Anyone work/own a gun shop

This is a discussion on Anyone work/own a gun shop within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I want to get a job at a local mom and pop gun shop. Before i started pounding the pavement, do you think they would ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

I want to get a job at a local mom and pop gun shop. Before i started pounding the pavement, do you think they would even be interested in hiring a part time college student who is eager to learn. I want to own a shop one day.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

JD
    Administrator
    Lima works at a mom & pop, well pop & son shop, they have a P/T College kid working there, he's been there two years or so.

Everyone's gotta learn somewhere. If you have a good base of knowledge I wouldn't think that they wouldn't hire you.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by JD View Post
    Lima works at a mom & pop, well pop & son shop, they have a P/T College kid working there, he's been there two years or so.

Everyone's gotta learn somewhere. If you have a good base of knowledge I wouldn't think that they wouldn't hire you.
    I agree...

BUT!!!!!!!

BE VERY VERY VERY careful as to what you "learn" at the shop.

The first shop I worked at was FABULOUS! All the guys knew their stuff and I could trust what they said. Every time I did some research into what they told me and the customers it all turned out to be correct.

In this shop, it's the opposite. There are some employees at this shop who know less about guns than my cat but they have no problem spouting out any old answer to whoever will listen. They give out BAD information and if I didn't already have a basis of GOOD information, my knowledge could be poisoned by their BAD advice.

Also, while some employees may know a lot about guns, they know nothing of self defense, defensive shooting, carrying (as they don't carry themselves) and just make things up as they go when it comes to that kind of stuff.

Also, expect to see a lot of unsafe gun handling. I wish it wasn't so but it is. Don't let yourself get complacent with guns just because you are used to handling them all day, every day (or part of the day, part of the week). Always remember the first rule of gun safety (All guns are loaded all the time) and you'll be fine.

Working in a gun store can be a lot of fun, but it can also be a pain. I've had both. I don't think I'm going to be staying long at this gun store. It's not worth the aggravation.

Be careful of what you "learn" and make SURE before you swallow it or pass it on to someone else that it is good, solid and reliable information, and don't get complacent about handling firearms.

Those are my two warnings.

I work at a shop. Prepare to have guns pointed at you, its a part of the business and making someone feel small for it isn't the best way of handling things. If you don't like that concept, get a desk job. When it all boils down, a gun shop is RETAIL, just like selling shoes, you will get bored, you will have to do inventory, etc. Make sure you know what your talking about, warranties on different makes, mag capacity, etc. because you will get tested, Mall Ninjas are everywhere and have nothing better to do then come in and play 20 questions to see if you know your stuff. You will meet very cool people and have some great conversations, learn alot, and its fun at the end of the day but its still a job, theres actual work involved.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Wow, thank you for the advice everyone. I enjoy doing acutal work, i've been bored for a while. Just school and staying at home pretty much all day is getting old. I figured might as well turn a hobby into some cash and learn as much as i can along the way. Just curious, what do you do when they point the gun at you? Obviously i will have checked the chamber before I give it to them, do you just have to suck it up and roll your eyes on the inside?
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Senior Moderator
    PAX had a REALLY good idea and that is BEFORE you hand the gun to the customer tell them to point it in a designated safe area. That way they know not to point the gun at you and if they break that rule you can remind them of keeping the gun in that safe direction.

Thanks limatunes, thats a fantastic idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    Wow, thank you for the advice everyone. I enjoy doing acutal work, i've been bored for a while. Just school and staying at home pretty much all day is getting old. I figured might as well turn a hobby into some cash and learn as much as i can along the way. Just curious, what do you do when they point the gun at you? Obviously i will have checked the chamber before I give it to them, do you just have to suck it up and roll your eyes on the inside?
    It honestly depends on the person, if its someone that doesn't know anything about guns ill remind them and step to the side. If its someone that should know better i will push the gun to a safe direction, sometimes. At gunshows theres absolutely nothing you can do and everywhere you look your staring down a barrel. After 2 of those I've become comfortably numb with the shop's guns, i know there empty, i chamber check them before I hand them to someone so im not to worried about it. Customer guns that come in are the only ones I worry about, people will do very stupid things with loaded guns and after a while when you think you've seen it all, you get someone that reaches another level of hell.

Its a business you need to love, theres not alot of money in it. When you get the job try to get involved with the computerized inventory and the books, you'll get a feel of what owning a gunshop is all about.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    I work for a gun shop here locally and I am a college student working PT at it. I have learned alot of good information from the owners and the people working there with me.

I agree be prepared to have guns pointed at you, and just enjoy it otherwise.
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

None of my local shops need/can afford the help. Anyone know of one in Phx Arizona area?

Gun shop

I started in a gunshop when I was in college. I worked on the computers, then became an apprentice to the gunsmith. I'm now at an indoor range and gunshop PT. I figure I've been doing this for near 15 years.

People will point guns at you, mostly they're unloaded, they don't know any better. You can't be mad if they haven't been taught, only if they've been taught and haven't learned.

Everybody has diferent opinions. If they're different than yours, they still might be right. Even the old guys that shoot nothing but bullseye might know something. People will appreciate hearing different, but honest, opinions more than B.S.

You might get a chance to help somebody learn to shoot, pick the right gun, or get rid of a crappy gun for a better one. Occasionally there will be a person that will really benefit from your help.

You will add to your gun collection.

Good luck.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    If you want to do it fine and good luck to you . I will say tho that you are a slightly better class of used car salesman , and you should remember to smile at the bs and sell the gun . On the rare occation that the job may require two brain cells to rub eachother be prepaired to smile ( see again this comes up ) and cheerfully impart your best guess as to what the person actually wants , and i do mean wants not needs . If it was about needs gunshops would only stock .38 snubbys and .308 rifles . Your job behind the counter is to not loose either the smile or the sale lol .

Edited to add that tho i never worked a mom and pop shop as a job i have " babyset a couple several times over the years for vacations , kids in the hospital , and other reasons .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I also work PT at a shop.

I will agree with the others, be ready to have lots of guns pointed at you. I haven't gotten used to it yet and I hope I never do but, it is part of the job to an extent.
    Our shop has a rule: You never hand a gun to the customer with the action closed. Always open the action/lock the slide back and be 100% certain that the gun is not loaded. When the customer hands it back with the slide closed or action closed, you open it again and check to be 100% sure that the gun in unloaded again before you place it back in the case.

You talk to a lot of people who know what they are talking about and a lot who do not. Some of the latter will be honest and tell you that they do not know anything about guns and some with try to make you think they know a lot about guns. It is usually pretty clear by about 2 seconds into the conversation who does or does not know what they are talking about. The ones who talk the biggest are usually the ones who don't know what they are talking about.

It is a job, just like any other and you run the risk of turning a subject or hobby that you love into work that you will eventually dread doing. So you might want to think about taking a job at a gun shop carefully before you actually do it. Even a job you love becomes a job you don't want to deal with at some point because after all, it is a job. Don't let it ruin something you like.

Good luck.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Great advice TN_Mike. I don't plan on being there for long (1.5 years left in college), i'm mostly just hopping to cure some boredom, maybe get some discounts on guns and ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    maybe get some discounts on guns and ammo.
    Now, that is one very nice perk. I get to shoot as much as I want for free. I can buy ammo at cost. I can by 2 guns per year at cost and I can buy any merchandise at cost plus 10%. So, I am for sure going to by myself a couple of guns at severely reduced price. And the first is going to be a service size, bi-tone .40 cal XD and I am currently lusting after.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links