Who hates smoking??

This is a discussion on Who hates smoking?? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I work for my grandpa at a auto repair shop, well so does this so called secretary who does nothing but smoke from 11am to ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who hates smoking??

Exclamation Who hates smoking??

I work for my grandpa at a auto repair shop, well so does this so called secretary who does nothing but smoke from 11am to 530pm in the office. My desk along with computer is located in the office, I'm in the office 65% using my service writing program. What I'm asking is what would you do to stop this, I talked to the boss (my grandad who is 69) and he says it doesn't bother him, I put up numerous no smoking signs in the office, on her desk, and i printed a 6 page report on second hand smoke and she just acts like nothing is going on, its crazy. Let me hear what you have to say about it

2. Remove Ads

I hate it too... but I'm the boss so I tell my employees they have to go outside. "I don't care that its -10F plus windchill. That will give you incentive to quit"
    I used to smoke and after I quit I have NO TOLERANCE for people who do. Smoking makes their character weak. AND most employees try to use it as a free break on the clock. I hate smokers... its like a free pass to get perks because they smoke.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

http://groups.myspace.com/Concealedcarry

Assistant Administrator
    I smoke (pipe) - but I do find the lack of consideration of some smokers to be excessive. My wife smokes too but for near 2 years now we have kept the house smoke free ... we go out on the porch to smoke.

A smoker should have the right to indulge his/her habit as their choice but not to impose that on folks who find it unpleasant. There is a ''live-and-let-live'' compromize possible such that those who wish to breathe cleaner air can - and yet the smoker can still indulge.

IMO it is selfish as heck what you are describing - the secretary seems to have zero consideration for others. That is what gives smokers a bad name, leaving aside the obvious health issues.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Isn't it a crime to commit suicide? thats basically what their doing... just prolonging it... might as well go kill yourselves now and save yourselves from the years of caughing your lungs out and the numerous health issues. Maybe its because I have seen half my family die from smoke related illnesses. Or maybe I'm just crazy.
    Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8

i personally cant stand it. i have no problem with people doing it outside, in bars (since i rarely go to bars), etc.
    i have very sensitive eyes (i can NOT cut onions) so it bothers me a lot just because of that. so i simply couldnt work in the same office as someone smoking.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    I smoke (pipe) - but I do find the lack of consideration of some smokers to be excessive. My wife smokes too but for near 2 years now we have kept the house smoke free ... we go out on the porch to smoke.

A smoker should have the right to indulge his/her habit as their choice but not to impose that on folks who find it unpleasant. There is a ''live-and-let-live'' compromize possible such that those who wish to breathe cleaner air can - and yet the smoker can still indulge.

IMO it is selfish as heck what you are describing - the secretary seems to have zero consideration for others. That is what gives smokers a bad name, leaving aside the obvious health issues.
    As a smoker, I agree totally with Chris. Does Kansas have any workplace laws that might be of use here? A gentle discussion with your grandfather? Move your computer out on the floor? Just looking for a solution....

I do agree with celticwolf, On the the other hand this is a business, 90% of it is handled in the office. Its almost like a fog its so bad, the smell is ridiculous. Am I right??

Quote Originally Posted by CelticWolf View Post
    I hate smokers... its like a free pass to get perks because they smoke.
    A "Free Pass"? "Perks"? Come Again? Ah....and I'm of weak character too? Heh - I'm not fat! Does that make me better or worse?

I agree it's a vile habit, but I didn't realize I was getting free passes and perks.....where'd those get handed out......

In kansas there is no specific law on smoking in the workplace, as far as moving my unit, its getting very tempting.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    A "Free Pass"? "Perks"? Come Again? Ah....and I'm of weak character too? Heh - I'm not fat! Does that make me better or worse?

I agree it's a vile habit, but I didn't realize I was getting free passes and perks.....where'd those get handed out......
    when they are allowed to take breaks just because they smoke..

Im about to bring a pack of candy cigs to work and kick my feet up every hour or so for 5-6 minutes.. think the owner would have a problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Cheatum007 View Post
    In kansas there is no specific law on smoking in the workplace, as far as moving my unit, its getting very tempting.
    She's being very rude and inconsiderate , but you're in a tough place what with your Grandad and such.

Could you get a rolling computer stand and just pull it out with you in the shop? That keep the peace? It's a PITA that you even have to address this - she's a real case. Sorry 'bout her........

Administrator
    Well, if you want to hate it because you don't like the smell then that is fine.

If you want to hate it because it bothers your eyes then that is fine.

Just don't hate it because you think that "second hand" or passive smoke is killing you because the actual (and greatly ignored) science does not support that.

Second hand smoke is a very hotly charged issue and many people just do not like or appreciate the smoke.

For that reason alone smokers should not smoke around other people who do not like it.
    It's called common courtesy.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I have two rolling carts, so I guess ill be moving my things soon. As for common courtesy, she has none at all. Thanks for your input guys

Wow that might do the trick but so would my G30

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links