Things we can be thankful for.

This is a discussion on Things we can be thankful for. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; With the holiday coming known as Thanksgiving I thought maybe we should take a moment to talk about the things we really are thankful for. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things we can be thankful for.

Things we can be thankful for.

With the holiday coming known as Thanksgiving I thought maybe we should take a moment to talk about the things we really are thankful for.

I'm a Christian and I'm thankful to my God for his Son and all he did. While that may not be politically correct, tough! It's what I believe and I'm thankful for it!!!

I'm thankful for a beautiful wife of over 26 years now. Though we have faced financial hard times, natural disasters, a terrible disease that's brought her near death she is still the most wonderful, loving and giving person I know.

I'm thankful for a son who avoided so many pitfalls to become a decent, honest and hardworking man.

I'm thankful that I can live in a free country that allows me to arm and defend myself and family.

I'm thankful that we have a free country that has allowed me to start and run a business and work hard to improve the lot of myself and family. Further that I can spend my earnings on what I darn well please as long as it's legal!

Sure, there are lot's of things I'd like to gripe about but that's not the point of this. I've been in some places in this world where I could not say some of the above so for that I'm thankful.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    True Eric - for all that may be wrong that we see - let us be indeed thankful for so much.

I am truly thankful to have become a citizen of the greatest place on earth and have a wife I'd die for. I have kids that are so very special and they have produced very wonderful grandchildren.

I even give thanks to along with so much to have the esteemed company I so often find on our forums here.

The thanks list is very long in fact - I excercize it daily.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Eric,

Thanks for starting this thread.

+1 to your comments about God's grace.

In addition, I am blessed with an incredible woman who has no idea just how incredible she is (she puts up with me...'nuff said), 4 fabulous children, 2 wonderful daughters-in-law, a perfect new granddaughter, and the dog isn't too bad either.

My health...
    My nation, right or wrong...
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Number one, first and foremost, I'm thankful for my husband! JD, you are the greatest husband a woman could ever ask for.

My family. My country. My life. My home. My kitties.

If I listed everything I was thankful for I'd be here all night.

For me, it's not about being thankful for things I can list. It's about being thankful for all the things I can't find words enough to put into lists.

JD
    Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Lima
    For me, it's not about being thankful for things I can list. It's about being thankful for all the things I can't find words enough to put into lists.
    ...Dang it why did she have to post first.

I'll be thankful when Lima's holsters come in and I can have mine back.

Obviously I'm thankful for Lima, even though she steals my leather.

I think she summed it up quite well above.

I'm happy about having Thursday and Friday off. And turkey. And stuffing. And gravy. Not to mention a good wine to go with it all. Did I mention pumpkin pie?

And then, there are the Dallas Cowboys at 9-1! And the San Antonio Spurs going for another championship.

Lots to be happy about.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

A God who cares...
    A wife of 36 years...
    Two sons...
    Two grandchildren...
    Good health...
    Many learned, life lessons (lots more to learn)...
    A great place to live (country, state, home)...
    Many more things I know that I'm probably taking for granted...

To a great forum...may you all enjoy the holiday weekend!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm thankful for my family and friends who put up with me and all my antics over all the years.

I'm thankful I got the chance to spend this Thanksgiving with my family and friends, who knows when the next time that will happen may be.

I'm thankful that I have pretty much the greatest job in the world, getting paid to go camping and shoot all the bullets you guys have paid for.

And I'm thankful for all the veterans, brothers in arms and fallen heroes who have made all that possible.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

- my loving fiance, without whom i dont know what i would do
    - my family, who have always been behind me, even when they dont agree with what i am doing
    - my country, my freedom, my rights
    - my friends, even though most are far far away
    - my education, may i never stop learning
    - this earth, there nothing like being outside in the woods
    - those who give, whether it is risking their life for my freedoms, or helping the needy, or just a smile. i thank all of you
    - pets, what can i say, i love them
    - and finally, thanksgiving food. mmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I'm thankful for a son who avoided so many pitfalls to become a decent, honest and hardworking man.
    Everything ELCruiser stated very much mirrors my own feelings.
    My oldest son has recently married and now has just started a job for which he began training and learning to do since the 10th grade.
    He so seemed to be headed off course so many times but towed the line and is now in the light at the end of that particular tunnel. I am Thankful.

