Dog as weapon?

Dog as weapon?

This is a discussion on Dog as weapon? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I have kinda a weird question, but I'm sure someone knows the answer. Obviously, a knife, gun, bat, ect is considered a deadly weapon. What ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog as weapon?

Dog as weapon?

I have kinda a weird question, but I'm sure someone knows the answer.

Obviously, a knife, gun, bat, ect is considered a deadly weapon. What about a dog? Can you be accused of using a deadly weapon against someone if your dog were trained to attack and did so on your command? Or would it be viewed as a "less lethal" solution?

I doubt this is in the right forum, but I couldn't think of where to put it. So if need be, one of you mods can move it.
    "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Smith & Wesson M&P9c

I'm not a lawyer or anything, but i kinda think that if you trained your dog to attack on command, you would be held legally responsible in some way; of course i imagine that it would be hard to prove that you trained it that way. Dogs do make a great defensive tool, and a even better deterrent.

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I would think it would depend on the State. I think there are a couple women in California in prison because their pitbull was unrestrained when it attacked and killed another person. Don't think that dogs would necessarily be a nonlethal option
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

I gotta think that the liability is too great. In every state I've lived in, I've heard of dogs trained to attack that have gotten loose and seriously injured and/or killed someone. The owners faced much harsher punishment thn those people who had a "nice dog" that went bad, to include criminal charges. I don't know that it would even be considered less then lethal force, considering if someone sicced a couple dogs on me they are going down too (definate risk of great bodily harm, even if not always lethal). Great weapon, but I'm only letting mine chase squirrels. Carry pepperspray and/or a taser along with your gun.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

There are plenty of examples of dogs killing humans. In many places, the owner is held responsible for the care and control of the animal, yes, even to the point of contributing to crimes (assaults) committed by the animal. Particularly, I would think, in situations where the dog has been specifically trained to competently attack humans.

Would the semantics be arguable that it's a less-than-lethal weapon? I doubt that would hold water. If seriously considering doing this, speak with a knowledgeable attorney who can advise on the ramifications of having a trained dog that blows a gasket.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    Yes, with out a doubt, a dog is a weapon. No question about it; no debate. It has been proven time and time again. Why do you think the pit bull has become such a ghetto status symbol?
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member

Dogs/attacks/ new Texas law

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    There are plenty of examples of dogs killing humans. In many places, the owner is held responsible for the care and control of the animal,

Yes, Texas has a new law on this. If your dog harms someone, you are liable, criminally. It passed after a couple of particularly vicious dog attacks on elderly women in their own yards.

I do not know however if the deliberate use of a dog on, for example, a home intruder, would be something you can still be charged with. I guess it all depends.

Then too, a really well trained dog would likely only attack on command. I can't recall reading of an out-of-control police trained dog.

Best thing to do is consult an attorney for your city, county and state laws. Most of the time, however, if your dog attacks someone you are liable.

What if you adopt a police K-9 and know the commands?

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post
    What about it? There is a whole lot more to it than knowing the commands.
    Even the best trained dogs still have their own minds and thought process. They are not robots.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Depends on the state.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

If the dog is the "weapon", are you going to shoot the owner? If the dog is attacking you, and you defend yourself by shooting the dog - how was the dog a weapon? I'm sure the owner could be charged with something, but he's not the one attacking you. JMO

Austin

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    My BIG three have never been trained to attack but if you decide to break into my house God help you - they follow the Castle Doctrine.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    I'm sure the owner could be charged with something, but he's not the one attacking you.
    By extension of the owner's failure to control the animal, the owner is exactly that.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by blackfoot View Post

Better know how to 'fire' it, clean it, carry it (so to speak), and hope you don't have a ND (or an unannounced attack) against an innocent victim.

But that does bring up an interesting point. Let's say that as you go to your car and a BG pulls a knife as you are opening the door...then you signal your trained dog to 'explain' the finer points of SD...what could you be held liable for if it was truly a mugging?
    I guess I'm asking, that if the use of a gun would have been OK, why not a vicious dog attack?

I was just at my nephew's house below Tampa, FL for TurkeyDay. He's a young cop who just got his K-9 two weeks ago. The dog was in the house with us and was very alert, friendly, but serious. He listened and reacted to my nephew's instructions with 'exactness' and speed...very impressive.
    Having a dog like that would certainly be a deadly weapon.

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links