Gun rights rural v. urban

This is a discussion on Gun rights rural v. urban within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Nebraska lets cities with populations over 300,000 ban CCWs. Giuliani thinks NYC style gun laws shouldn't apply to the rest of America. Obama's wife is ...

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Nebraska lets cities with populations over 300,000 ban CCWs.

Giuliani thinks NYC style gun laws shouldn't apply to the rest of America.

Obama's wife is OK with rural gun ownership.

Why do some people argue that gun rights are only for rural dwellers? What is the mental justification?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

VIP Member
    This is aimed at appeasing the 'sporting gun users'.....This is the way they can get the hunters to vote for them by saying they aren't trying to take away your hunting arms.

In their world, if the Second Amendment has to addressed in any other form than total prohibition...they say it is for hunters. (Remember John Kerry going hunting in Nebraska?)

It boils down to getting votes!
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Why should it matter what Obama's wife thinks? She's not the one trying for the candidacy.

Assistant Administrator
    It's crazy that anyone should even try and differentiate between regional aspects. Geez - does the 2nd Amendment state anything about that? No!

"Shall not be infringed (unless a person lives in a city)" :rolleyes" .......... no wonder the 2A seems to broken wide open these days - it's been so adulterated by those who wish to ignore it and the BOR in general.

Stealth legislation attempts and opinion - oh and 'vote catching'.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Major city administration officials are terrified of their diverse inner city populations.

It's one thing for these politically correct hypocrites to overtly praise the merits of multicultural diversity; it's entirely another matter for them to trust their teaming masses to even legally possess, let alone carry firearms... But they sure do like their votes.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

The sad reality is that the Constitution ceased being the law of the land a long time ago.

Now its just a neat old document locked away for safekeeping like a museum piece.

The phrase "its unconstitutional" is code for "anything that is desired by the majority of citizens that the courts don't like".

Until we start electing pro-constitution politicians and getting pro-constitution judges appointed, things won't change.

So as it stands, the politicians do have the power to jurisdictionalize the guns laws anyway they want.
    fortiter in re, suaviter in modo (resolutely in action, gently in manner).

I'd want to be armed in a big city

Today, I would not live in any large city where I could not carry concealed. I lived in and around NYC, lived in Newark NJ (1960-1966), Tampa FL and Phoenix AZ. I NEVER worried about my personal safety in any of those places, way back when.

Sadly, most big city dwellers are anti-gun: hand-, long- or shot-. It is either the water or the BS fed them by the print and electronic media. Also, the public school systems with their "PC" and "zero tolerance" policies have literally brain washed our children for too many years. The pols encourage this with their namby-pamby attitudes. Shame on Nebraska!
    Never Again!
    Speak softly and carry a large caliber weapon.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

The larger cities/ metropolitan areas are predominately liberal and democrats. Rural (or the rest of America) is prdominately conservative/ Republican. Appease the masses of conservatives and they feel a majority of people will live with it. That is until the lawmakers slowly, bit by bit erode the rights of the people.
    IMO, some lawmakers continue to appease the liberal unimformed welfare recipients with more promises of welfare. As long as the unimformed and dependent remain content with being taken care of by the government and the welfare programs/and more benefits they will be happy to vote for those promising them. All the while not even caring about the rights they are losing.
    Just my 3 cents.

"The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

I hate big cities today, in fact all cities. We have violent crime too up here, just less of it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post

Giuliani thinks NYC style gun laws shouldn't apply to the rest of America.

Obama's wife is OK with rural gun ownership.

Why do some people argue that gun rights are only for rural dwellers? What is the mental justification?

If you can re-frame the issue of firearms from "defense of self and the last bastion of liberty against a tyrannical government" into "recreation and hunting, for which nobody needs an AK-47..." you can appeal to a lot of people and confuse many others.

Politics is all about avoiding ******* people off long enough to confuse them into voting for you.

Thus, obfuscating the issue with attempts to cast it in a different light.

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by paramedic70002 View Post
    Translation: Omaha.

Omaha has pretty much ALWAYS done whatever it damned well pleases....

I grew up in Colorado Springs and now live in the country in SW Oklahoma. Never would have believed that 30 years ago but it's nice to be able to step out my front door and shoot. I in fact have a steel dueling tree 18 yards from my front door and a rifle back stop 100 yards. My bench is right out my front door. The only hassle is my wife likes horses and living on 20 acres here means I have to share it with 9 hay burners. Oklahoma does not let the cities preempt state law with it comes to CCW.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonesnofoa View Post
    Why should it matter what Obama's wife thinks? She's not the one trying for the candidacy.

HAHA...are you married???

Member Array Gun Loving Liveral's Avatar
    It is very curious but I have seen that location and profession sometimes have a much greater influence regarding firearms opinion than political beliefs. For example, my wife and I visited friends in Midland, Tx who are far more conservative and Republican than me (we had a friendly but lively discussion about the town's favorite son, the President who they staunchly defended even when I explained he is the worst ever in history). However, they are both schoolteachers and live in town. So they were the ones who asked the liberal Democrat to leave his CCW in his truck! I complied as they are great friends. Their children are grown, so it is not a safety issue.
    I can trace my differences with my liberal brethren regards to guns to the fact I was a farmboy. I was taught to respect guns for the powerful tools they are, to be used in shooting dangerous animals, and that like other tools around the farm (tractor, mower, tiller, cutting torch, axe, etc.) they would hurt somebody quick if ever used carelessly.
    I actually have mixed political views from the middle of the road but lean to the liberal side and never ashamed of it. I just found it amusing I was agueing AGAINST gun control to a couple of Pres. Bush sbackers!
    In Oklahoma, even we liberals like guns!

Links