Goin to bed, Front porch light on or off?

This is a discussion on Goin to bed, Front porch light on or off? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Every house in my neighborhood turns off their porch lights, effectively telling me when they are in bed. I'm beginning to think this isn't the ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Every house in my neighborhood turns off their porch lights, effectively telling me when they are in bed. I'm beginning to think this isn't the smartest idea.

What does everyone else think / do?

On side note: the motion light on the side of the house where my bedroom is, is on at all times.

oops just realized wrong forum section.

We put in those low wattage fluorescent bulbs and have ours on a timer that comes on slightly before dark, and turns of slight after it gets light. That is to say, they are always on when it is dark. This way, anything going on on the porch is illuminated.

That said, unless you have black-out shades, they can probably tell anyway.

Keep your shades closed at night so at least people can't see in and tell what is going on inside, even if they can tell if the lights are on or off.

FWIW, I sleep better knowing anyone trying to crawl through our window will be slightly distracted by the 200+ pounds of dog, unhappy to have their beauty sleep interrupted. ;-)

-john

My pups comfort me as well. 100+ lb Rottie sleeps on bed and 100+ pit/bulldog sleeps in his crate.

My porch light is kind bright, I'd rather have it that way to illuminate everything or anyone on it, clearly.

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    better to have the lights on outside so they can't see inside. I feel sorry for the dumb BG who breaks into anybodys house who is a forum member here. He is either getting a. a whole mag dumped into him or b. 2 whole mags dumbed into him
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I am man....I am fixing/upgrading my man-cave (read: wife said remove carpet and tile the floor, replace all windows, siding, and interior paints in colors I desire for MY house....as a Man, I said "yes dear")

In that reguard, I also replaced and installed the exterior security lights with motion sensors. While purchasing those new lights I found a light for the front porch that also has a motion sensor in it.....automatically comes on at dusk and stays on for an hour or so, then comes on when movement is detected, etc., etc. So the front porch light is always on now. Wife happy.......and if she's happy, I'm happy.

Prior to that I had the fluorescent bulbs like bzdog had that either stayed most nights or went off at bedtime.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

I have dusk to dawn photocell controls in the front if the house, and motion activated spot lights on all 4 sides. I have added automatic solar garden lights on all side of the house. The Christmas lights set on timers will be going up soon.

Off. They can tell that the rest of the houselights are off anyway, and I'm all about conserving energy and money.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

VIP Member
    With increases in burglaries (meth-heads) and a few home invasions, I've beefed up a few things here at the house. Kids are grown and gone, so now it's just me and my wife, and we really don't have any neighbors.

1. Motion lights all around the house. Front porch and garage lights are motion too, but they look like regular lights. No lights on for us at night, unless motion (read-possum) activates one of them. Living in the country we don't have street lights, etc.......it's DARK here at night.

2. Four camera system watching outside too with "night vision" recording to a HD.

3. We like dogs and I think they are a great asset in home security, it just so happens we don't have one right now, but need one.

4. Alarm system (fire, smoke, motion)

5. Guns
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamisou View Post
    Every house in my neighborhood turns off their porch lights, effectively telling me when they are in bed. I'm beginning to think this isn't the smartest idea.

What does everyone else think / do?
    You're right. Repetition and predictability isn't the smartest thing, for all the obvious reasons. All someone needs to do is camp out a few evenings, watching for patterns ... then, boom.

Certain lights stay on, some go on a random timer. Some are on a motion sensor. I occasionally vary things. I enter and leave at different times.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Wherever there's fried chicken or barbecue
    I like the lights off so that when I turn them on to look outside the BG will be a little blind from the brightness so I can see a little better than him/her.
    Pitmaster

HELGA: Where are you going?
    HAGAR: To sign a peace treaty with the King of England.
    HELGA: Then why take all those weapons?
    HAGAR: First we gotta negotiate...

VIP Member
    We have those photo cell off/on eyeballs on ours...I put on extra timers in the house when we are gone...or leave a couple of lites on...

exterior lights, front and back, on.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Mine are off; but, it doesn't mean I'm sleeping.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

sometimes i just like to sit alone in the dark with my .45 and wait...

Senior Moderator
    Off
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links