Peak Oil ~ Life After The Oil Crash & It Isn't Good.

This is a discussion on Peak Oil ~ Life After The Oil Crash & It Isn't Good. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A Different "Global" event and it's Not Global Warming. This One Is For Real Even And Will Devastate Civilization & "Life As We Know It" ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Peak Oil ~ Life After The Oil Crash & It Isn't Good.

Administrator

Peak Oil ~ Life After The Oil Crash & It Isn't Good.

A Different "Global" event and it's Not Global Warming.
    This One Is For Real Even And Will Devastate Civilization & "Life As We Know It"
    If It's Even Half As Bad As Predicted.

Click The Link To Read It All.
    It's a very long read.
    ~~~~~~~~~> http://www.lifeaftertheoilcrash.net/ <~~~~~~~~~~

"Civilization as we know it is coming to an end soon.
    This is not the wacky proclamation of a doomsday cult, apocalypse bible prophecy sect, or conspiracy theory society.
    Rather, it is the scientific conclusion of the best paid, most widely-respected geologists, physicists, bankers, and investors in the world.
    These are rational, professional, conservative individuals who are absolutely terrified by a phenomenon known as global "Peak Oil."

Another Exerpt.

"What does all of this mean for me?"

What all of this means, in short, is that the aftermath of Peak Oil will extend far beyond how much you will pay for gas.
    To illustrate: in a July 2006 special report published by the Chicago Tribune, Pullitzer Prize winning journalist Paul Salopek described the consequences of Peak Oil as follows:
    . . . the consequences would be unimaginable.
    Permanent fuel shortages would tip the world into a generations-long economic depression.
    Millions would lose their jobs as industry implodes.
    Farm tractors would be idled for lack of fuel, triggering massive famines. Energy wars would flare.
    And carless suburbanites would trudge to their nearest big box stores, not to buy Chinese made clothing transported cheaply across the globe, but to scavenge glass and copper wire from abandoned buildings. Source

Journalist Jonathan Gatehouse summarized the conclusions of Oxford trained geologist Jeremy Leggett, author of The Empty Tank: Oil, Gas, Hot Air, and the Coming Financial Catastrophe, in a 2006 Macleans article as follows, emphasis added:
    . . . when the truth can no longer be obscured, the price will spike, the economy nosedive, and the underpinnings of our civilization will start tumbling like dominos. "The price of houses will collapse. Stock markets will crash. Within a short period, human wealth -- little more than a pile of paper at the best of times, even with the confidence about the future high among traders -- will shrivel."
    There will be emergency summits, diplomatic initiatives, urgent exploration efforts, but the turmoil will not subside.
    Thousands of companies will go bankrupt, and millions will be unemployed. "Once affluent cities with street caf&#233;s will have queues at soup kitchens and armies of beggars.
    The crime rate will soar.
    The earth has always been a dangerous place, but now it will become a tinderbox."

By 2010, predicts Leggett, democracy will be on the run. . . . economic hardship will bring out the worst in people. Fascists will rise, feeding on the anger of the newly poor and whipping up support.
    These new rulers will find the tools of repression -- emergency laws, prison camps, a relaxed attitude toward torture -- already in place, courtesy of the war on terror.
    And if that scenario isn't nightmarish enough, Leggett predicts that "Big Oversight Number One" -- climate change -- will be simultaneously making its presence felt "with a vengeance."
    On the heels of their rapid financial ruin, people "will now watch aghast as their food and water supplies dwindle in the face of a climate seemingly going awry."
    Prolonged droughts will spread, decimating harvests.
    continued..........................
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    2010? I don't think so. Not with 85% of the US oil reserves untapped.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    Yepper...I think 2010 is a bit soon on the prediction. 2015 probably more like it or maybe a bit sooner.

But, here is what is posted concerning that.

"If the environmentalists get out of the way, can't we just drill in ANWR?"

While some folks desperately cling to the belief that oil is a renewable resource, others hold on to the equally delusional idea that tapping the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve will solve, or at least delay, this crisis.
    While drilling for oil in ANWR will certainly make a lot of money for the companies doing the drilling, it won't do much to help the overall situation for three reasons:

Reason #1.
    According of the Department of Energy, drilling in ANWR will only lower oil prices by less than fifty cents;

Reason #2.
    ANWR contains 10 billion barrels of oil - or about the amount the US consumes in a little more than a year.

Reason #3.
    As with all oil projects, ANWR will take about 10 years to come online. Once it does, its production will peak at 875,000 barrels per day - but not till the year 2025.
    By then the US is projected to need a whopping 35 million barrels per day while the world is projected to need 120 million barrels per day.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    2010? I don't think so. Not with 85% of the US oil reserves untapped.

the only problem is OUR POLITICIANS won't let us go get it! By the time DC gets around to changing directions.......prices will be a lot higher than they are now!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

VIP Member
    Having lived through the oil shocks of the 70s, I am both worried and optimistic.

We have the capacity to very rapidly replace a great deal of our fossil fuel energy with alternatives--wind, nuclear, geothermal, if we decided to act in a decisive manner.

There are clear technological hurdles to the use of electricity as a replacement for motor fuel, but they may not be insurmountable. Electricity if it were abundant and cheap, would easily displace fuel oil for heating.

The gloomy part is that we are leaderless. The Republican business interests destroyed just about all alternative energy research after the 70s shocks, and President Reagan put an end to viable process research in gassification of coal and shale oil extraction. Fusion research was totally abandoned as were the efforts to build the Super Conducting Super Collider--perhaps a necessary investment into exotic possibilites involving "strange" physical phenomena such as "anti-matter."

