How do you shave?

This is a discussion on How do you shave? within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I started on double-bladed disposables - whatever my father had on hand. Then I got hooked by Gillette's brilliant marketing scheme. About a year ago ...

View Poll Results: How do you shave?

Voters
111. You may not vote on this poll
  • Double-edge/straight razor

7 6.31%
  • Cartridge/Disposable

72 64.86%
  • Other (Feel free to elaborate)

32 28.83%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: How do you shave?

How do you shave?

I started on double-bladed disposables - whatever my father had on hand. Then I got hooked by Gillette's brilliant marketing scheme. About a year ago I discovered "traditional" shaving, and have been shaving with badger brush and double-edged razor ever since. I was just curious who out there uses modern cartridge/disposable razors, and who uses more "classic" methods.
    I would love to change the world, but they won't give me the source code

Semper Vigilans et Paratus

2. Remove Ads

Administrator
    I use my benchmade.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Braun electric - I have to say, I'll never go back to a manual razor. The electric is just too quick, too easy, and doesn't give me razor burn.
    "A well-educated electorate, being necessary to the continuance of a free state, the right of the people to keep and read books shall not be infringed."
    Is this hard to understand? Then why does it get unintelligible to some people when 5 little words are changed?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I use my benchmade.
    You know, I was expecting a "knife" response in the first five posts. I should have known it would have been you.

Hrmm, completely forgot about electric. Ah well, at least I remembered "other". I tried electric a couple of times, I really gave it an honest shot. Didn't like it though, and I can get much closer with a DE razor.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBear View Post
    You know, I was expecting a "knife" response in the first five posts. I should have known it would have been you.
    Someone had to do it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Electric (battery specifically) allows me to shave while motoring down the road.

Ok so I really don't do that, but it does allow me to multi-task while shaving. Works good enough for me.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

I use whatever is available. I lost my good double edge long ago. I have an antique heavy duty straight razor I like. I sometimes use a Bic single edge disposable. I just bought a Smith & Wesson folder with a strraight razor as one of the blades to keep in my car for an emergency shave. I by the way usually shave only once a month or when I need it. Its the Indian Blood, my beard grows real slow. I shaved with my camp axe once when I was camping and had to go to town. I marked other, like I said, what ever is handy.

I only shave for important events so about every 4-6 months. So when i do i start with hair clippers, then go across with electric beard clippers to knock it down as low as i can, then shave with a disposable. After all of that i feel naked for the next few weeks till it all grows back.

VIP Member
    Like Crocodile Dundee...with a 14 inch Bowie!

I actually have a beard, so shaving isn't a big deal.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Shave??!!! Egad, I haven't shaved since my military discharge in '86. My wife told me she'd had enough of my being beardless and I was glad to oblige her.

Barbaric practice....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Once a week whether I need it or not. Shaving every day in the Marines sure did get old. :p

I use the Fusions at this point. The Mach III's were good though. Expensive, but get the job done rather well.

I used to have a pretty nice electric razor, but I'd always look like I shaved with a belt sander and have 5 o'clock shadow by 10:00AM or so. I think I eventually gave it to my roommate in the barracks when I left, but he didn't grow facial hair so well.

These days I tend to wear a beard and just shave the neck once a week.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Member Array airbornerangerboogie's Avatar
    K-bar, lye soap, and cold water
    “Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” James Dean
    Phil (NRA Member and Vietnam Vet)
    ------------- My CCW ----------------
    No Guns Here Boss
    I gave them to the naked Pigmy's in New Guinea

Assistant Administrator
    Haha - this is a new off topic one LOL!

I have a beard but shave around it - always electric. For years my Phillips travel shaver (battery) has done me proud and has two heads not three.

If it quits I am stuck because all seem three head fancy schmancy deals now - and I don't like the three heads.

Oh well - it's still working now, after what ......... maybe ten years plus!! One set of batteries a year too - ain't bad.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I just started growing a beard a month ago after spending what seems like a life time in the military and the last 13 years without anything but a mustache. I do trim it with a Norelco triple header electric shaver and before I started growing the beard I'd used Norelco since I was a kid.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links