Another "good kid" gone dead...

This is a discussion on Another "good kid" gone dead... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ughh....another one. "He was always a good kid". Media outlets are having a field day with another "Taser death" (that they really can't even prove ...

Thread: Another "good kid" gone dead...

Another "good kid" gone dead...

Ughh....another one. "He was always a good kid". Media outlets are having a field day with another "Taser death" (that they really can't even prove yet because the reports on the investigations aren't out yet).

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/11/19/taser.death/index.html

Friends, family mourn 'good kid' who died after Taser incident

* Story Highlights
    * Jarrel Gray's uncle tells local media: "I lost my best friend"
    * Witness: Fight broke out after yelling match at apartment complex
    * Deputy who allegedly used Taser on Gray is on paid administrative leave
    * Amnesty International cites 150 deaths in asking police to suspend use of Tasers
    * Next Article in U.S.

(CNN) -- Friends and family identified the 20-year-old Frederick, Maryland, man who died after police used a Taser stun gun on him Sunday morning, according to a local television station.
    art.taser.file.gi.jpg

Amnesty International blames dozens of deaths on police use of stun guns.

The man, who friends and family identified as Jarrel Gray, was involved in a fight at an apartment complex about 5 a.m. Sunday, police said. Authorities have not released Gray's name.

"I haven't heard anything except that he's gone," Troy Thomas told WJLA-TV. Thomas, who said he was Gray's uncle, told the television station, "I lost my best friend."

Cassandra Rollings, a friend of the family, appeared at the apartment complex where Gray died, holding a large photo of the young man wearing a tie. Gray was a "very good kid," Rollings said.

Deputies responded Sunday morning to a report of a fight at an apartment complex and found four people in a scuffle, Cpl. Jennifer Bailey of the Frederick County Sheriff's Office said Sunday.

Eric Cargenas, a man who lives in the apartment complex and said he saw the fight, told WJLA that two people started fighting after a yelling match.

A deputy used a Taser on Gray, who fell unconscious, Bailey said. He was taken to Frederick Memorial Hospital where he was pronounced dead.

His body was taken to the medical examiner's office in Baltimore for an autopsy. The results of some tests could take several weeks, according to an office spokeswoman.
    Don't Miss

* Man dies after stun-gun jolt
    * Man's stun gun death caught on tape
    * Woman says she didn't deserve Taser treatment
    * TIME.com: Are Tasers being overused?

Baltimore is about 50 miles east of Frederick.

The sheriff's office has not publicly identified the deputy who allegedly used the Taser, but Bailey said the deputy was placed on administrative leave with pay while authorities investigate the incident.

Since June 2001, more than 150 people have died in the United States after being subdued with stun guns, according to Amnesty International, which has called for police departments to suspend use of the devices pending study of their possible risks.

More than 7,000 of the nation's 18,000 law enforcement agencies use the devices, Amnesty says.

Recent deaths involving Taser devices have received much publicity. Last month, a police officer at Vancouver International Airport in British Columbia, Canada, used a Taser gun on a 40-year-old man making his first airplane trip outside Poland. He died.

In a statement released Friday, Taser International cited the Vancouver case and said it "appears to follow the pattern of many in-custody deaths or deaths following a confrontation with police. Historically, medical science and forensic analysis has shown that these deaths are attributable to other factors and not the low-energy electrical discharge of the Taser."

A bystander's video of the October 14 incident in Vancouver shows the victim continuing to struggle after being shot with the device.

Taser International said on its Web site that the struggle "is proof that the Taser device was not the cause of his death." Cardiac arrest caused by electrical current would have caused immediate death, the company said.

"We are taken aback by the number of media outlets that have irresponsibly published conclusive headlines blaming the Taser device and/or the law enforcement officers involved as the cause of death before completion of the investigation," said Tom Smith, the company's founder and chairman of the board.

But Amnesty International, noting that coroners have determined Tasers were a contributing factor in more than 30 deaths, said such a link cannot be ruled out.

The devices use compressed nitrogen to shoot two probes -- connected to the device by wire -- up to 35 feet at speeds exceeding 100 mph.

An electrical signal transmitted through the wires contacts the body or clothing, "resulting in an immediate loss of the person's neuromuscular control and the ability to perform coordinated action for the duration of the impulse," according to the company.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array SixBravo's Avatar
    I hate Amnesty. Uhg. "They kill all these people who didn't need to die..." Right. What's the alternative? Shooting the suspect with a firearm? Getting into a wrestling match with them? Hate them or love them - they are a good non-lethal alternative in a pinch.

Anything that keeps the officer safe and the badguy subdued...
    The Gunsite Blog
    ITFT / Quick Kill Review
    "It is enough to note, as we have observed, that the American people have considered the handgun to be the quintessential self-defense weapon." - Justice Scalia, SCOTUS - DC v Heller - 26 JUN 2008

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by SixBravo View Post
    I hate Amnesty. Uhg. "They kill all these people who didn't need to die..." Right. What's the alternative? Shooting the suspect with a firearm? Getting into a wrestling match with them? Hate them or love them - they are a good non-lethal alternative in a pinch.

Anything that keeps the officer safe and the badguy subdued...

Exactly, what do they want LEOs to do... Let's just go back to Mag-lites and battons.

When are people going to learn, if you don't want to get tasered, don't act like an and do what the Cops tell you to.

Editede to add: ...Don't get me started on the good kid crap either.

Fine take away the tasers...let 'em beat 'em with sticks until they submit...oh wait...they tried that with Rodney King...didn't work out so well.

When they take away everything but the hammer...don't gripe when all the problems look like nails. If they don't have tools like Tasers then alot more people are (right or wrong) gonna get beat or shot.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

A "good kid" huh? Then why did the police Taser him?

I've been a "good kid" before - there wasn't much good about it. People's families often know very little about what's actually going on. Just my .02

Austin

Links