How does one teach a dog not to freak around gunfire? - Page 2

How does one teach a dog not to freak around gunfire?

This is a discussion on How does one teach a dog not to freak around gunfire? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; For the next step you can also use a .22, and drop some of those power actuated nail gun cartridges into it; you can get ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How does one teach a dog not to freak around gunfire?

Administrator
    For the next step you can also use a .22, and drop some of those power actuated nail gun cartridges into it; you can get those from a hardware store a lot cheaper than you can buy blanks.

This way your dog gets used to seeing the sight of a long gun, and will get excited when you get it out. All of my bird dogs got excited at the sight of a hunting gun. They didnt care at all when a AR was out, but the minute the saw a wood stocked shotgun or rifle, it was game on.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Also brilliant, sixto. And here I was thinking about making a mockup of a longgun with a pipe and filling it with blackpowder and firing it electrically. I guess I often don't see the simple solutions.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by havegunjoe View Post
    I have two Chocolate Labs I got when they were 3 months old. I would before feeding bang their dishes together. They would start to associate loud noises with something good. (Don't bang over them as to startle them. I used this method as a dinner time call.) I moved up to a cap gun when they were outside. I'd throw the dummy and shot off a cap gun. You want it to be fun. Out comes a gun associated with a loud noise and boy we are having fun retrieving the dummy. From there we went to a .410, 20 ga, 12 ga. all over a period of time. When I was confident that they were acclimated to the noise I would move up a notch. Keep it fun, keep it short.
    Exactly what your supposed to do. We have bred & trained labs for over 15 years and it all starts when they are pups. Dont be quiet around them and bang their stainless bowls together while getting ready to feed. We play games too when I bang them together, I will start playing the bang bang "whats that noise?" game. they love it and it always brightens my day when they start running around trying to find the noise....I actually think they say, its ok, she's blonde, just humor her......But by the time they are 5-7 months old, we have em running doubles!!

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    I've never understood how dogs could ever not freak around gunfire!

Their hearing is FAR more sensitive than ours is. And I've never heard of a hunter who put 32 dB earplugs into his dogs' ears...

If you went afield and fired your hunting rifle without hearing protection, wouldn't you be in pain?

So what's it like for a dog?

Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    If you went afield and fired your hunting rifle without hearing protection, wouldn't you be in pain?
    Actually when hunting I never tend to notice the shot. I think most hunters will agree with that.

I do agree that shooting a lot around your dog isn't good, but some doesn't seem to bother them.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    My dogs never did shy away,I dunno ...probabley cause shooting was always a "fun" thing and brought out the best in everyone around so the vibe was very good...think the dogs could sense it...it is an OK thing,kinda like getting to ride in the truck...

http://www.msstate.edu/web/media/detail.php?id=1812

Yep, they lose some hearing. There is the proof above.

So we dont take them hunting!! We dont do what they were born and bred to do!!

We leave them kenneled and in a completely safe and QUIET environment.

Tell you what....grab a shotgun....walk out to the kennels or backyard where you keep your hunting dog, and just ask him......Wanna go with me?

I know what his answer will be.

Thanks all for the tips. If you haven't guessed, I'm new to the dog thing. (well, I had a dog when I was 18, but training it didn't happen. We just co-existed).

Oh, welcome aboard, Brandy.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I have one dog that has always been very shy of loud noises (thunder, gunshots, fly swatter and so on). Since he's not a hunting dog I never tried very hard to train it out of him. But one thing I noticed, about two years ago I got another dog and she wasn't shy at all for about a year. I could go shooting in the back yard and she would stand by my feet. But later on, she got gun shy. So I guess she must have learned that from my other dog.

Maybe it works the other way around too? Could you break a dog of being gun shy by training it beside one that is fine with guns?
    Eat a moose... 50,000 wolves can't be wrong.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links