I am not one to be offended...buttt...

This is a discussion on I am not one to be offended...buttt... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; http://news.bostonherald.com/news/op...icleid=1046820 Caution: Hunters at work Human season arrives with a bang Howie Carr By Howie Carr Sunday, November 25, 2007 - Updated 1d 3h ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am not one to be offended...buttt...

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/op...icleid=1046820

Caution: Hunters at work
    Human season arrives with a bang
    Howie Carr By Howie Carr
    Sunday, November 25, 2007 - Updated 1d 3h ago
    + Recent Articles
    Boston Herald Columnist
    EmailE-mail PrintablePrintable Comments(15) Comments LargerSmallerText size ShareShare Rate(3) Rate

Shotgun deer-hunting season begins in Massachusetts tomorrow, but it just ain’t what it used to be. The native hunter population has scattered south and north. Gun and rod clubs rank high on the moonbat hit parade. And the spread of dental insurance has reduced the number of toothless yahoos stumbling drunkenly through the woods around here every first Monday after Thanksgiving.

Still, tomorrow will not be a good day to be a cow in Massachusetts - or a stop sign. You know, you’re out drivin’ around in your pickup truck, jes’ itchin’ to pull the trigger on something - anything! - and you ain’t seen a deer in a month o’ Sundays, and you and Billy Bob jes’ keep a-poundin’ them Budweisers down, and what the Sam Hill is a body supposed to do? You gots to shoot something, even if it’s mooing.

And now they’re saying King Tut may have been killed in a hunting accident. Could they still test his blood-alcohol level after all these centuries? The word is he may have fallen from a chariot. Hunters still fall to their deaths, but usually it’s from a tree stand, the second-most-common cause of death among hunters, after being shot by a close relative.

Let’s go straight to this year’s stack of hunting accident stories.

Texas: A 35-year-old Waco man was found dead in a tree stand after dropping his deer rifle, causing the gun to fire into his chest. In addition to the nimrod’s corpse, the local paper reported that “also in the stand were several empty beer cans, including a half-empty can sitting in an insulated drink holder.”

Florida: A 31-year-old hunter was killed when he tossed a loaded 9mm handgun to a friend in the woods. The second hunter caught the gun by the trigger and it fired, sending a bullet first through the shooter’s other hand and then through his friend’s chest. Is it possible alcohol may have been involved in this misadventure?

Arkansas: A 44-year-old hunter was found dead, dangling from his tree stand. The sheriff speculated that the hunter “lost his balance.” I wonder why. The deerslayer then fell backwards with his feet stuck in the stand and “died from hanging upside down for a long period of time.” Do you suppose Bambi came along for a good laugh while the blood was rushing to his head?

How about some kinsmen killing kinsmen in the woods? These stories are filled with words like “mistook,” “distraught,” “ricocheted” and “stray bullet.”

Someday someone will research the correlation between the start of hunting season in the redneck districts and an increase in dismissal of suits involving disputed wills. It’s amazing how often two close relatives go into the woods and only one returns.

Wisconsin: A grandfather mistook his 18-year-old grandson for a deer and blasted him to kingdom come in Saxeville a week ago today.

Utah: A 9-year-old boy hunting geese with his 51-year-old uncle didn’t bag any birds, but he did manage to kill Uncle Chad when his shotgun “accidentally discharged.” This was the second fatality of the season in Utah. A 44-year-old nimrod was killed by a friend who was climbing over a fence with a rifle slung over his back. It too “accidentally” discharged.

Michigan: A 24-year-old man drilled his father in Dad’s own back yard. The lad was “looking for an animal he’d shot earlier” when his father ventured outside - not wearing anything orange. Pops never had a chance.

Connecticut: A 51-year-old Berlin deer hunter was shotgunned by his stepson.

Michigan: A man was flushing deer from hedges in order to give his son a clean shot. The son got one: He shot Dad in the hip.

New York: A 76-year-old man hunting with six relatives died after being shot in the hip. The undersheriff “could not confirm” whether the geezer was gunned down by a blood relative. No word on whether anyone in the shooting party was contesting a will.

Nebraska: A drug dealer was charged with manslaughter after shooting a hunter in front of his 15-year-old son. The drug dealer’s brother said his sibling was “trying to shoot a coyote.”

All I can say is, if you feel the call of nature tomorrow while driving to work, don’t pull over and walk into the woods - unless you’re wearing an orange blazer to your job. Otherwise, it could be the last pit stop you ever make. They’re out there!

I read this as the only people who still go hunting are drunkin' red necks...
    Yes, these stories are sad b/c of the idiocy of some people...but this is not an accurate representation of most hunters.
    What is this guys problem?

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Gosh !!! I do love the impartial journalism shown here , and i wonder how the person who wrote it feels about gun control LOL
    Edited to add , uppon following the link i see there is " comments " on this one . This could get fun to keep up on .

Re Edited to add : Upon reflection any state that has a " shotgun " season on any big game needs to be taken over by circus midgets and then run from the " top down " .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

I spent the last three months working on a national forest in East Texas, and finished my job the day hunting season opened. (11/02) I work in the woods and timed my exit to avoid conflicts with hunters. On the way out of town I stopped at a convenience store to fill up, and got in line behind a hunter to pay. He had two 12-packs of beer. He asked me "Do you think this is enough to get me my deer?", then had a good laugh.

I don't think this kind of thing is good for the reputation of hunters, but believe me, it's out there. Any time someone does something stupid there will be a journalist out there willing to jump on it to further their agenda.

