Jerk with a I-Phone gets owned by Airline Pilot. - Page 2

Jerk with a I-Phone gets owned by Airline Pilot.

This is a discussion on Jerk with a I-Phone gets owned by Airline Pilot. within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Herknav Granted, it may get sporty from time to time, but the comments seem a little dramatic to me. But thats what ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jerk with a I-Phone gets owned by Airline Pilot.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Herknav View Post
    Granted, it may get sporty from time to time, but the comments seem a little dramatic to me.
    But thats what made it funny. It was meant to be funny... nothing more.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Not that simple

It's not quite as simple as 'What is the weather right now'?

The storm could be an hour out, and be there by the time your aircraft arrives.

Also, any risk at all is unacceptable.

It's a lot more complicated. Flying in bad weather can use more fuel. If you run out, you don't just grab your gas can and hike to the nearest Exxon.

Then there is the knock on effect of bad weather, with aircraft not where they are supposed to be, taking up gates that are supposed to be free.

There is far more to it than what Microsoft Flight Sim might let you believe. Thats why they get paid what they do. Otherwise we'd have 14 year olds flying planes for 6 bucks an hour.

I'm no pilot and even i know that.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    If you have never controlled an aircraft landing in a gusting 30 knot crosswinds, faced rain that pummelled the aircraft, encountered turbulence that ...
    Yup. It's not so easy as software, portable radios and television would have some believe.

Worst situation I've been in, on a plane, was with 60mph gusty crosswinds landing at San Francisco Int'l Airport. How that pilot got the plane on the ground, I'll never know. The wind was howling in off the left quarter of the nose. The pilot had to aim the plane about 35* off-line. As the plane neared the strip, he dipped the right wing (seemingly nearly) to the ground and got the wheels on the ground as smoothly as he could. Smooth, so far as that goes. Landed like a rock, but in those conditions it was smooth. How he didn't cartwheel that one, I'll never know. One amazing bit of piloting, whatever else can be said. Twenty miles away, there was zero wind, and I'm sure the distinction would have been lost on a "smart" phone and user.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    But thats what made it funny. It was meant to be funny... nothing more.
    The original comment was funny. I wish I could have said that to the Colonel. I was referring to the comments made by the pilots on the original blog.

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383
    If you have never controlled an aircraft landing in a gusting 30 knot crosswinds, faced rain that pummelled the aircraft, encountered turbulence that knocks the fillings out of your teeth, or seen St. Elmo's skittering across your windscreen, landing in snow covered runways, landing with visibility 1800 feet while moving at 200 feet per second, losing one of two engines right after takeoff, or having to divert to an unknown airport because wanna-be pilots...because they learned how flying Microsoft...then, like brain surgeons...you can not possibly understand.
    I've done the crosswinds, the rain, the turbulence, 2 years in Alaska for snow-covered runways, and landed at a strip in the middle of the jungle that no US aircraft had used in 8 years. (No, the controllers, didn't speak English.) I've only seen St. Elmo's fire on the wings, but I've been hit by in-cloud lightning. Our regs won't allow us to go down to 1800' vis. I had four engines and lost one on many occasions. We did come darn close to having to shut down two on the way out of Afghanistan one time. You mention nothing of tactical apporaches, controllers who speak almost no English, night vision goggles, celestial navigation, formation flying, airdrop, dirt strips, landing at one-way Alaskan radar sites or doing any combination of the above while nurturing a new aircraft commander. Does it take skill? Absolutely. Does it take time to learn? Yes. Is it something so complex that it can't be explained to the average Joe? No. Does it make you God-like and/or better than anyone else? No.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragman
    Then there is the knock on effect of bad weather, with aircraft not where they are supposed to be, taking up gates that are supposed to be free.
    That's dispatch's problem. The pilot just goes to what gate he is told.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    I've done the crosswinds, the rain, the turbulence, 2 years in Alaska for snow-covered runways, and landed at a strip in the middle of the jungle that no US aircraft had used in 8 years. (No, the controllers, didn't speak English.) I've only seen St. Elmo's fire on the wings, but I've been hit by in-cloud lightning. Our regs won't allow us to go down to 1800' vis. I had four engines and lost one on many occasions. We did come darn close to having to shut down two on the way out of Afghanistan one time. You mention nothing of tactical apporaches, controllers who speak almost no English, night vision goggles, celestial navigation, formation flying, airdrop, dirt strips, landing at one-way Alaskan radar sites or doing any combination of the above while nurturing a new aircraft commander. Does it take skill? Absolutely. Does it take time to learn? Yes. Is it something so complex that it can't be explained to the average Joe? No. Does it make you God-like and/or better than anyone else? No. That's dispatch's problem. The pilot just goes to what gate he is told.
    Nothing said as being God-like or better than anyone else...as for dispatch...it is ultimately always the Captains responsibility (albeit, dispatch can sure help)...which leaves me to the...are you a Herk Nav or pilot?

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by bandit383 View Post
    Nothing said as being God-like or better than anyone else...as for dispatch...it is ultimately always the Captains responsibility (albeit, dispatch can sure help)...which leaves me to the...are you a Herk Nav or pilot?

Rick
    I didn't say you said it. Some of the comments on the other blog seemed to imply that flying airplanes was an art beyond the comprehension of mere mortals. I'm not dinging pilots or aircrew, I'm just saying we don't have the hardest job in the world.

To answer your question, I'm a Nav with a private license. I've helped raise my share of new Aircraft Commanders in the Herk. I was also taught by some very good, experienced ACs. What's your background?

I'll have to take you at your word on Captain picking which gate he taxis to. Us military pukes just go where Command Post tells us to. Granted, it's the AC's butt if they run into something getting there (although I've seen them take out a co-pilot and a nav for a taxi accident).

BTW--You have a habit of putting ellipses in the middle of your thoughts without really finishing said thought.

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    What's your background?

BTW--You have a habit of putting ellipses in the middle of your thoughts without really finishing said thought.
    Oh...35 years and 12,000+ (I stopped counting)...from 2K to 200KGW...from 90 kts to 2.5M...from 200 feet at night to 42K feet.

Noted...the hypoxia.

Rick

Rick,

Impressive resume'.

I've been thinking about why I feel this way about what we do, and I think it's because I absolutely love the flying gig. Therefore, it doesn't seem like work (most of the time).

To me, "hard work" would be a job like designing something like the Patriot missile or trying to find a cure for a disease. Another hard job would be working in a hospice. You'd meet some really cool people, but you'd know in the back of your mind that they'd all die soon no matter how well you did your job.

Blue skies & tailwinds,
    Herk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links