Police: Ky. Man Used Stapler to Rob Shop

This is a discussion on Police: Ky. Man Used Stapler to Rob Shop within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; As reported via ABCNews.com: Police: Ky. Man Used Stapler to Rob Shop Gimme the Money, or I'll Staple You? Ky. Man Accused of Using Stapler ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Police: Ky. Man Used Stapler to Rob Shop

As reported via ABCNews.com:

Gimme the Money, or I'll Staple You? Ky. Man Accused of Using Stapler to Rob Ice Cream Shop

ASHLAND, Ky. Nov 16, 2007 (AP)

A man wearing a ski mask used a stapler to hold up an eastern Kentucky ice cream store and briefly got away with $175, authorities said.

Gerald A. Rocchi, 32, was arrested shortly after he flashed a chrome-plated stapler at an employee of The Ice Cream Shop in Ashland on Tuesday and demanded money, police said.

Ashland Police Capt. Don Petrella said he didn't know if Rocchi planned to shoot staples at the shop's employees or use it as a blunt instrument if he didn't get the cash.

It didn't come to that because the employees handed over the cash, Petrella said.

Several witnesses saw Rocchi leave the shop and told police where he was headed, Petrella said. After arresting Rocchi, police searched his house and found money, a stapler and a ski mask, Petrella said.

Petrella said the stapler's chrome finish could have made it look like a gun "if someone didn't get a good look at it."

Rocchi was charged with first-degree robbery. He made his first appearance in Boyd District Court on Wednesday morning. He did not have an attorney at the hearing.

The story can be found at; http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/wireStory?id=3871745

- Janq

Side note: Two weekends ago I bought a Powershot industrial stapler to put up insulation. It uses T50 type staples or 9/16" & 5/8" nails. I paid $25.79 for it and bought it over the counter from a local building supply store. No license required and I picked up a box of 2K rounds, err staples, to go with it.
    This thing is dangerous! If not aimed at wood it will shoot the staple or a nail at a good amount of velocity across the room I am working on (103' deep) and if aimed at a person up close it would penetrate their skin and could easily take an eye. It like tons of every day stuff could in the wrong hands or rather mindset be used to injure people with no problem, just like a gun.
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Janq View Post
    Side note: Two weekends ago I bought a Powershot industrial stapler to put up insulation. It uses T50 type staples or 9/16" & 5/8" nails. I paid $25.79 for it and bought it over the counter from a local building supply store. No license required and I picked up a box of 2K rounds, err staples, to go with it.
    This thing is dangerous! If not aimed at wood it will shoot the staple or a nail at a good amount of velocity across the room I am working on (103' deep) and if aimed at a person up close it would penetrate their skin and could easily take an eye. It like tons of every day stuff could in the wrong hands or rather mindset be used to injure people with no problem, just like a gun.
    Janq,

Don't put this out on the web. The next thing you know, some idiot legislator (but I repeat myself) will try to outlaw staplers.

And remember, if staplers are outlawed....
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

BTW Mike same applies to nail 'guns'.

Three weeks ago I was using a Paslode brand finishing nail gun as loaned to me by a community member and he while demoing it stated that if slightly modified or the safety temporarily by hand disabled it can act like a gun and take squirrel.
    I already knew this. He went on to add that in Holland where he is from one is required by state law to possess a firearms license in order to purchase, posess, and/or operate a nail gun of any type regardless of power source. He is a carpenter by trade newly transplanted here in the states.

When antis say to me taking guns away and off the street will eliminate gun crime I respond; No, it won't.
    The truth is criminals will use other guns...legal guns such as these.
    For that matter I would too. I'd go straght to Home Depot or Ace Hardware and load up on ammo and guns and carpet knives, some of which are small and light enough to be carried OMG!!! concealed.

On a serious note though nail guns have been for some time now post gun & knife ban been used in England in specific toward crimes and atatcks of citizens as well as hammers too.
    Seriously. Run a query at the BBC news website and note the number of reports toward as much. Also note how often it's an attacker using one against an disarmed citizen as opposed to citizens using same to defend themselves from armed with damn near everything hooligans. :(

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

so, did the employees think it was a gun, or were they just dumb enough to hand over cash to someone with a stapler?

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    so, did the employees think it was a gun, or were they just dumb enough to hand over cash to someone with a stapler?
    Does it matter?
    If I were the employee I'd hand over the money as well.

Eyes are more important than insured for replacement money in a register, the register itself, or what other elese products might be on shelves in the store. Eyes can't be replaced and aren't easily repaired.

- Janq

No stapler, not yours. You could shoot your eye out.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

no, if someone pointed a normal stapler at me and told me to give them money.
    i would laugh. i have been in plenty of stapler wars. if he actually got violent enough well then i would show him my not such a stapler gun

For visual here is the stapler I bought and this thing is small and hand powered but by design powerful...

PowerShot Model 5700 Heavy Duty Forward Action Staple & Nail Gun

- Janq

yea that i may be afraid of. i was imaging the stapler from office space

For visual here is the stapler I bought and this thing is small and hand powered but by design powerful...

- Janq
    Actually when I was younger(and quite a bit more STUPID) we used to play with these heavy duty staple guns (yes one of those "here, hold my beer and watch this" moments -just like having paintball wars, but with BB guns instead...been there done that). Yes they hurt, but unless they hit an eyeball or something it's not going to anything but pi$$ you off. I've had them bury in me. Yes it hurts, but you can shake it off and keep on fighting. Somebody comes after me with a staple gun they better be wearing body armor.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

- Janq
    Hey Janq,

Great looking stapler and legal in all states for CC. Now if we can get a holster made up for that bad boy. Maybe in black shark.

I'm thinking ankle carry or SOB.

It's always us Kentuckians with the funny stories.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    I would imagine that the employees are told to hand the cash to anyone that poses a threat and demands money. I wouldn't want my teenager to refuse and take a beating or worse over 175 bucks. I bet you could hold the place up with a carrot if you tried.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Quote Originally Posted by BIG E View Post
    I would imagine that the employees are told to hand the cash to anyone that poses a threat and demands money. I wouldn't want my teenager to refuse and take a beating or worse over 175 bucks. I bet you could hold the place up with a carrot if you tried.
    This would be my approach too. it raises the question....How well does my employer pay me?
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Where can I get a holster for one of these?I think I found my hold-out piece!Seriously,in the wrong hands,this could really hurt someone.Criminals are so creative.Imagine the money they could make honestly if they tried.

Senior Moderator
    Anyone that uses ANTHING to rob by force ought to charged with armed robbery.

I dont care if it is a limp carrot. If someone threatens to illegaly take something that they have no right to or even if they threaten bodily harm with carrot, they ought to be charged accordingly.

The hard part would be telling you cellmates that you were charged with armed robber for holding up a store with a carrot.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links