With all that God has blessed me and my family with I can't even begin to write or say except that I am Thankful.

I'm even Thankful that I can participate in the 'sheep stampeed' known as Black Friday with my most wonderful wife. I may whine about it, but I am Thankful.

And to all my fourm-mates, Happy Holidays!

I am Thankful.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

+1 for the original post!

It is so cool to see so many of us that care so deeply about our families and freedoms expressing it here. My heart echoes the thoughts of others here, and I'll add that I'm thankful to have a Mother-In-Law who I actually love!!

(how many can say that?)
    A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I'm thankful for growing up in a family that sticks together, and my parents are still happily married. I'm thankful for my friends who support me, and encourage me to strive to be the best I can be. Last but not least, I am thankful to live in a state where basic rights are recognized.

Edit: Oh yes, before I forget, I am also very thankful for all the useful information on this forum, and all the good folks who are members of this forum.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    Let's not forget how this holiday came to be................

Whereas it is the duty of all Nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey his will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore his protection and favor -- and whereas both Houses of Congress have by their joint Committee requested me "to recommend to the People of the United States a day of public thanksgiving and prayer to be observed by acknowledging with grateful hearts the many signal favors of Almighty God especially by affording them an opportunity peaceably to establish a form of government for their safety and happiness."

Now therefore I do recommend and assign Thursday the 26th day of November next to be devoted by the People of these States to the service of that great and glorious Being, who is the beneficent Author of all the good that was, that is, or that will be -- That we may then all unite in rendering unto him our sincere and humble thanks -- for his kind care and protection of the People of this Country previous to their becoming a Nation -- for the signal and manifold mercies, and the favorable interpositions of his Providence which we experienced in the tranquility [sic], union, and plenty, which we have since enjoyed -- for the peaceable and rational manner, in which we have been enabled to establish constitutions of government for our safety and happiness, and particularly the national One now lately instituted -- for the civil and religious liberty with which we are blessed; and the means we have of acquiring and diffusing useful knowledge; and in general for all the great and various favors which he hath been pleased to confer upon us.

And also that we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations and beseech him to pardon our national and other transgressions -- to enable us all, whether in public or private stations, to perform our several and relative duties properly and punctually -- to render our national government a blessing to all the people, by constantly being a Government of wise, just, and constitutional laws, discreetly and faithfully executed and obeyed -- to protect and guide all Sovereigns and Nations (especially such as have shewn [sic] kindness onto us) and to bless them with good government, peace, and concord -- To promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue, and the encrease [sic] of science among them and us -- and generally to grant unto all Mankind such a degree of temporal prosperity as he alone knows to be best.

Given under my hand at the City of New York
    the third day of October in the year of our Lord 1789.
    - George Washington
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    The holidays are here, time for good friends, family, and food! This time of year makes me especially grateful for all the blessings in my life.

1. A loving God who many years ago, steered me gently into the rooms of AA, and gave me a new outlook on life. Yes, first and formost I am thankful for my sobriety, and a chance to help others afflicted with my malady.

2. My family, who through the ups and downs of this thing we call life, have always been there.

3. A host of friends I would do anything for.

4. The priviledge to live in the greatest country in the world, The United States of America.

5.My hunting partner amd best friend, Ruger the wonderdog!

And last but not least, the wonderful people on this forum, always willing to give advise free of charge, not much this good is free anymore. Thank You DC.com members!

Namaste'
    Rex
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

In N. GA we are extremely thankful for some good rain today!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links