure draw length and provide good advice as to the sights, arrow rest, quiver, and safe targets as well as provide basic shooting instruction. Be warned, archery is probably one of the most expensive hobbies one could get into, but it is also very rewarding.
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by livetohunt View Post
    Check out the Matthew Genisis it is adjustable for many weights and I believe it has no specfic draw length that too is adjustable. It is a compound. I too went thru this situation and getting a specfic bow for a child is tough they outgrow them fast this bow will grow with her till you see her real interest.
    +1 on the Mathews Genisis. It will be a good value as it can be adjusted as the child gets bigger!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Thanks guys, ..that genesis is looking pretty good.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Links