Poor poor Michigan

This is a discussion on Poor poor Michigan within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; if you didnt know, michigans economy sucks right now, and our lovely gov'ner is doing a great job of 'fixing' it by raising taxes and ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor poor Michigan

Poor poor Michigan

if you didnt know, michigans economy sucks right now, and our lovely gov'ner is doing a great job of 'fixing' it by raising taxes and forcing even more companies out of michigan.
    heres a few facts about it you may not have known...

1 Gov Granholm is the 3rd highest paid Gov in the country at $177,000 in salary. This does not count her $60,000 expense account. Only the Gov of New York and Calf make more than her!
    2. Gov Granholm's husband has 3 assistants paid by the state. The highest paid assistant makes $117,000 a year.
    3. Our state Congressmen and Senators are the 2nd highest paid at $79,650 in salary. This does not count their $20,000 expense account. Only California legistalatures make more.
    4. Our teachers are the 3rd highest paid teachers in the country.
    5. Our cigarette tax is the 4th highest in the country.
    6. Our Corporate Income Tax rate is the 7th highest.
    Funny how we don't have enough money to pay our bills and the only answer is for us to pay more in taxes, when our public servants are getting fat on our sweat! Pass it on...

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post

1 Gov Granholm is the 3rd highest paid Gov in the country at $177,000 in salary. This does not count her $60,000 expense account. Only the Gov of New York and Calf make more than her!
    2. Gov Granholm's husband has 3 assistants paid by the state. The highest paid assistant makes $117,000 a year.
    3. Our state Congressmen and Senators are the 2nd highest paid at $79,650 in salary. This does not count their $20,000 expense account. Only California legistalatures make more.
    Funny how we don't have enough money to pay our bills and the only answer is for us to pay more in taxes, when our public servants are getting fat on our sweat! Pass it on...
    I find Numbers 1, 2 and 3 deplorable - what is the relative cost of living in the state? It has to be low compared to many other states! That is just disgusting.

Number 2: Is he on her staff? What is his role? That looks excessive to me, but I don't have all of the facts.

Number 4: Kudos! We need to pay our teachers more - I just hope you get a lot of bang for the buck, and I hope it's not getting siphoned off to administrators and bureaucrats.

Number 5: The favorite "Whipping Post" in the USA right now.

Number 7: You hit it right on the head! High business taxes drive off businesses. Texas has been a beneficiary of many other state's tax increases. The prrof is in the rate of growth of business and corporate HQ located here.

I think it's time you folks revolted at the polls, and throw them all out!

if you didnt know, michigans economy sucks right now, and our lovely gov'ner is doing a great job of 'fixing' it by raising taxes and forcing even more companies out of michigan.

Was there for the first downfall in the early 80's...went to Alaska!
    Came back in the 90's...retired in '99...won't be back!
    Just another group or self-gratifying politicians, too bad they're are all over the country.

Good Luck!

2A is not just for protection from criminals...politicians are included in there somewhere!

Stay armed...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Next time, elect an American governor.

oh believe me, i tried to through her out.
    last election the guy running against her, actually a friend of a friend of mine,
    unfortunately lost. he was a good conservative, excellent business man.
    make grand rapids what it is today. and could have really turned things around.
    too bad nobody had really heard of him, that and grandhore has too many friends in gansta detroit

Lead Moderator
    While the current gov. did not help , it has been an ongoing problem of fat cat politicians in this state for a while. The oddest thing, is I see all sorts of people every day spending lots on Christmas. MI does need to turn the economy around , if we want to have a good state to live in.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

JD
    Administrator
    Grew up down river, graduated high school, got the heck out of MI as quick as I could. I miss it a lot, but I'm glad I got out.

Assistant Administrator
    Waiting for Bud's input
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

With the new franchise tax they just passed last year and will take effect this year in Texas I am not sure we are going to keep all the businesses we have attracted.

What it really boils down to, whether it is your local city, county, state, or federal government, and I don't care if they are Dem or Rep, they all pretty much are sorry individuals. It ain't their money so they don't spend it wisely. Regardless of what they say on the stump, when it comes down to the facts of the matter, if they are either spending more than they bring in for revenue, as in the past 7 years federal budget, or raising property taxes or relying on the economic growth of the past 2 decades for increased tax revenue, they just can't seem to slow down their spending.

I feel for you up there, but honestly, it isn't any better any place else. And yes Rocky, your right, people in general spend way too much money. How much you reckon all of us on this forum have invested in guns, ammo and related gear. Now that would be one hell of a thread.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Spent 14 years and was educated in MI. Don't miss the snow!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

sounds about right.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

oh believe me, i tried to through her out.
    last election the guy running against her, actually a friend of a friend of mine,
    unfortunately lost. he was a good conservative, excellent business man.
    make grand rapids what it is today. and could have really turned things around.
    too bad nobody had really heard of him, that and grandhore has too many friends in gansta detroit
    Good effort in trying to make a change. I wish you luck.

Give it to Canada!

All good reasons to let Canada have AT least the U.P., if not the entire blighted state!!

(Just kidding, folks! As a proud Buckeye, I hadda' throw that it!!)

A man in the hands of his enemies is flesh, and shudderingly vulnerable. - author unknown

Distinguished Member Array Dakotaranger's Avatar
    Just to make you feel worse I think Hell (Michigan) probably froze over this week too.
    "[T]he people are not to be disarmed of their weapons.
    They are left in full possession of them."

Zacharia Johnson (speech in the Virginia Ratifying Convention,25 June 1778)"The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." ~Alexander Hamilton

this week?
    the UP froze over a long time ago

and yes.. i will be leaving as soon as they give me my diploma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links