How do you cook your bird?

This is a discussion on How do you cook your bird? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I know there are some good cooks on here, either professional or just people that like to cook and are good at it, How do ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you cook your bird?

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar

How do you cook your bird?

I know there are some good cooks on here, either professional or just people that like to cook and are good at it, How do you cook your Thanksgiving Turkey.

We keep it pretty simple, Large pan, foil cover until the last 30-40 mins to brown, Ole Tom gets a spritzing of spray butter every 45 minutes to keep him moist. Works pretty well and pretty darn easy.

I'm sure some of you really get into a "special" recipe, or method that yields some tasty birds. Let hear them, don't be shy, we want the "juicy" details, yes it was a bad pun, but it fit, so I used it.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array rangerman2003's Avatar
    i dont, i get to enjoy already prepared food from the rest of the family.. one of the benefits to not knowing how to cook as good as them hehe
    Calling an illegal alien an 'undocumented immigrant' is like calling a drug dealer an 'unlicensed pharmacist'

De inimico non Loquaris sed cogites.

Do not wish ill for your enemy, plan for it!

Quote Originally Posted by rangerman2003 View Post
    i dont, i get to enjoy already prepared food from the rest of the family.. one of the benefits to not knowing how to cook as good as them hehe
    Same here lol. I normally try to bring a veggie tray or something else I can buy at the store.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛAB…

Assistant Administrator
    Mike,

Been a while since doing a large bird but - my chosen approach is simple as all get out. I think we will do one this year.

SLOW - cooking ..... lowest regulo setting over night, and either in a huge basting pan or otherwise under foil. After the overnight cook - lift foil now and again to baste with all the juices - use of some good favorite stuffing is of course a good addition plus maybe a sprinkle of your fave herbs - some Oregeno, sparingly.

Once the prod with a skewer into the deep leg joints shows it is cooked thru - then like you and most I suspect - off with foil and crank up the heat for an hour to brown it all off, having before that poured off the main collection of fat and juices - which will be going into a delicious gravy!

Yum - I can taste it now
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

We're smoking one bird, doing another bird traditionally rosted (we're trying two small turkeys insted of one huge one this year), AND a pork roast over the grill.

I'm hungry.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Senior Member Array Daddy Warcrimes's Avatar
    I prep it by smothering it in a butter/garlic salt mix. It goes in the pan surrounded by mixed vegetables (broccoli, carrots, etc). I cook it on a charcoal grill (indirect) for about 3 hours or until done. Baste ever 30 minutes and have a jug of water/garlic salt nearby.

You know the turkey is done right when the wings fall off under their own weight.

Mostly taken from here http://www.weber.com/bbq/pub/recipe/...c=poultry&r=37
    "and suddenly I can not hold back my sword hand's anger"

DaddyWarcrimes.com

We're frying ours in peanut oil again this year. Makes for a really moist turkey!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

set the oven to 350, put cheesecloth (soaked in butter) over the bird and put an apple inside the bird. guten apetite!
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Administrator
    Vegetarians...Please Enjoy Your Tofu Turkey this Thanksgiving.
    A very special time of the year where we give special thanks for soybean milk products.
    Why did they bother making it LOOK like a Turkey?
    Most PETA People would not even want to eat a Pretend Turkey that even looked like a bird.

Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Vegetarians...Please Enjoy Your Tofu Turkey this Thanksgiving.
    A very special time of the year where we give special thanks for soybean milk products.
    Why did they bother making it LOOK like a Turkey?
    Most PETA People would not even want to eat a Pretend Turkey that even looked like a bird.

I think I just lost my appetite.
    PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals
    Last edited by packinnova; November 20th, 2007 at 03:18 PM. Reason: edit
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Rub olive oil, oregeno and sea salt on the bird.
    Wrap in burbon soaked cheese cloth. Add some more burboun to the bottom of the pan and cover (dont worry the alcohol cooks off in the oven)
    Set oven to 325 and cook for 6 hours.

mm mmm tender

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Rub olive oil, oregeno and sea salt on the bird.
    Wrap in burbon soaked cheese cloth. Add some more burboun to the bottom of the pan and cover (dont worry the alcohol cooks off in the oven)
    I was with you till that last part.
    Set oven to 325 and cook for 6 hours.

mm mmm tender
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

My wife uses the cooking bags when cooking a turkey in the oven. She puts the turkey in the bag per directions and puts it all in a disposable aluminum foil pan.

It cooks up good and tender.

I also deep fry one as we usually have a crowd at our house.

Prep my bird by butterflying it. Then I put it in a brine. Then I smoke it with hickory wood in my smoker until the breast meat gets to about 155*. Let it rest for about 30 minutes. The breast meat will get up to 165* while resting.

Carve it and enjoy!
    Courage is being scared to death - but saddling up anyway.

John Wayne

not old enough to be the one in charge of the turkey yet.
    im in charge of apple pies. mm the house smells good now

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links