A comment made me curious

This is a discussion on A comment made me curious within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I started smoking 26 years ago, and quit about 3 years ago. I picked up dip as a ween off of the cigarettes, and am ...

View Poll Results: Are you a tobacco user?

Voters
104. You may not vote on this poll
  • I smoke ciggs

21 20.19%
  • I "chew" tobacco

6 5.77%
  • I used to 'use' tobacco, but kicked the habbit for good

33 31.73%
  • I have never

44 42.31%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A comment made me curious

I started smoking 26 years ago, and quit about 3 years ago. I picked up dip as a ween off of the cigarettes, and am now starting to ween off of that.
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I also chose kicked the habbit. Smoke a pack-a-day for two years. I got winded as i walking up my stairs to my apartment, and i told my roomate well man, i'm done smoking, if you could quit smoking infront of me that might help. He did his part as best he could and i did mine, and together I quit.
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

VIP Member
    Didn't smoke and rarely drank, and then very little, until I turned 60 and decided I was finally a grown up--

They say both will kill you; I don't have many years left to find out if that's true.

I will smoke a good cigar now and again, and enjoy some good Bourbon now and again; but neither with any frequency. Both together are very nice.

Neither mix well with gunsmoke. Cigars go well with Hoppes' #9

Now I'm curious as to the % of non-gun folk users. Me: I smoke like a salmon (second hand only).
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Tried to cigarettes in 8th grade. Hated it.
    Never tried again.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    You forgot the fifth option... VERY occasional cigar smoker.

When I lived in Florida with my brother, every weekend we would go out to breakfast in the morning (just him and me) and talk about explosives (he was in EOD school) and guns, then we'd go to a gun/knife show/store, buy something (even if it was just ammo), go shooting, go to the beach and go swimming or a movie. Sometimes we took friends, sometimes it was just us.

Then, we'd go home, clean guns, play videos, drink beer and smoke a cigar.

There's just something about the very occasional cigar that reminds me of some of the best times I've ever had with my brother.

It may be MONTHS between my little trips back down memory lane, but it doesn't matter to me.

Oh, and I will smoke if I'm playing poker. They just seem to go hand in hand in my head.. Play poker... smoke.

I haven't had a good game of poker in at least nine months.

VIP Member
    No tobacco use here....... but I do breathe in quite a bit of gunsmoke :).
    Last edited by ppkheat; November 24th, 2007 at 10:37 PM. Reason: changed text
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

I tried cigs at about the age of 12. Got dizzy, sick, and never tried them again. I "experimented" some with a variety of drugs in my teens/20's (Hey, it was the '60's), but when I saw what they did to some of my friends, I decided I was better off without that stuff - and the people that used it.

Ron

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    I have maybe two cigars a year. I can live without them, but they are kinda relaxing on a poker night
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    I don't smoke or chew and never have.

I do however like to smoke the occasional stogie. One of my only vices
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    Never smoked, chewed or dipped. Never even tried it.

In fact, I have never tried any tobacco or any illegal drug of any kind. I may be one of the few on the planet who can say that. I have been told that makes me a "Boy Scout" but, I was never a boy scout. Go figure.
    Same here.. I actually am a Boy Scout though.

My dad smoked for almost 40yrs, and I was never tempted to even try it. He's since quit, and is a healthier man for it.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Senior Member Array SilenceDoGood's Avatar
    I agree lima, cigars are great every now and then. I manage to smoke one w/ my neighbor when he is drunk, he is my parents age, but i'm in love w/ his daughter, luckily we both enjoy talking about guns (took me huntingo on thanksgiving), cigars, and jack n coke... and his daughter
    "A government is like fire, a handy servant, but a dangerous master." -- George Washington

I smoke a pipe, occasionally chew tobacco while hunting.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Quote Originally Posted by GBS View Post
    If you are looking for a correlation, try a poll that askes if the parents were smoking during the teen years. Most kids - for better or worse pick up habits that parents have during the late formative years.
    I'd love to see where you came up with that statistic. Like SIXTO and Bob the Great, I don't smoke because of my dad. Besides, aren't the formative years the really early ones?

Our next-door neighbor way back in the day would occasionally smoke a pipe. I love the smell of pipe smoke but not enough to want to spend good fun-money on it.

EW3
    Never understood the point of it, so I never got started, which I'm glad of.

A HS friend tried to get me to try chewing tobacco a few times...that ended the day I swallowed by accident...BARF!!!
    "Naked and Starving as They are We Cannot Enough Admire the Incomparable Patience and Fidelity of the Soldiery" George Washington, Valley Forge, 1777.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links