Stay away from the flu shot

This is a discussion on Stay away from the flu shot within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; well don't, i'm sure its good for you. but i feel like dirt today, and i know (yes... b/c i'm a doctor ) it was ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stay away from the flu shot

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar

well don't, i'm sure its good for you. but i feel like dirt today, and i know (yes... b/c i'm a doctor ) it was that darned flu shot. 18 dollar of pure misery. on a good note, a went to wally world today. have to love WWB + gun cleaner kit+ extra clothes+ new ear plugs = 32 bucks. boy howdy.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I am forced to get the flu shot every year, but luckily for the last few years they have this new thing where you snort it up your nose. Works out great because once you walk out of the building you can hawk (sp?) it up and send it to the nearest patch of grass - no more flu shot! Stupid military...

Austin

Assistant Administrator
    Never been at all happy about what they all put in it ......... a Google search yields some very interesting data.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My arm hurts, and I don't fell 100% for a day or two after.

It has been years since I have had a bad case of the flu, and so I have not got a shot for quite a while.
    Aaron

If you don't protect your self, who will?

VIP Member
    Been getting a FS for the last 7 years and haven't had the flu...although I have had some things that resembled a cold..prior to that no way, ya couldnt get me to get one....

+1 P95 -

Lots of pharmaceutical mumbo jumbo in those shots - most of it not good for you at all. Its amazing what a normal human body can do when it gets sick - it heals itself, no problem. I think a few years ago the statistic was 20,000 people a year die from "influenza" in the United States. Fear mongering is a sneaky way to make money, but it works. 20,000/300,000,000 is like .007% - and generally the ones who do end up dying from the disease are the extremely elderly whose bodies can't fight against the virus anymore. A healthy person does not need any vaccinations. JMNSHO...

Austin

Have been getting them 10 years plus or minus, and nary a case of flu or adverse side effect other than a minor sore arm. Healthy folks should also get them if they care for the elderly (parents), or young 'uns I'd think.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Was a teacher for many years, never had one then, not going to start now... if it works for ya, great! To each his own in this case... I stick to the idea that putting the fewest amount of chemicals in my body is best, so I suffer through seasonal allergies etc. by taking an occasional Tylenol, but that's about it... although when not pregnant I do take Airborne on occasion as well... just as an aside, my kids don't suffer from flu very often either...
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."

"SA is a cognitive state or process associated with the assessment of multiple environmental cues in a dynamic situation" ~ Isaac

I've had the flu twice in my adult life. (that'd be the last 15 years). It's 2 or 3 days of hell. I've had the flu shot 3 times in those same years and that puts me up just like the flu every time I get it. But it only lasts real bad for 1 day, the next day is recovery. I'll take my chances without.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

It's funny...all these folks getting flu shots...and usually all they get out of it is...drumroll...the flu! Imagine that. I know folks that go and get the darn things every year and EVERY YEAR they're a mess for half a week. I haven't had one of those things in 9 years and I've only picked up the real FLU once. Funny thing is I've picked up small colds here and there over the years that last a day or two at worst, but since I moved out here I haven't been sick much at all I don't think. It's the tea. I know it sounds girlie...but I make my own tea fairly regularly since I moved here and haven't been really sick yet. I make it from the flowers(purple cone-flowers) growing everywhere out back. My great grandparents had told me before they passed away, that they used to make teas with them when they were sick(great-grandmother was native american). The only downside is that it tastes like ...err well...not good. I usually end up overloading it with honey.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

VIP Member

Healthy folks do need the flu vaccine

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    +1 P95 -

A healthy person does not need any vaccinations. JMNSHO...

Austin

True influenza, not the garden variety common cold, certainly does kill healthy adults. Even if you don't value your own wellbeing enough to take the shot, consider that not being vaccinated helps the disease to propagate through the whole population.

I used to think as this poster did, heck I'm healthy and I'll be O.K.

A few days of 104-105 fever, of being unable to get out of bed to get a drink or go to the toilet, persuaded me that I never want to go through anything like that again.

I've been getting myself and my family vaccinated now for very many years, and usually there are no side effects whatsoever.

Unless your doctor feels there are good reasons for you to avoid the vaccine, do yourself a favor and protect yourself.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I usually don't get one, but I did this year. They are free at work and I thought "what the heck".

No adverse reactions for me. I do have a wet nose and floppy ears now though. Anyone got a bone and a flea collar?
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Everyone at work got the shot the other day; I didn't. I haven't had the flu in a long time, and usually feel worse from the shot than the flu. O.K., not as bad, but I'll risk it!
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

my doctor, a personal friend, told me too NEVER take the flu shot and i haven't.
    Deer huntin' is a hole in the swamp where i spend my wife's money....

I know too many people that have gotten sick because of flu shots, so I have always avoided them. Last year I did get the flu, but it's been a decade since I think. Anyway, I recovered pretty quickly and I'm sure my immune system is boosted now. ;)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links