Founding Fathers conceal carry?

This is a discussion on Founding Fathers conceal carry? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Lots of folks quote the founding fathers and the second ammendment, has anyone done the research to show if they carried a weapon during daily ...

Thread: Founding Fathers conceal carry?

Founding Fathers conceal carry?

Lots of folks quote the founding fathers and the second ammendment, has anyone done the research to show if they carried a weapon during daily activity? It seems the sidearms of the day would be rather bulky and have only one 'round'. Don't think they had body guards, but they were in public venues more often than not.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    It depends on where you are. Back then (say 1750 - 1790) most weapons carried were long arms, not pistols...... They were just to inaccurate to be of much use. Also a long arm was considered very "normal", much like a tool back then.

Now, I've never seen any any reference to any real concealed carry from that period..... But when the primary weapon has a barrel length of 40+ inches, it makes things a little hard to hide!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member
    Here's one who i bet spent most the time armed:

• Thomas Jefferson: "One loves to possess arms"; and advising his 15-year-old nephew, he wrote, "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Lead Moderator
    I thought gentlemen of the day frequently carried derringers and small pocket guns?
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I thought gentlemen of the day frequently carried derringers and small pocket guns?
    During the 1800s & early 1900s a LOT of people carried pocket pistols.

Go to ANY gun show & look around at the antique weapons for sale. You will dozens of older model pocket pistols for sale....these were used by ordinary people like you & me.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by goawayfarm View Post
    Here's one who i bet spent most the time armed:
    • Thomas Jefferson: "One loves to possess arms"; and advising his 15-year-old nephew, he wrote, "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."

Yes, Thomas Jefferson, my favorite American.
    I believe this might be what he carried daily. Not sure of it though.

American Derringer .38 spl

Seriously though, we know from their writings, quotes and letters the importance they put on the right and the practice to bear arms. Daily concealed carry may not have been that practical with the weapons of the day though.
    The more I read and learn of our 'founding fathers', the more I am impressed and amazed by them. Their dedication, patriotism and foresight was and still is impressive, at least to me.
    If you've never been to D.C., Mt. Vernon, Monticello and the like, I would suggest you make plans to make the trip someday. It'd be well worth, IMO.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Links