Crows protected

This is a discussion on Crows protected within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ok, way off topic here, but I'm confused: http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14724692/detail.html He said the crows are protected by a federal act and can't be killed or harmed. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crows protected

Crows protected

Ok, way off topic here, but I'm confused:

http://www.wbaltv.com/news/14724692/detail.html

He said the crows are protected by a federal act and can't be killed or harmed.
    Since when? Anybody have a reference on that crow statement? I didn't know crows were federally protected. Would be nice to know if I've been committing a fed offense for the last oh...20 some odd years.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Yes per treaty with Mexico (crow national bird) Crows now have a hunting season in all states.

Some states crow season begins on Jan 1 and ends Dec 31 but it is still protected
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

All native American birds are protected by federal statute unless otherwise allowed (i.e. game birds subject to other statutes). "Native American" birds would not include English Sparrows or Starlings, which were both imported species originally. I'll find the specific statutes and report back.

Ahhhh..........Here it is:

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/in...a/mbtandx.html

The link above specifically protects Crows, subject to some other provisions.

And here are some more resources:

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/in.../mbtintro.html

And here (although many links are broken, it has a nice historical synopsis):

http://www.fws.gov/migratorybirds/in.../treatlaw.html

As you can tell, the laws are complex, but straightforward. Birds native to the USA and North and South America are generally "No-No's" unless "game birds"

Senior Moderator
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migrato...ty_Act_of_1918

I believe this is the act under which they are protected
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Hunting season only.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Crop damage is probably the loophole to aim for. I do not know what is necessary to open up that barn door though.
    ---
    quick check - no season in Texas, but there is a list of crimes the birds can commit which allow for the use of lethal force.

Administrator
    Really? Since when? We used to hunt crows almost daily... its lots of fun.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Did you know them pesky critters can live 60 years?
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Senior Moderator
    Yes per treaty with Mexico (crow national bird) Crows now have a hunting season in all states.
    What kind of BS is that? Are you saying that we made a treaty with Mexico over a bird?

We used to kill them non stop, any and every day of the week. Now we are limited to Wed to Saturday. It is exellent wing shooting practice in the off season and when you done it enough, the ducks dont stand a chance.

We have contests here, I thought I was good to with 273 kills in one morning, but got beat by a team that had 314.

The best way to lure them in to get a wounded one and tie him to a peg with about 8 foot piece of twine. It'll squall a lot and move around alot. That brings them in everytime.

The crows are gettingt thick again and need to be thinned out. I was on my deer stand the other day and had about 80 or so just tearing it up...it was driving me crazy. I live in a huge willow oak flat surrounded by pasture,and the crows love to eat the acorns. When deer season is over, I will embark on a crow eradication program.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Off topic, as not crows - but round my area we have a glut of Canada Geese - and they seriously need thinning out. It's time the game commission got something going.

I am all for some protection, up to a point but some is way excessive considering numbers. Heck we have to have crows in a ''season'' and darned tree rats too
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

We have a split season here in Maine. That and turkey. I've always wanted to hunt them, but never get around to buying my license until deer/squirrel season.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

*sigh* crow are protected, our borders are not... priorities seem to be a cynical joke these days
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    What kind of BS is that? Are you saying that we made a treaty with Mexico over a bird?
    Well it's not just one bird and the treaty is not just with Mexico, but it was with Canada, Japan, and the then Soviet Union. Each country wanted to protect their bird flocks and some birds (like the crow and bald eagle) got added to get the treaty passed.

― Robert A. Heinlein,

It would seem that the main problem the lady in the video has is that the state she lives in (Maryland) appears to have no open season on crows. I knew that they were protected, but the states I've hunted in all have some type of legal season. In Kansas, the current season / regulations are:
    CROW
    * Season: Nov.10 - March 10, 2008
    * Area Open: Statewide
    * Limit: No Limit

P95Carry:
    A little advice if you own any land with any type of water impoundment. Should you ever notice 3 or 4 Canadian geese that have made your pond their home, get a hunting license and a waterfowl stamp and dispatch them at your earliest convenience (they are great eating, btw). I can't tell you how many people around my area (S.E. Kansas) thought it was "cool" when a few Canadian geese decided to make their pond their home until a few years had passed and their pond was now home to hundreds, if not thousands, of geese. Canadian geese are extremely adaptable and will make their home where they can. Unlike crows that are predominately carrion eaters, geese are strictly vegetarians. This usually translates to crops. Large flocks of them can be very destructive.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Assistant Administrator
    hoss - thx for the suggestion. Sad to say my land ownership does not extend to the nearest pond or two where they sometimes congregate.... about 500 yards away.

I have a feeling tho that with numbers increasing as they are - eventually concessions will have to be made to permit some much needed control.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links