Teotwawki - Page 3

Teotwawki

This is a discussion on Teotwawki within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Yeah, my understand was that the calendar was supposed to just reset, though evidently they predicted that there would be a "reset" of civilisation. This, ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Teotwawki

Yeah, my understand was that the calendar was supposed to just reset, though evidently they predicted that there would be a "reset" of civilisation. This, of course, from a present-day Mayan astrologer, though, so take that for what it's worth. Either way, better to be prepared.

Oh, and rodc13, see my sig line.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

Administrator

It's pretty amazing reading the translated documents of what went on before, during, & right after the 1st millennium.
    Y1K <<~~~

It was honestly not much different than Y2K concerning how people panicked. Of course there were no computers to crash or planes to fall from the sky back then but, people freed their slaves...sewed themselves up in sack-cloth covered themselves with ashes...donated all their worldly possessions to the church.

It was all eerily similar.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member
    Somebody wanna help me out, here?

I guess it sort of depends on how it happens. If we are talking about societal breakdown then yeah, plans are good. If we are talking planet destroying cataclysmic meteor strike or something like that, I will have to deal with it day by day. Some scenarios I am prepared for, others preparation wouldn't make any difference.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

If the fit hits the shan, it is more likely to do so when we least expect it. Granted we can see a decline before it happens, but like the Depression, it happened almost overnight.

We can prepare for a scenario like this, but it will bite us in the rear end when it happens because we are wrapped up in our normal daily lives.

I'm not saying to not prepare, just be prepared to be surprised when it happens. I fear that we (generalization) don't realize just what it is going to take to make it for an extended period. When supplies that have been stockpiled begin to run out, then what?
    "A simple way to take measure of a country is to look at how many want in ... And how many want out." British Prime Minister Tony Blair

Administrator
    Statement by purple88yj
    This is VERY true.

"I fear that we (generalization) don't realize just what it is going to take to make it for an extended period."
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Rats! I will have worked 35 years and only get to enjoy one year of retirement - figures.
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by walvord View Post
    Rats! I will have worked 35 years and only get to enjoy one year of retirement - figures.
    Hey, don't look at it as a loss, look at it as an opportunity in an exciting new world!
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Here's what the smart folks are saying are the top 10 ways the world will end suddenly.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/167 (until I saw this I thought all of that stuff about pole shift was tinfoil hat stuff, but maybe not?)

If any of them occur there would be no way to prepare, but i am more concerned about societal breakdown that could occur on a short or long term basis caused by economic failure, natural disaster, terrorism, etc.

I also recommend the lights out book. Very interesting read. Makes you think about how reliant we are on the power grid and what might happen if it goes down for longer than a couple of weeks.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtD View Post
    Here's what the smart folks are saying are the top 10 ways the world will end suddenly.

http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/view/id/167 (until I saw this I thought all of that stuff about pole shift was tinfoil hat stuff, but maybe not?).
    Thanks for the link to TED. Interesting talk by Petranek, and lots of other stuff worth investigating.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

I just watched the Petranek/TED video...not impressed. Colonizing Mars? Looking for another Earth-like planet? I don't think so. When the time comes for the world to end, there won't be any getting out of it IMO.

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    December 2012 - Big Teotwawki party at my house. Be there or be square.
    that's when both of my CCW permits expire...sounds like good timing!
    War is not the ugliest of things. Worse is the decayed state of moral feeling which thinks nothing is worth a war. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which he cares for more than his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free. -J.S. Mill

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well to me TEOTWAWKI is as simple as the hillery/paul ticket winning the next election LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

This week our area flooded pretty bad the valley below us was all under water salmon swimming with the cattle. Some areas are still stranded without power or a road to get in or out. My back yard is hundreds of miles of pristine national forest. There is a reason all these coastal ndns were fat. All my neighbors have laid in stores of supplies. We have stores of ammo and arrows
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

Quote Originally Posted by phaed View Post
    that's when both of my CCW permits expire...sounds like good timing!
    I just got my renewal today and it expires 12/4/12.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links