Hunting with AR15 in Arkansas - Round Count

This is a discussion on Hunting with AR15 in Arkansas - Round Count within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am going to Columbia County this weekend to clear some hogs. I am going to take my AR15 with me. Here is the problem. ...

Thread: Hunting with AR15 in Arkansas - Round Count

Hunting with AR15 in Arkansas - Round Count

I am going to Columbia County this weekend to clear some hogs. I am going to take my AR15 with me.

Here is the problem. It is deer season in Arkansas. I do not want to be out in the fields with a 30 round mag, and have an Arkansas Game Warden come by.

Here is my question. If I use a 30 round mag, but only have it loaded to 5 rounds is that legal in AR? Do I have to have it blocked/plugged? Is plugging the magazine a legal way to go about this?

We will be on private land. Does that make a difference? I have tried to contact the Game and Fish Commission, but have not had good luck with that.

Thanks for the help.

2. Remove Ads

Looking at the regs, I don't see where there is a capacity limit for modern firearms in Arkansas. You must however follow the deer regulations when hunting feral hogs during deer season. Someone from AR may have more info than me being just across the state line.

Modern Gun
    All modern guns are legal for deer hunting during modern gun season with the following exceptions:

You may not use buckshot in a .410-gauge shotgun.
    You may not use shot smaller than No. 4 buckshot in any shotgun.
    any centerfire rifle, pistol or revolver smaller than .22 caliber.
    You may not use rimfire cartridges, military or full metal jacketed ammunition.
    You may not use handguns with barrels shorter than four inches. See illustration below.
    In zones 4, 4B, 5, and 5B, modern guns are restricted to shotguns .410 or larger with slugs. Muzzleloading rifles also may be used.

The barrel of a handgun must be at least four inches measured from A to B.

Hunter Orange Requirements
    Hunting accidents are reduced when safety colors are worn because visibility is greatly increased. Hunter orange or chartreuse must be worn by hunters during modern gun or muzzleloader deer, elk or bear seasons.

The colored area of the garment must total at least 400 square inches above the waist. In addition, a hunter orange or chartreuse head garment must be worn.

If you are hunting in an area that is closed to firearms deer, elk or bear seasons or if you are hunting migratory birds, these safety colors are not required.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Thanks. Yes, I have found and read all the lit on the site.
    I know that I have to follow regs, but I did not see them listed. I am sure that I remember in my early days that there was a mag limit.

I know that there is one for the slug guns (3) in zone 4, and others in different zones. I will be in zone 12, but like you I have not found a mag limit posted.

Senior Moderator
    but like you I have not found a mag limit posted
    Thats because there are no magazine restrictions.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

for real?

So I can carry a 30 round mag in my AR15 loaded to the capacity? Wow! I could swear that it would be illegal. Well it says that all modern guns are allowed except for the above mentioned.
    Thanks again HG.
    Last edited by *SA-XD4ME*; December 3rd, 2007 at 11:53 PM. Reason: added to the post.

Senior Moderator
    It is illegal in some states...but not here.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I'd appreciate it if you gave us a report on how the AR15 does on the hogs.

Quote Originally Posted by libertarian5 View Post
    I'd appreciate it if you gave us a report on how the AR15 does on the hogs.
    sure thing. I was going to take Winchester SuperX Power Point 64 gr and 55 gr.
    I think it will do pretty good. I have done some research on the .223/5.56 round on hogs, small/medium deer. I don't see that it will be problem. The results I have seen are supreme out to 150 yards. Lots of internal damage to organs, and some really big holes. Actually the holes I have seen are bigger than .30 cal bullets. I do not think that this makes .223 better than any other round. Personally I think that a 30-30 to 30-06 are probably the best. I have a British 303 that I could take, but I don't want to.
    If all goes well, and plans do not change, I will post up some info and pics.

Just shoot them behind the ear on a side shot and there won't be any damage to anything other than their brain. They will drop where they are standing.

If your going to take a body shot make sure it is well up front. The vitals on a hog are much farther forward than they are on a deer or other critters. Shooting behind the front leg is too far back for a hog.

Have fun and post some photos of how the .223 does.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Links