Dog as weapon? - Page 2

Dog as weapon?

This is a discussion on Dog as weapon? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by aus71383 If the dog is the "weapon", are you going to shoot the owner? If the dog is attacking you, and you ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dog as weapon?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    If the dog is the "weapon", are you going to shoot the owner? If the dog is attacking you, and you defend yourself by shooting the dog - how was the dog a weapon? I'm sure the owner could be charged with something, but he's not the one attacking you. JMO

Austin
    You shoot to stop the threat... and its your job to decide where the threat is. The big difference between a dog and any other weapon in the dog is a being all by itself. A gun or knife is an inanimate object.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Cupcake View Post
    I gotta think that the liability is too great. In every state I've lived in, I've heard of dogs trained to attack that have gotten loose and seriously injured and/or killed someone. The owners faced much harsher punishment thn those people who had a "nice dog" that went bad, to include criminal charges. I don't know that it would even be considered less then lethal force, considering if someone sicced a couple dogs on me they are going down too (definate risk of great bodily harm, even if not always lethal). Great weapon, but I'm only letting mine chase squirrels. Carry pepperspray and/or a taser along with your gun.
    Sorry....an attack/protection tracking dog trainer here. Trained with private firms and police services K9 units. The Dog that is TRAINED to attack is like a firearm with the safety on. HE will NOT just go out an attack someone unless his trainer is down, or he is personally attacked. Even then the dog will just pin and hold...IF he is trained. The dogs that go out and kill are NOT trained to protect, just trained to KILL. A VERY VERY big difference. All my dogs (in the last 38 years) know the difference between visitors and perps. If I don't shake hands with someone on first meeting, or touch their arm, the dog goes into condition two. It takes a SPECIFIC verbal command, or me/wife being physically attacked before the dog goes into condition three. These puppies are SMART. Wouldn't train them if they weren't. Too much aggression after the session...thry're out. Not enough interest to pay attention and learn...they're out. Have had 14 dogs during that time, never less than multiples of three at a time, and trained lots more. Probably rejected two or three times what I've trained. Dogs don't kill...stupid people do !!!

Quote Originally Posted by broknindarkagain View Post
    I have kinda a weird question, but I'm sure someone knows the answer.

Obviously, a knife, gun, bat, ect is considered a deadly weapon. What about a dog? Can you be accused of using a deadly weapon against someone if your dog were trained to attack and did so on your command? Or would it be viewed as a "less lethal" solution?

I doubt this is in the right forum, but I couldn't think of where to put it. So if need be, one of you mods can move it.
    I can't recall the specifics, but I do clearly remember a case in the news where someone was charged with assault with a deadly weapon for having their dog attack someone.

-john

Quote Originally Posted by bob21bobby View Post
    Sorry....an attack/protection tracking dog trainer here. Trained with private firms and police services K9 units. The Dog that is TRAINED to attack is like a firearm with the safety on. HE will NOT just go out an attack someone unless his trainer is down, or he is personally attacked. Even then the dog will just pin and hold...IF he is trained. The dogs that go out and kill are NOT trained to protect, just trained to KILL. A VERY VERY big difference. All my dogs (in the last 38 years) know the difference between visitors and perps. If I don't shake hands with someone on first meeting, or touch their arm, the dog goes into condition two. It takes a SPECIFIC verbal command, or me/wife being physically attacked before the dog goes into condition three. These puppies are SMART. Wouldn't train them if they weren't. Too much aggression after the session...thry're out. Not enough interest to pay attention and learn...they're out. Have had 14 dogs during that time, never less than multiples of three at a time, and trained lots more. Probably rejected two or three times what I've trained. Dogs don't kill...stupid people do !!!
    If your a professional trainer I do believe that you could train a dog well. I'm talking about Joe anybody who teaches his dog to be "Protective" or attack on command. Every other Homey in my old hood had some critter or another trained to attack. Big difference in training: Your dogs have to be "turned on," while these dogs (every one of 'em that I've ever met) have to be constantly told to be off. It's still training, just by an idiot instead of a trainer. IMO, the average joe doesn't have the ability train his own dogs and end up with a weapon that is both completely safe and effective.

Anyway, back to the OP's question, I'm still of the opinion that using a dog as a less than lethal solution is a bad idea for average joe. I believe that the bg being attacked would be justified (legally speaking) in defending himself against a dog attack. He could pull a knife and start hacking away, and then where are you? You either watch your buddy get hacked up or you draw your piece and defend your property (I believe a dog would legally be held to be property, and as such, using deadly force to protect it is a crime in most states). Not to mention the lasting effects of dogbite, compared to OC or taser. Too little benefit for too great an investment and risk.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

I'm not sure what the story behind the OP's question, but while I feel my dogs contribute to my family's security, I strongly feel that you cannot delegate the responsibility to your dog(s). Basically -- Don't send a dog to do a man's (or woman's) job.

-john
    Last edited by bzdog; November 25th, 2007 at 05:09 PM.

I read in one of Masada Ayoob's books his take on dogs.
    You should never train your family dog in attack training. They only training you should give your family pet is obediance training. It is a dog's natural reaction to protect his family and usually will do so.
    If you have a large dog who maybe called upon to protect home and family...you should never give it names like "Killer" or "Demon" or "Burgler Biter". Use names like "Baby" or "Pups".
    Consider what breed you get too. German Shepards, Rotts, or Pit Bulls are hard to defend in court. Great Danes bring to mind the friendly cartoon dog Marmaduke, but are just as protective as any other large breed. St. Bernards wear a barrel and save people...at least that is what most think of, but I have seen the damage one can do.
    To sum it up:
    1. The only training your family dog needs is obediance. Let his natural instint to protect his family and home be his guide.
    2. Don't work against yourself and your dog by giving him a violent or scary name.
    3. Be aware of your choice of breed. Some come with negitive baggage.

Which would be better?
    Going into court with a dog that has a history of attack training, breed history of violent agression, and a name that scares children....OR....
    A big happy dog named "Jason Puppy Boy" who sits and stays on command and reminds everyone of a friendly cartoon dog.
    Keeping this in mind may be the difference between you paying huge amounts of money to the BG who came into YOUR home and not. The difference between your pet being judged a rogue animal and being put down or going home to the family to stand guard another day.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sponsored Links