I need a squirrel to train my dog, can you spare one?

This is a discussion on I need a squirrel to train my dog, can you spare one? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I admit it. I'm a rotten hunter and never get to shoot anything when I go out. So I went and got a dog I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need a squirrel to train my dog, can you spare one?

I need a squirrel to train my dog, can you spare one?

I admit it. I'm a rotten hunter and never get to shoot anything when I go out. So I went and got a dog I hope to turn into a squirrel dog. Now I am begging (like those pathetic people that beg for stuff) for a squirrel to get my dog started. I admit I don't know a lot, so any other tips or links to good sources would be appreciated.

So anyone who can spare a squirrel (maybe not even the whole thing, just the tail might help?) anywhere near Detroit, let me know. Just throw it in the freezer until we can meet up.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

2. Remove Ads

i got 1000's in my front yard...
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

I got some in my back yard. Don't think it's legal to trap one in the city though...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!

Lead Moderator
    Squirrel dog? Never heard of such a thing. Maybe find a gun club and buddy up with someone who has hunted em before? Ever tried skinning a squirrel? I did once and will not shoot another unless I really, really need something to eat.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Squirrel dog? Never heard of such a thing. Maybe find a gun club and buddy up with someone who has hunted em before? Ever tried skinning a squirrel? I did once and will not shoot another unless I really, really need something to eat.
    It was a chore, but I've got some tips that hopefully make it easier. I've got around $800 in equipment (including ammo and range time) and fuel in squirrel hunting. I've nailed one squirrel. Thats around $800/lb. I want to start recovering my investment.

squirril is soooo yummy, and rather easy to clean once you figure it out.

Administrator
    I'll ask my dog if you can have one of his squirrels.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    im going to be honest here, i used to hunt squirll w/ my grandpa when I was like really young. I'm not sure it was leagl, we just went into the woods and he gave me a .22 marlin w/ a crappy scope, but it was sighted in, and he taught me how to shoot rifles like this. We would come home with only the squirlls i shot and that was like 5 of them. Are you being patient enough???
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LBrombach View Post
    It was a chore, but I've got some tips that hopefully make it easier. I've got around $800 in equipment (including ammo and range time) and fuel in squirrel hunting. I've nailed one squirrel. Thats around $800/lb. I want to start recovering my investment.
    So clue us in on your hunting hardware and costs. I used a .22 rifle to bag em myself. Why all the costs?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'll ask my Doberlady to save you one. She bags them pretty regularly. Or come on down and visit. Bring the dog, and mine'll train yours......

I can't spare any squirrels for dog training. I turn all mine into squirrel gravy. Yum!
    "There is no such thing as too much ammo. Unless you're swimming!"

Quote Originally Posted by SilenceDoGood View Post
    im going to be honest here, i used to hunt squirll w/ my grandpa when I was like really young. I'm not sure it was leagl, we just went into the woods and he gave me a .22 marlin w/ a crappy scope, but it was sighted in, and he taught me how to shoot rifles like this. We would come home with only the squirlls i shot and that was like 5 of them. Are you being patient enough???
    Patient? I'm sure not. Sometimes when I go out to the state rec area I can't even find any sign. No mast trees or dens. The area that was littered with squirrels for my first, and only successful hunt, has been devoid of squirrels for the 2 years after that. I could've taken more that first year but they were skylined and I didn't want to fire a .22 without a backstop. Last christmas santa brought me a .22/410 over/under. The .410 is pretty short range and I'm hoping the dog can corner them for me. Plus a hunting buddy would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    So clue us in on your hunting hardware and costs. I used a .22 rifle to bag em myself. Why all the costs?
    -my first .22 is a shiny new marlin 880 stainless, plus scope and rings. ~$230
    -10 trips to the range at $20/hr, plus ammo~$230
    -3 years of park passes =$75
    -about 8 trips to the parks, (fuel)$15/trip (depends on car)~$120
    -3years hunting licenses=$45
    -hunters' education (2 trips, 3 hours driving each time in an old F-150 that got 11MPG), because it was the only place that had a class when the hunting bug bit me)~$100
    -my new as of last year over/under .22/410, plus red dot sight and several trips to the range~$450

Grand approximate total=$1250!

HOLY COW! Thats much worse than I thought. In the name of being fiscally responsible, I now have to kill about 1500 squirrels to make sure this pays off!

First rule of squirrel hunting. Find a place with squirrels (as hunters, we call this scouting). For a general recomendation try a river bottom area with lots of hardwood trees. If you are not going to a place with some squirrels then you are just taking a walk in the woods with a .22.

Indeed gumbo, I don't call it hunting anymore. I tell the wife I'm going "gunwalking."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links