Thoughts about Gun Magazines

This is a discussion on Thoughts about Gun Magazines within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I recieve a complimentary subscription to Guns & Ammo but truth be told, I peruse the mag in about 5 minutes and goes to the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts about Gun Magazines

VIP Member

Thoughts about Gun Magazines

I recieve a complimentary subscription to Guns & Ammo but truth be told, I peruse the mag in about 5 minutes and goes to the pile. I simply cannot "click" with most of their articles. Same with other gun magazines that I see as geared toward hunters with at least $15,000 of disposable income a month.
    Maybe my view is to narrow minded & concentrated on two-legged urban critters and I am not disparraging hunters in any way, shape or form, God Bless them, I am just too lazy to go hunting.
    About the only magazine I am subscribed to is SWAT because its focus is closer to my wants (and no, I am not a High Speed-Low Drag operator, just your average couch potato) but SWAT is one of the few (if not only) magazine that not only taks about home & urban self-defense but will cover accesory & work option that do not require for you to exchange bodily fluids for cash in order to pay for the upgrade of your firearm.

I wonder if anybody else has the same feelings about gun magazines in general and has found other printed outlets to satisfy themselves.

PS: Thanks to Bumper once more for this Forum. It helps to keep my habit fed. Unfortunately I don't have a laptop with wireless so I cannot take the forum to my usual reading spots
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

I'm not a huge fan of Guns and Ammo, but I really enjoy American Handgunner. Their content is geared more for those of us on a budget or those of us who want to learn useful information rather than brain clutter. That being said, I normally will go to the store and browse the magazines, pick a few with articles I want to read that month and go home. We also trade magazines in our family. Once you are done with it you pass it on to someone else.
    "All war is deception" --Sun Tzu
    MOΛΩN ΛABÉ

VIP Member
    I think of them much like I think of "men's" magazines - full of very pretty things that I'll probably never get my hands on!
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Assistant Administrator
    I still have some mags coming thru but to be honest - hardly read most of them - waste really. Only CCM gets read cover to cover.

Flip thru the pages and maybe settle on one item of interest but beyond that I do not need them any more. I am not buying much these days and keep in touch with what is new from here.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I miss Jeff Cooper from G&A and historical gun accounts in it but I have to admit that Shotgun News is my absolute favorite!

EDIT:

There are only two gun magazines that I have found here in Germany and it is interesting that they claim the new Kimber is for hunting as is the new Sig. If I figure out how to post a pic here I will :)
    Last edited by Duisburg; December 4th, 2007 at 11:29 AM. Reason: D
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

I let all my gun magazines, except CCM, expire last year.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    CCM gets read cover to cover.
    Ditto.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

I need to get that sub....
    Thats "carry conceal magazine" ?????
    " Refuse to be a victim, make sure there is a round chambered ! "

Just call me a pessimistic optimist !

U.S. Navy vet 1981-1992

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    The only magazine that finds it way to my house is the ones that come with my handguns that I buy. I used to pick up the occasional magazine and take it home, only to read the couple pages that interested me. Then it was piled up with the others. About a year and a half ago, I found something that was worth the money. They had experts in reloading, shooting, law enforcement, camping, dog training, fishing etc. They even had a pretty good "off topic" section that usually contained some pretty good stuff. The people there were more than helpfull to most, if not all, of the people that wrote to them about questions they had.

I get to read about ALL types of firearms, the good, the bad, and the ugly about all of them. Heck, I even learned how to reload, not by me asking the questions, but reading the questions asked by others and reading the replies they were given by the people that also read what I was reading. They have a section that updates people on the national and state level about things for and against firearms laws that everyone should know about. Sometimes, they even have live discussions on some of the most controversial topics involving a lot of people.

I stopped my subscriptions for magazines a long time ago because I felt I wasn't getting what I paid for. Now, the money that used to go to paper magazines all to to a place in Arizona. Those people give me more than any paper magazine could every supply to me.

Thank you Bumper for supplying me and thousands of others like me, the opportunity to be a member of DefensiveCarry.com. I really do get my what I paid for.
    Last edited by mech1369dlw; December 4th, 2007 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Had cranial rectosis, changed site name.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

1943 - 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by artz View Post
    I need to get that sub....
    Thats "carry conceal magazine" ?????
    That's the one.

Subscribe here.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

same here

I was wondering if anyone else found these thin in interesting and long on ads.

VIP Member
    I have come to the point that I buy only the various Annuals that are published by the major magazines. Much less paper piles up that way. I get most of my information here and on other sites on the Internet.

VIP Member
    I get a couple of hunting and a couple of gun related and I read all the articles that can hold my interest. ie: do not put me to sleep.

Our local Kroger's has such a great selection of handgun magzines that I could buy 1 every week and probably always be able to read a new one.

I read American Rifleman and Combat Handguns. Both are usually just scan-throughs.
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Here are some gun mags that I found in Germany
    Attached Images
    I am sworn to protect the Constitution of the U.S.A. from all threats both foreign and domestic.

Of the free ones I get I like Shooting Industry. I do pay for Combat Handguns occasionally off the mag rack. SWAT and Tactical Edge I subscribe to. I get Tactical Response, Law and Order, Police and a bunch of others for free through work.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links