Teotwawki - Page 2

Teotwawki

This is a discussion on Teotwawki within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by TN_Mike On this subject, has anyone else looked at the trailers for the movie "I am Legend" with Will Smith. It looks ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Teotwawki

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TN_Mike View Post
    On this subject, has anyone else looked at the trailers for the movie "I am Legend" with Will Smith. It looks to be an End of the World as we know it type of story. Looks interesting.
    I've been waiting for this movie for a while... isn't is a remake of 'The Omega Man' with Charlton Heston?

Administrator
    I'm all about the SHTF stuff, but if its the end of the world... I guess there is really no point in preparing for it, cause I'm probably not going to be around to enjoy having the world to myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch View Post
    Actually, a full tin foil body suit might be in order...
    That would be better than a tinfoil hat. It's been shown that a tinfoil hat, since it's convex and not enclosed, has the capacity to actually transmit your thoughts.

Faraday cage is really the only way to go.

Now, this is entertaining, but I must go perform my bi-hourly bug sweep of my house. I will return when I'm sure it's clear.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
    That would be better than a tinfoil hat. It's been shown that a tinfoil hat, since it's convex and not enclosed, has the capacity to actually transmit your thoughts.

Faraday cage is really the only way to go.

Now, this is entertaining, but I must go perform my bi-hourly bug sweep of my house. I will return when I'm sure it's clear.
    Excellent point blackbear. I think I'm going to head out to the garage and fire up the welder and build me a Faraday cage.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Don't really think about it, strongly doubt it will happen, difficult times, economic chaos, etc etc..its happened before..WWI --WWII-- Depression-- the sixties--etc Its all happened...nothing new under the stars...if SHTF..I'll just hunker down at home with alot of good books till it all passes and I get back to work! Besides most people don'thave time for teotwawkit , shtf, etc...We have car payments, lawns to mow, and soccer games for the kids!!!

I want to be the man who thinks the important stuff up for the warlords of post war America..thats the good job.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Thats why I picked up my new AK. Stock up on ammo and water. Oh and don't forget to stockpile some Kinsgsford Charcoal as well.

Attached Images

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm, wasn't there a lot of this kind of stuff going around about Y2K?
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

There was indeed. Still is, to a greater or lesser extent. There's quite a wide (if silent) community out there preparing for what appears to be the rapid degradation of society. I encourage everyone interested to read this thread about one man's experience during Hurricane Katrina.:
    http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?...dpost&p=120911
    It is a very long post, but I deem it essential reading for anyone who considers preparedness. Goes to show that you need more than 8,000 rounds of ammo and 3,000 gallons of water, especially for a short term SHTF.

Also, for anyone that's interested in fiction, I highly reccomend reading "Lights Out" by halffast. It's rather long (longer than most books) but is one man's incredible insight into how society can degrade.

http://www.giltweasel.com/stuff/LightsOut-Current.pdf
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Have you guys seen the show Jericho? Kind of interesting...far fetched but it did get me thinking about what I would do if SHTF.
    Pretty scarry how much we rely on modern day conveniences and what would happen if all of that changed.
    Benjamin Franklin once said, "he that would supplant a little liberty for a little safety deserves neither".

Senior Moderator
    12-21-2012

Is the date the Mayan calender ended on. That's a lot of fuss because the Mayans figured that 1,872,000 days was enough!
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    12-21-2012

Is the date the Mayan calender ended on. That's a lot of fuss because the Mayans figured that 1,872,000 days was enough!
    Civilizations can collapse for lots of reasons. For example, Roman society collapsed because, since they had no value for "zero", they could not successfully terminate their C programs . . .
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    12-21-2012

You'll have to forgive me, but I'm not gonna put a lot of stock in what was predicted by a civilization that ended abruptly, itself, had no aviation, no microscopes, no telescopes, no electricity, etc. Oh, and did they not engage in human sacrifice like a lot of the other "cultures" down there? (Not sure.)

Nope, not gonna get all superstitious and worry about that. But if it happens, hey, I ain't gonna cry. This world has been running down for some time, now, in my view...

Senior Moderator
    They didn't predict that the world would end, that is just the last day they had on their calender. You see they carved all 1,872,000 days in a stone calender and stopped on the Winter solistce in 2012 (12-21).

I always thought they figured they could just start on a new stone when they got closer to 2012
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links