way off topic

way off topic

This is a discussion on way off topic within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I read this today: "New Russian weapons are showing up in Iraq, apparently smuggled across the Syrian border. One of the more dangerous has been ...

Thread: way off topic

way off topic

I read this today:

"New Russian weapons are showing up in Iraq, apparently smuggled across the Syrian border. One of the more dangerous has been the RPG-29. This is a larger version of the widely used RPG-7. With a ten pound launcher firing a 14.7 pound 105mm rocket, the RPG-29 warhead is designed to get past some forms of reactive armor (ERA). The larger weapon (3.3 feet long when carried out, six feet long when ready to fire and 65 percent heavier than the 85mm RPG-7) is more difficult to carry around and fire, but some have been captured, and the damage on some American armored vehicles indicate they were hit by an RPG-29 rocket. The RPG-29 has an effective range of 500 meters. The warhead can also penetrate five feet of reinforced concrete.

There is also a one shot version, the RPG-27, which weighs 17 pounds and has an effective range of 200 meters. Some of these have been found in Iraq as well. The RPG-29 and 27 are considered the "third generation" of the RPG family. The "second generation" was a failure, which the cheaper, and nearly as capable, RPG-7.

Both RPG-29s and 27s were developed and entered production just before the Soviet Union collapsed in 1991. They are available through legitimate, or black market, arms dealers and are more expensive than the RPG-7 (which is manufactured by many countries.) RPG-29 launchers cost over $500 each, and the rockets for about $300 each. The RPG-27s cost over $500 each. Its known that many of Saddams higher ranking supporters escaped to Syria with a lot of cash. Apparently some of it is being spent on RPG-27s and 29s"

Now all that I am wondering is where these legitamate dealers are at because I WANT ONE! :)
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Assistant Administrator
    The RPG-29 has an effective range of 500 meters. The warhead can also penetrate five feet of reinforced concrete.
    Heck - that is some serious long range kick-butt. Hope our boys can stear clear of those things seeing as they are bad news on reactive. Nothing a Hellfire can't take out tho!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Well if citizens can own and operate a Tiger Panzer, Ma Deuce and flame throwers I think I should have this too :D
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Me I want a MIG29, but unfortunatly all weapons have to be removed before it can be brought into the U.S.

Links