Do you miss a vehicle?

This is a discussion on Do you miss a vehicle? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; 1968 Buick Grand Sport Riviera. I was just out of High School and it was a sweet ride in the mid 80's. Hard Rock, a ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Do you miss a vehicle?

1968 Buick Grand Sport Riviera.

I was just out of High School and it was a sweet ride in the mid 80's. Hard Rock, a babe and my ride. Man, those were the days. Now it's "Comfort Sole" shoes, cholesterol meds and yearly Dr's exams.

Biker

2. Remove Ads

HA! I never sold my favorite vehicle. I still have it! I've had some other good vehicles, but by far, the best vehicle I've ever owned is my 1996 Chevy S-10. Back in 2003, my dad bought a brand new S-10. He worked for the GM plant here in Oklahoma City. He paid cash for that truck and figured that since he had never had a wreck in his entire life, he would drop it to liability only. BIG mistake. Three days later, a tornado hit the GM plant while he was at work. You may remember hearing about it on the news. It trashed that little truck and it only had about 800 miles on it. So, he went and bought another S-10 and had to finance it! HA! The old one was towed out and put in his barn. The engine and tranny in the truck were still good and he told me that if I could find another S-10 with a 4 cylinder motor and 5 speed tranny that was bad, to buy it and I could take the motor and tranny out of his 03. I'm pretty mechanically savvy. I eventually found my S-10 in Tulsa. I talked the guy down to $1,200 from $2,000. It had 165,000 miles on it at the time. Unfortunately, this truck ran and drove great and didn't need the motor or tranny! It even looks pretty good. I've had it for almost 5 years now and still haven't had to use the motor or tranny. It now has 221,000 miles on it and I drive it every day. I even drove it to Oregon and back earlier this year. That was a 4,500 mile trip. It has never let me down and I'm not planning to get rid of it. If it blows the motor or tranny, I have another on standby.

Oh, yes. Kristen was her name and she was my dream car...1986 CJ7. It was black with a black hardtop, the straight 6, and 5spd. Never mind it never steered right, and I had to start it with pliers, she was my dream car. There's nothing like the smell of a Jeep, especially a CJ!

After I was widowed, I sold it at the recommendation of my family. I should have never listened. Oh, what I wouldn't give to get her back. My late husband had just put a new motor in it, so it ran like a dream. I could have stored her at my brothers farm until I could have completely restored her. It was so doable. It's been 9 years now, and even at 31, I still regret selling it. For a long time after Overhaulin came out, I secretly wished someone would find it and restore her to original for me. Yes, Yes, I dream big.

Distinguished Member Array P7fanatic's Avatar

Cool

I miss the 2 Maserati's I owned when I was stationed in Sicily twice. They weren't importable.
    I also miss the third car I ever owned. It is a 1967 Cougar XR7 GT.
    I say 'is' because it's still sitting on our property back in Texas. I'll have it renovated to near original condition one of these days.
    Last edited by P7fanatic; December 6th, 2007 at 08:22 AM.
    "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." -Thomas Jefferson

"Liberalism is a Mental Disorder." -Michael Savage

GOOD Gun Control is being able to hit your target! -Myself

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    My first love was a '77 half-ton orange Dodge pick-up. Mom and I were working on dressing it up. The hood had air dams (for lack of a better work that we put chrome on so it would stick out and the Dodge on the tailgate we did in Chrome. Before we got done, I had to go to work on bad roads and I lost her..
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Sold, no, but totalled? Yes. The last of August, I was in an accident, which totalled my 1997 Pontiac Firebird. It was 11 years old, with 102K miles. It was a nice car, never had a major mechanical problem. The most that I ever spent on it was $750 to replace the motor on the passenger side power window. I'm currently driving a rental, until I save enough to buy another car. It's an Aveo, or as I lovingly refer to it, it's a 2008 Chevrolet Piece of Crap. So, I do miss my Firebird.

'73 cj5 my first vehicle. we parted on bad terms
    do what you can with what you have where you are at (theodore roosevelt)

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Further recollection from my (late) '65 Mustang ... it was BTW a 289 V8 ....... did some Euro travel and a day that was great was the day buddy passenger and I went from Geneva Switzerland to Paris - up the Auto Route de Sud ........

Pedal to metal pretty much - 120 mph all the way - ahh the memories Them's were the days - youth and vigor LOL.
    I think I posted pics before, my wife and I have a 66 coup in candy apple red. (non factory color) with a 302 in it. I'll try to either find the pic or I'll take a new one. We don't get it out all that often.

clipse
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

1960 F100 Custom Cab... 289 V8 w/ three on the tree.... 15 rear five spoke Chrome mags and 14' front ones. Candy Apple Gold and original round glass radio that still worked... No known surviving pictures of it exist. Went all through College with that beast.

Looked something like this one except image Metal Flake Gold paint

Last edited by cphilip; December 6th, 2007 at 08:41 PM.

1984 CJ7, regretted it ever since I sold it, but started having kids and needed more room.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by ELCruisr View Post
    I parted with a '71 Toyota FJ40 Landcruiser. Noisy, rough ride and no speed machine but better in the back country than anything I've seen since.
    Those old FJ40's are battle tanks. My first vehicle was an 81 Toyota 4x4 pick up. I wish I still had that tank, now that I'm slowly getting into rock crawling. Got to love those solid front axles for the rocks.

Quote Originally Posted by P7fanatic View Post
    I miss the 2 Maserati's I owned when I was stationed in Sicily twice. They weren't importable.
    I also miss the third car I ever owned. It is a 1967 Cougar XR7 GT.
    I say 'is' because it's still sitting on our property back in Texas. I'll have it renovated to near original condition one of these days.
    My very first car was a '67 Cougar, 302 automatic, not a GT though. It was a $300 clunker my dad bought for me back in '77. After I wrapped that around a telephone pole, I had to buy my next car on my own. That was a '68 Cougar XR7 GT with a 390 3-speed. Ah, the good ole days.

78 Monte Carlo my grandpa bought new, had a lot of great memories in that car.....A lot of great memories

I miss the Dog, the Truck and even the former "Best Friend" but not the Ex.

I know there's a song in there somewhere.

Biker

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    My first car, a '69 Cutlass convertible with a 350 Rocket V8.

And my first new car, an '86 Toyota MR2.

And the Toyota Supra Turbo I had to trade in when my son got too big for the back seat.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links