Does a little dog need a sweater in the cold?

This is a discussion on Does a little dog need a sweater in the cold? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I don't mean some ridiculous, pink thing so he is cute at the mall. I just got a 1yr old rat terrier, about 14-15 lbs. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does a little dog need a sweater in the cold?

Does a little dog need a sweater in the cold?

I don't mean some ridiculous, pink thing so he is cute at the mall.

I just got a 1yr old rat terrier, about 14-15 lbs. He was out with me raking leaves and and looked like he was shivering. Don't know if he's just a bit overwhelmed with the new home or what, it was about 38 degrees and breezy. We live in Michigan, it's gonna get much colder. He is going live mostly indoors, but I also hope to get him treeing squirrels for me. I don't think he should need one for quick pee, but...

Does he need one for trips to the woods or park? I kinda want him in hunter orange for the hunts anway. Is that normal, or am I being over-protective?
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Cmon , get him the pink sweater. No one will laugh.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You are no longer allowed talk to my wife. I already caught her looking at pink sweater at the pet store. Even if he were a girl dog: NO WAY!
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

A dog that small in weather like that, you might want to.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

Administrator
    I'm sure not a Vet but, if he is tremoring at 38 degrees then I sure would go the sweater route especially when the temps drop further down. And then initially not keep him out too long.

I had to shave my Cocker really short recently in order to keep her skin in better condition.
    She has pretty severe skin allergies & she really has an oily dead skin problem that is impossible to keep clean with her winter coat.
    I'm getting her a sweater this winter because her natural winter protective coat is gone now & I try to walk her every day.
    Without her heavy coat I noticed that when we came back in the house the other day she was tremoring and it was 45 degrees and windy out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~
    You can go for the Goose Down Jacket rather than a sweater and then you can keep him out longer.
    Google search DownDogs - $90 Bucks for your size though.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

He could camp out in that thing. Maybe I could make him a coat out of squirrel pelts...of course then he'd just bring his jacket and expect praise.

Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    He could camp out in that thing. Maybe I could make him a coat out of squirrel pelts...of course then he'd just bring his jacket and expect praise.
    Or eat it if he's anything like my dog. He downs squirrels hide and all.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

I would say your dog may need to get a winter blanket, and I've seen one's cheaper than the one posted above. Check for vet supply companies and you'll be able to find some. My inlaws bought some for their german short hair pointers for in the winter and the dogs loved them. My dogs don't need sweaters though....Siberian huskies stay plenty warm in winter!
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

ooooh

Perhaps some nice matching pink sockies and sandles too!

Dog trainer here. The smaller dog MIGHT need a windbreaker if a cold wind is blowing and the fur is short, but the most serious problem is the feet. Because dogs sweat through their pads, if it is freezing, or the ground is frozen, a small dog can lose 40 times more heat through the pads than through the fur. A quick pee is no problem, but when you are out for 20 - 30 minutes, a properly fitted dog boot and wind shield goes a long way to keeping the little fella from frostbite. Depending on your climate, of course.

Exactly - dog breeder/trainer here (not professional, just 20+ years of living with a dog pack). Paws and then body. Our little guys, llike Boston Terriers and a Jack Russell will start shivering at 40 degrees if out more than a few minutes. Once we see 30 degrees and/or snow, they get wrapped up if we want to have them outside for any length of time. Our husky and shephard will go to sleep outside with snow on them - and probably wouldn't tolerate a pink sweater anyway!
    One thing we found - old, small turtleneck shirts can be cut down to fit pretty small dogs with good results, just like baby socks for the paws, if you can pull them up a bit and just safety pin them to the shirt. Looks just dumb but the commercial dog boots can get expensive. For any real outings in the woods, though, they are the ticket.
    And......you can always stick your little dog in your jacket. I had one Boston who spent a couple winters inside my jacket. Of course he was not a bit spoiled.

Keep it indoors when the temps really drop except for a quick outing.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Thanks Bob and David. Somehow I was under the impression that dog boots were the scam! I'll have to find him some, and maybe then a thin windbreaker.

Dog boots are common on working breeds in harsh climates (i.e. sled dogs).

Now, ya'll don't laugh, but our 85 lb Doberlady wears a coat in the winter too. It's kinda cute, too.
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Wow. I can just see the pink boots and matching pink sweater...

If you didn't want your wife to dress the dog up like a girl, IMO you shouldn't have gotten something that weights <100 lbs. It'll still be the same dog no matter how its dressed....

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links