We are in much more serious trouble now than then, although nowadays as our population has increased dramatically since the 1973 and 1978 shocks--and this makes the necessary investment all the larger.

Good read and something I see as viable. Thanks for the link!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Exactly why I think we need to explore and exploit all alternative energies available to us. E85, biodiesel, waste oil, electric vehicles (preferably powered by nuke plants). None of them can do the trick as of the moment, and I understand why some people are hesitant to defend any given option. I don't understand why so many people defend oil so vigorously. Oil is bad. Period.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Restricted Member Array SelfDefense's Avatar
    Peak Oil == Global Warming == Global Cooling == Imminent Economic Collapse...

Or any of the many doom scenarios we are constantly fed by 'experts.'

Peak oil is nothing more than a doomsday scenario perpetrated by the same environmentalist wackos that are now espousing global warming (climate change if it is cold and rainy in your area) forest overgrowth and supressing technology and progress in the name of the rare spotted straight worm.

Certainly, we should strive to curtail our dependence on foreign oil by furthering oil exploration, drilling known oil reserves, buoilding refineries (there is more oil than we can refine!) developing our coal industry and most of all building nuclear power plants.

We should not be taken in by another hoax with the goal of controlling the people.

Here is one of many references exposing the peak oil nonsense:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/peak_oil/index.htm

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    Oil is bad. Period.
    Like guns?

Sorry, I could not resist.

OK, Alternative energy sources? yes, there are and plenty. Viable and inexpensive? nope so far and nope in the near future.
    We must get rid of the guilt associated with being the ones using the most energy in the world. Yes it is true but then again we use it to produce goods and services more efficiently than anybody else. There was a time lapsed satellite photo by NASA sometime ago showing the places on earth where polution was the greatest. From all the industrialized countries, US had the lowest emisions and some dirt poor countries had more emisions than 2 or three industrialized countries combined.
    Have you heard anything lately of the Kyoto Protocol? Not a darn thing, you know why? because all those who signed and were about to show the US how things are done to reduce emissions failed miserably. As it happens, they are decades behind pollution control in their vehicles and factories. Now the Protocol is pretty much ignored but they still blame it on the US for not signing.
    Supposedly China is about to become the biggest Oil consumer in the world, you think the Chinese are giving a hoot about pollution? nope, they don't care. They do not do enviromental impacts or preserve wetlands, they just raze an area and build a non efficient factory but guess who is gonna get the blame? Us.

I am not saying that we should not look into alternative energy sources, what I am saying is that we need sources that are as cheap as oil. When we achieve a clean cheap source, we will be in even stronger terms economically and strategically.

Europe and the rest of the world will feel the pinch much faster than us in anything energy-related but it seems they do not have the brain-trust to do something about it.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Actually, China is putting more and more stringent requirements on power plant emissions. Oil is relatively cheap, and we are used to it. But I don't understand what part of giving money to people that want to kill us is a good idea? I also don't get why we are so bent on spening gazillions to drill in alaska, when China gets to drill just off florida? Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Don't give Cuba money. Well, they are going to get it anyway.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Assistant Administrator
    I try not to be that pessimistic but for sure IMO the crunch is imminent and in part unavoidable - per a finite resource.

Sadly too little is being done - NOW - to plan ahead so as to have alternatives as well as tapping reserves we know we have.

I recall some piece not so long ago that suggested there was a huge oil reserve under the Rockies. We know that costs for accessing reserves will (inevitably ) rise as it gets ever harder to reach these deposits but - we are not out of oil yet.

Brace ourselves tho yes - comfy living is eventually gonna be on hold ..... and we need to have a plan. Several plans actually
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Honda appears to have a hydrogen powered car that may be close to limited production.It is on their website and I have noticed television commercials featuring this car.There may be hope.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I try not to be that pessimistic but for sure IMO the crunch is imminent and in part unavoidable - per a finite resource.

Sadly too little is being done - NOW - to plan ahead so as to have alternatives as well as tapping reserves we know we have.

I recall some piece not so long ago that suggested there was a huge oil reserve under the Rockies. We know that costs for accessing reserves will (inevitably ) rise as it gets ever harder to reach these deposits but - we are not out of oil yet.

Brace ourselves tho yes - comfy living is eventually gonna be on hold ..... and we need to have a plan. Several plans actually

Thats what i'm saying. Cost effective alternatives are great, but developed alternatives that can be called upon in times of need are priceless, even if they come with a bigger pricetag than oil. Lets say another embargo, or a wartime condition where shipping to us was under constant fire. Domestically produced energies can act as a heck of a crutch. Continuing to depend on foreign energy sources is a huge strategic mistake and can be our downfall.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    We should not be taken in by another hoax with the goal of controlling the people.

Here is one of many references exposing the peak oil nonsense:

http://www.prisonplanet.com/archives/peak_oil/index.htm
    Agreed...

Wow...how people buy into this stuff...in Canada they pay close to or over $5 dollars a gallon (and have been for awhile...and our exchange rate is very close to the Canadian dollar). Many European countries have been paying well over 4 dollars a gallon long time.

Regardless...we do need to fix our energy policies because in 10years, our children will be facing some very severe issues.

Oh...those that wine (left the h out on purpose) need to voice their concerns to the multi-billion per quarter profit oil companies. Sure don't see them showing much concern.

Rick

Might not be that long before the "Pre-Shocks" are felt. Consider the scenario if the coastline below Houston gets hit with a Category 5. Is that eight refineries offline for how long? Follow that up with a major terrorist attack in Saudi Arabia which knocks out a big percentage of their production and refining capabilities. That is just one scenario discussed in a recent CNN article. It would get ugly real fast, versus getting uglier more slowly.

Neither very attractive......

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links