Let it snow... - Page 4

Let it snow...

This is a discussion on Let it snow... within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; We have a couple feet up by us now. I say the sidewalk is about waist high, maybe a little more....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Let it snow...

We have a couple feet up by us now. I say the sidewalk is about waist high, maybe a little more.

yep. sounds about right.
    i would take a picture. but all it would be is white.

I have a feeling that we are going to get some snow this year here in the Memphis TN area.

Nothing more than a feeling but the last time I had this feeling we had snow.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

I love snow.

It's snowing here right now, actually. I'm in Southern Maine, it doesn't get too bad here. Go up to Northern Maine however (Yes, capitalized, it's a different state) and you find places where it just doesn't go away. Winter is October-May. I lived on the tip of the state for a school year, and at a certain point (usually December) they stop scraping the roads clean, it's not efficient. They just leave 6in. of snow/ice pack on the road.

It's also a one-road town, with very narrowly-spaced buildings. The clear the roads the only way possible: A tractor with a snowblower with an 8ft. auger. Ever seen one of those? Coolest damn thing to see going by your second-story apartment.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

just to get a little feel of what its like here:
    we dont use salt on the roads or every attempt to scrap them down to the road.
    salt doesnt melt ice- its too cold here. instead they take off most of the powder top layer and throw down dirt on top for traction.
    our plows: they are not pickup trucks with a plow in front, they are the big CAT bulldozers with about 4 or 5 plows attached to them.
    we also have a bunch of plow/snow blower combos they plow as much snow as they can into a pile (in the middle of the road) and then drive over it, suck it up, and blow it into a dump truck which goes and dumps it either into lake superior or some random place somewhere.
    you cant drive through downtown sometimes in the evening or night- because there are 3 of these giant plow machines and 5 dumptrucks blocking your way.
    (downtown is only one street)
    many of our school buildings are connected by bridge tunnels
    if you do have to go outside to go to another building or go to your car, you will not only put on your hats and gloves and boots and coat and snowpants, but also ski goggles.
    dont expect your cell phone, camera, or laptop batteries to last more than 30 minutes in the cold.
    anyone without 4 wheel or at least all wheel drive gets laughed at. especially when they cant make it up ANY of the hills (we have a lot of very steep roads here- enough that they are all 3 way stops so that if you are trying to make it up the hill (even when its dry) you dont have to stop. in the winter its assumed that when going down the hill you cant stop. and many of the roads are just blocked off in the winter and used for sledding.
    out of town, some places dont haul off (all)the snow, they just pile it up on the sides of the road. dont expect to be able to see any houses. sometimes not even trees.

ok. im done now. i really should get back to studying

Our village plows with a construction grader. We have three of them.

Here's a couple I snapped with my camera phone.

Went out last Friday morning on a Legion Riders / Patriot Guard send-off mission for a local guy heading for Iraq. Snow started sooner than expected.
    You guys do a great job but I think I would have broken out the four wheeler for that ride. I hate salt on the frame!! I was in a local AMA Polar Bear club back in NJ. Every Sunday we went out but not in the ice and snow !! Thank God for Gerbings...
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

It has not snowed here since the blizzard of 1993.

Administrator
    Its doing the icy rain/sleet garbage right now here... I want snow!
    "Just blame Sixto"

Well, we got our first snow of the winter today, just a measly 2 to 3 inches.
    should rain tomorrow and melt it all, causing some of the rivers to crest.

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    and many of the roads are just blocked off in the winter and used for sledding.
    I like your town!
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Add another foot to what I showed in the pics above. It's been snowing for 9 days straight. The plows just went through and my driveway apron has snow pilied about chest high.

We also have a roped off section of the parking lot at the grade/high school for ATVs and snowmobiles only. 30% of the kids come to school smelling like 2-stroke exhaust.

Quote Originally Posted by sisco View Post
    Went out last Friday morning on a Legion Riders / Patriot Guard send-off mission for a local guy heading for Iraq. Snow started sooner than expected.

I hate snow.

Sisco,

Where did your neighbor get that GMC mechanics truck? It looks like the same set up that I sell. It looks to have a Caseco body but I cannot tell what brand of crane is on the back. Who does that guy work for, they may be one of my customers.
    Last edited by 7mm Gumbo; December 2nd, 2007 at 08:38 AM. Reason: great bike

Great bike, love the Flag.

Uggh! I want snow.. All I got was a dusting a few weeks ago. Now I'm just getting that sleet/ice/mix garbage that just screws up the roads.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links