The kids who survived the 1930s, 40s, and 50s!

This is a discussion on The kids who survived the 1930s, 40s, and 50s! within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant. They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a ...

Thread: The kids who survived the 1930s, 40s, and 50s!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets, and when we rode our bikes we had no helmets, not to mention the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts, or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick-up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps, and then ride down the hill only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms....... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of--they actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas. We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boy, this brings back memories. When I was a kid this is pretty much how things were, with a few slight modifications/additions.

When I turned ten, Dad gave me the Remington bolt-action .22 he used to clear pot-gut squirrels off the fence line in the back forty during the depression. For the first two years I owned the .22, it lived in my bedroom closet, along with the BB guns that preceded it. After that, it lived in a gun rack on my bedroom wall along with the M1 carbine that we got from the NRA and a sporterized Enfield 30-06 that Dad built for me. Ammo for all of these lived in the drawer built into the bottom of the gun rack. It never occurred to either Dad or me that there was anything unusual or unsafe about this, because it was a pretty common practice at that time and in that place.

When I was in high school, we made scale-model cannons in machine shop class, made re-curve hunting bows in carpentry class and carried knives in our pockets on school grounds on a daily basis. We test fired the cannons and bows out behind the shop building when they were finished, just to make sure they really worked.

When my older son was in his early teens, he joined the local small-bore rifle club that shot once a week on the indoor range that was built into the basement of the local high school. Once upon a time, every high school that was built using federal funds was required to have an indoor range in the building in order to provide shooting facilities for local ROTC programs. So, each week there were a dozen or so adolescent kids milling around in the high school basement, each in position of a fully functional firearm and live ammunition.

Nobody was hurt by any of this, and there weren’t any school shootings back then, either.
    "A gentleman will seldom, if ever, need a pistol. However, if he does, he needs it very badly!" -- Sir Winston Churchill

"He who goes unarmed in paradise had better be sure that is where he is." -- James Thurber

Amen Yes I have been there and did that. My .22 Remington Bolt-action and ammo was in my room also.
    Geo.
    P.S. I have that .22 in my room to this day some 60+ years later.

See and that is the reason the life expectancy has gone up and caused all the problems with our country's finances. If all you old geezers had lived a little more dangerously we wouldn't have to support you all.

I hope the youngsters today take care of themselves so that they can support me when I get to be old.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Another 'been there, did that'...things have certainly changed, but I guess that's life!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Yes, when I was 13 we took Bernz-o-matic gas cylinders and shot them with real .22s and 20 gauge shotguns. No one called ATF, the bomb squad, the tactical special special entry ops ops armored constabulary.

I knew a guy who blew his arm off making a bomb. Fifty years later he retired from a long career as a government chemist. No jail time for bomb making. No CPS taking him from "uncaring" parents who shouldn't have let him play with those things. We need to bring back the "chemistry set." If you don't know what that is, its because it was too potentially dangerous to be on today's kiddo toy market.

And amazing thing, NYC High Schools had rifle teams, and you could take a gun on the subway. Try that today without ending up in juvenile court or dead.

VIP Member
    Yuppers...(snif) brings back great memories!

Distinguished Member Array airslot's Avatar
    Imagine:
    A dozen teenage boys on bicycles, rifles slung on their backs, riding through the burbs for a day of FUN ( shooting ) out in the hills.

Anyone care to try that today?? Didn't think so.

SWAT would be all over it!!!

Too Bad. It used to be fun to be young.
    The situation will NEVER BE THE WAY YOU WANT, it WILL BE THE WAY IT IS. You must be FLEXIBLE ENOUGH TO ADAPT and just "DEAL WITH IT".

Yeah, the good old days. Just a note; when I went into the military in 1965, one could buy a rifle via an advertisment in the gun rags, no gunshop involvement. When I returned to the states in 1969, that right was taken away by laws passed in 1968.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Boy, did you hit a note. All the things you listed were almost dead-on with how I grew up. I never got a BB gun, however--I got a .22 when I was 13 yo. When I went away to college (Purdue) in 1952, my roommate and I both kept our .22's in our dorm room (locked up) and carried them out of the dorm to go shooting. No-one ever said a word about it.

I think I like my world back then better than the one I'm in now.

The only flaw in this is that many did not survive those times. Whenever I hear the line about didn't you do so-and-so when you were a kid I reply. "Yep, and that is ecactly why I don't want you doing it". There are a lot of good thoughts in the OP but as Paul Harvey said, "We call them the good old days because we weren't old and we weren't good". :)

I was born in the 50's. a lot of that rings true.

another line that I like:
    I remember when Potato skins and chicken wings was stuff that you threw away!!

I was born the summer of 1970 and that whole list reminds me of times as it used to be for me too; having friends in real life, there was just one big/fat kid and he wore size 'husky', and we all drank Kool-Aid with sugar.

What happened between then and like 1989?

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    Riding in the back of a pick-up on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on. No one was able to reach us all day. And we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps, and then ride down the hill only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVDs, no surround-sound or CDs, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chat rooms....... WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of--they actually sided with the law!
    Born in the early 1980s and all of those above held true for me
    Chipped a tooth when a friend and I were having a water fight with football helmets (we didn't have buckets )
    Nowadays, I'm sure it is MUCH more difficult to have experienced those same things.

VIP Member
    Yep, that is the way it was.

Sponsored Links