Paycheck issues

Paycheck issues

This is a discussion on Paycheck issues within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm hoping someone here can help me with an issue I'm having with my one job. Normally we recieve a paper paycheck weekly. Well recently ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paycheck issues

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Paycheck issues

I'm hoping someone here can help me with an issue I'm having with my one job. Normally we recieve a paper paycheck weekly. Well recently they decided to switch to direct deposit. Meaning no more paper checks. On the form they gave me for the direct deposit and I quote "I hereby autorize the Public Opinion to add, transfer or deduct any amount owed into or from this account". I don't agree to the terms. I'm contracted with them to deliver their papers and they charge for various things like missed papers, supplies etc... I don't like the idea that they can take money out of my bank account at their discretion. I told the lady thats in charge of payroll that I wont sign it because of that and she told me then I won't be getting paid ... something sounds fishy here. Is there any legal recourse I can take if I do not agree to the terms? I know they can't not pay me, and they'll charge for not delivering my routes if I refuse to not show up.

Contact INfo

Contact your state's Department of Labor/wages and ask them. They can better answer that question and provide information on what legal recourse you might have as other options.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    While I agree with your opinion, its actually pretty standard language. The main reason for the language is for companies to recover incorrectly paid wages. ie - payrolls screws up and sends employee A's commission/salary to employee B. Believe it or not, I have seen it happen. One of my fellow salesguy's $50,000 commission was direct deposited into one of the hourly guy's accounts. Geez, that turned out to be a freakin mess.
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Administrator
    Dont they have to offer a paper check? I hate direct deposit/withdraw anything. No one should have their hands in my account except me.
    "Just blame Sixto"

You can do what I did and open a free account through ING or another bank for just direct deposits. That way it isn't mixed in with my "normal" checking account. The funds are deposited into my ING account, once they post I transfer them to my normal account. Takes a couple of days, but I don't mind it for an added layer of security.
    "If I was an extremist, our founding fathers would all be extremists," he said. "Without them, we wouldn't have our independence. We'd be a disarmed British system of feudal subjectivity."

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Dont they have to offer a paper check? I hate direct deposit anything. No one should have their hands in my account except me.
    I'm with you there. It's my account to access, no one elses. I had a rather testy exchange with a self storage company over that one myself. I insisted on a bill as their employees can rarely get their accounting right. They want to charge me extra for NOT giving them access to withdraw directly. No freakin' way!!!

I'd check with your Dept. of Labor to find out what the rules really are.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    While I agree with your opinion, its actually pretty standard language. The main reason for the language is for companies to recover incorrectly paid wages. ie - payrolls screws up and sends employee A's commission/salary to employee B.
    It is standard language and a common practice.

Quote Originally Posted by dunndw View Post
    You can do what I did and open a free account through ING or another bank for just direct deposits. That way it isn't mixed in with my "normal" checking account. The funds are deposited into my ING account, once they post I transfer them to my normal account. Takes a couple of days, but I don't mind it for an added layer of security.
    This is a pretty great idea! You could actually probably just open an account at one of their "qualifying" banks (if they limit your choice) and use it only for that.

All in all, its not a big deal, and you're thinking about financial security and privacy practices, but I'd rather get a paycheck than not.....

All banks do basically the same thing. If you owe them, they will take it out of your account.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Supertac45 View Post
    All banks do basically the same thing. If you owe them, they will take it out of your account.
    Yeah, but it is his employer that wants the ability to take money out of his account at their discretion!

If this practice is allowed in the OP's state, then I would do as the other posters have stated, to open an account just for their electronic deposits, and arrange to have the monies in that account transferred as soon as deposited (automatically, if possible).

I do the same thing with multiple accounts. One for transfers in and one that is my household account that I can transfer too. You could also consider using PayPal if you don't want to have the accounts at the same bank.

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AutoFan View Post
    If this practice is allowed in the OP's state, then I would do as the other posters have stated, to open an account just for their electronic deposits, and arrange to have the monies in that account transferred as soon as deposited (automatically, if possible).
    Thats the thing, it isn't allowed, but if I am forced to sign it in fear of not getting paid then they can do it. Thats what I don't like

It's cool, pretty standard stuff. I've had direct deposit off and on for over 20 years (I think) and never had any problems or unscrupulous activity from my employers. I was kinda' skeptical at the onset, but I prefer it over paper now due to the convenience.
    "Beware of the man who only owns one gun. He probably knows how to use it."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pro2A View Post
    Thats the thing, it isn't allowed, but if I am forced to sign it in fear of not getting paid then they can do it. Thats what I don't like
    If I were a wagering man I would bet that you are being fed a line. Because I would expect that most businesses have at least one employee who does not have a bank account. I find it difficult to believe that a business would be allowed to force their employees to have bank accounts. If the state department of labor is not a help check with the US department of labor. Even the US government doesn't require all its employees or Social Security recipients to have a bank account or do direct deposit. If the IRS can't require it, I doubt that anybody else can either.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

The air force required that we all have direct deposit. I understand your concern, but it is as they say "standard language." If it's not a mom and pop company, then I wouldn't worry about it. The only reason it's worded like that is in case they fudge and deposit too much into your account, then they can take it back. Don't spend what you didn't earn and you'll be fine. Like the others suggested, if you wan't, just use the account for direct deposit, every payday transfer all of your rightfully earned funds to an account they can't touch. Easier than going to the bank anyway.
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Sonic Misfit View Post
    I do the same thing with multiple accounts. One for transfers in and one that is my household account that I can transfer too. You could also consider using PayPal if you don't want to have the accounts at the same bank.

PayPal is not too popular in the CCW community. A very 'Anti' company from what I've heard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links