Assistant Administrator
    Biased is not in it - geez.

Sad to say tho there are accidents just waiting to happen with some folks - they have a cavalier attitude towards guns and safety - ''it'll never happen to me'' syndrome often.

I find it hard -here in PA certainly - to rationalize a bad shoot where a guy with blaze orange gets ''mistaken'' <cough> for a legitimate target!! Plus of course folks forget rule #4 as well.

There is regretably within the hunting fraternity a small but solid band of renegade hunters - who give the huge majority a bad name - and that is unjustifiable but the media loves such things.

This is the first year I am not out on first day of Buck ... I just can't sit/stand long enough to get and keep a position to wait. I did tho in the past always avoid major state game lands on the basis that I did not want to be in the path of errant bullets!!! Some folks are too careless.

Overall tho hunters are safe and responsible - always those bad apples in every corner of society that spoil the reputation of others..
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Chooie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Gosh !!! I do love the impartial journalism shown here , and i wonder how the person who wrote it feels about gun control LOL
    Edited to add , uppon following the link i see there is " comments " on this one . This could get fun to keep up on .

Re Edited to add : Upon reflection any state that has a " shotgun " season on any big game needs to be taken over by circus midgets and then run from the " top down " .
    You gotta give MA hunters some kind of break - the population density is far too high to allow rifle hunting. I don't believe there is a separate muzzleloader season, either. IIRC it goes bow, shotgun, nada.

Reminds me of years ago up home in Colorado where I saw a couple hunters leaving a country store with 4 cases of beer and one loaf of bread. ahhh, yep, huntin' supplies.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

One year I was tracking a Deer and came out in a clearing on top of a ridge, there was a hunter sitting on a log with a fith of Whiskey next to him, looking down into the canyon, I softly back pedeled and took myself to another area.

It is beyond me to understand why anybody will take Booze with them when they are hunting.

When I hunt I try and find areas far and away from other hunters, that gets harder to do each year. Many areas are closed, plus now one has to worry about Anti-hunter crowd being out there to disrupt hunting in the places left to hunt. If someone gets shot the Media is just around the corner to jump all over it.

alot of anti-redneck propaganda in that article

everyone knows beer and guns do not mix, hell you could spill your beer in the chamber :P
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

So that's how so many hunters stay in the woods without feeling the cold. They bring beer. I guess I should pick up some more tips from this stupid article.

On a brighter note, I got me a nice sized doe early yesterday on the last day of rifle season this year. Spent more time dragging her out of the woods than hunting. That's always a good day!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Senior Moderator
    I saw 13 does in the stand behind my house and two bucks, one shootable 8 point and a forked horn and never pulled the trigger on my 444.

On the other hand... some yuppie reporter from the Boston Herald stumbling through the woods like a blind fool might take more self control than I could muster if he walked aross my stand...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I saw 13 does in the stand behind my house and two bucks, one shootable 8 point and a forked horn and never pulled the trigger on my 444.

On the other hand... some yuppie reporter from the Boston Herald stumbling through the woods like a blind fool might take more self control than I could muster if he walked aross my stand...
    You can't use a 444 in Massachusetts. That would be way too dangerous!
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Men folk in my family have been hunting for decades and never a accidental shooting. Of course they ALWAYS waitted to "crack open" a cold one until AFTER the day's hunting was over and the weapons put away. Anyone who takes anything negitive about hunting away from this guy's rant (though it seems to be his goal) is just ignoring the real problem....Drinking and hunting is like drinking and driving...THEY DON'T MIX.
    A woman must not depend on protection by men. A woman must learn to protect herself.
    Susan B. Anthony
    A armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one has to back it up with his life.
    Robert Heinlein

Just a word of caution

WV has had 5 hunting related deaths this season. Three of these men died of heart attacks. It's not something you usually think of as a cause of death for hunting. Please consider carefully if you are still physically fit enough to go hunting. WV has a LOT of overweight people (me included) and if you are also getting up there in years it can be dangerous.

Just think about it, it's really cold in the morning, your going up and down rough terrain, if you don't get much exercise your heart is already beating really fast. Then the excitement of finally seeing a deer after several hours, BANG you shoot, the deer goes down. Then your arm starts to tingle and you're having chest pains and your truck is a 30 minute hike away.

I'm not trying to bash hunters in any way. Most of my family hunts. Just remember at the end of the day it's not the size of the deer that matters but the fact that you got home to your family safely. Know you limitations and be safe.
    There’s an old and true, military motto, “Si vis pacem, para bellum” - “If you want peace, prepare for war.”

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceKeepr View Post
    alot of anti-redneck propaganda in that article
    Disagreed.

It's most accurately anti idiot/moron/stupid people doing stupid ill advised things propoganda.

As to so called rednecks and all, rednecks and woodsmen and hunters of all types everywhere have been tracking, hunting, and trapping to a high degree going back to the literal first steps of man.
    Whether one be or identify with rednecks, or whatever neck, in general being associated with "toothless yahoos stumbling drunkenly through the woods" is not who or what most hunters, trackers, and trappers are of nor about.

The only thing insulting about this article is how it insults the intelligence of the reader, specifically those readers who don't have a clue toward the subject. And how this alledged newspaper takes advantage of that fact and the reader in printing this story implying that these unfortunate few are representative of all. An untruth.

The only thing offensive here is how this newspaper allowed this tripe to be printed and purported as 'news'.
    If they'll tell this story as badly as they have one must wonder to what lows they might go toward telling other tales, tall or short.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links