The Latest Global Warming Hysteria

This is a discussion on The Latest Global Warming Hysteria within the Off Topic & Humor Discussion forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I think this is all the comment I need to make. Climate-Change Lunatics' Latest Target: Hanukkah Menorah Candles Environmental Alarmists Ask Jewish Celebrants to Burn ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Latest Global Warming Hysteria

VIP Member

I think this is all the comment I need to make.

Climate-Change Lunatics' Latest Target: Hanukkah Menorah Candles
    Environmental Alarmists Ask Jewish Celebrants to Burn One Fewer Hanukkah Candle to Fight Global Warming

Just when you thought that global warming lunatics couldn't descend any deeper into their morass of absurdity, they proceed to pioneer new realms of insanity.

Their latest target? Nothing less than the traditional Jewish Hanukkah menorah. We couldn't make this up.

As reported this week by the Jerusalem Post, a group of Israeli environmental extremists calling themselves the "Green Hanukkia" campaign is sanctimoniously instructing Jews across the world to light one fewer candle in their Hanukkah menorahs this year in order to slow global warming.

According to the campaign's founders, each menorah candle can produce - hold your breath - a mind-boggling 15 grams of carbon dioxide. Multiplying this amount by the estimated 44 million candles that Israeli households will light during the eight-day Hanukkah holiday, they assert that "it adds up."

Under Jewish tradition, Hanukkah commemorates the recapture of ancient Jerusalem from Greek and Assyrian dominance, and the simultaneous rededication of Jerusalem's temple, where a miniscule amount of oil miraculously burned for eight days.

Shamelessly capitalizing upon this miracle theme, Liad Ortar, one of Green Hanukkia's founders, insolently asserted that "the campaign calls for Jews around the world to save the last candle and save the planet, so we won't need another miracle. Global warming is a milestone in human evolution that requires us to rethink how we live our lives, and one of the main paradigms of that is religion and how it fits into the current situation."

In other words, according to environmentalists, we must re-think "religion and how it fits into the current situation," rather than vice-versa. Never mind ancient tradition and religious ritual - they now must yield to the new god of global warming.

Fortunately, some sober Jewish leaders are unamused by Green Haunukkia's bizarre campaign. These leaders point out that menorah candles constitute a critical part of longstanding Hanukkah tradition, and should not be sacrificed at the altar of global-warming hysteria. Avraham Ravitz, a member of Israel's Knesset, stated that these environmentalists are "crazy people." And Rabbi Stephen Steindel further observed that "religion takes so little of people's focus as it is, I would want to go slowly in giving up obligations and traditions when there are so many other ways to protect the environment."

In his own version of Marie Antoinette's "let them eat cake," however, Green Hanukkia co-founder Tom Wegner responded that the group isn't anti-religious because religious observers "could forego using the shamas (the candle used to light the other menorah candles), which is not required for fulfilling the mitzvah."

How gracious of him.

If environmental extremists can descend to this degree of shameless triviality, there is no telling what harmless human tradition they will target next. For instance, will Green Hanukkia create a subsidiary organization named "Green Birthday" and seek to eliminate birthday candles?

A more likely effort, continuing their current persecution of menorah candles, would obviously be to form the form the anti-cooking brigades because of the alleged environmental impact. But perhaps we should be careful about giving them any new bright ideas.

Regardless, the simple fact is that human activity has very little effect on constantly-changing temperatures of our planet, as demonstrated by the drastic climatic fluctuations that occurred prior to human industrialization. For instance, the Great Lakes were once glaciers, but obviously melted without any human contribution. Good thing that Al Gore wasn't around with his movie camera and pointer during the Ice Age, or Chicago's waterfront might look quite different.

Carbon dioxide itself constitutes a very small portion of the earth's overall atmosphere, and human activity contributes a very small portion of even that amount. Accordingly, when viewed in proper context, attempts to attribute climate change causation to human activity, let alone something like menorah candles burning eight days per year, are silly.

If the members of Green Hanukkia would truly like to reduce the amount of hot air entering the earth's atmosphere, they'd be better off stuffing a sock in Al Gore's mouth than targeting Jewish Hanukkah celebrants.
    http://www.cfif.org/htdocs/legislati...e-Lunatics.htm
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

what a joke .. hey send some of them Global warming losers up here ill let them do their talk them punch them in the face and leave them laying in the snow.. Global warming my foot its 20 degrees here

Idiots, morons, dolts....the "Israeli environmental extremists" calling themselves the "Green Hanukkia"......self proclaimed experts, no doubt.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Idiots, morons, dolts....the "Israeli environmental extremists" calling themselves the "Green Hanukkia"......self proclaimed experts, no doubt.
    They are just following the lead of the guy who invented the Internet and whose mother used to sing him to sleep with the "Look for the union label" song twenty years before it first appeared. He is a self proclaimed expert as well.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Lead Moderator
    Cold and snowy up here. No global warming evident in N. MI.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It will get down to 39 tonight, and only be 53 tomorrow; clearly not warm.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have been wondering where the heck is the global warming myself. We had an early cold snap this year and I have allready had to start wearing thermals.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

That's ~1.4M pounds, or (at 900 lbs/car/yr). That's the equivalent of what ~1600 cars/yr puts out in CO2 emissions. Said another way, to offset that amount of CO2 would take every one of the 200M cars in the USA to drive 12mi less across a year, assuming an average of 15Kmi/car driven in a year. 12mi fewer miles, for every car in the USA, and then all the menorah candles could be lit guilt-free. Do your part ... give, this Hannukah. Oy!
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Hmm,

Sounds pretty logical to me.

So, what else can we do to slow global warming?

In church, only 1 candle on the altar instead of two.
    Oh, and let's take out 1 spark plug from each car.
    Then, we could remove 1 candle from each candelabra at special occasions like weddings.
    Our church is doing the Advent wreath lighting...maybe just start Advent a week late and light 3 candles and the Christ Candle instead of the usual 4.
    Candlelighting ceremonies on Christmas Eve should definitely not allow candles to be lit.

What else could we do to stop the vile demon of global warming? Let's help the brother in Israel out.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

I'll be sure to let my dad know that he has to drop a candle this year.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Quote Originally Posted by SonofASniper View Post
    I have been wondering where the heck is the global warming myself.
    It's in algores warped mind.
    America: Your government is not ignoring you, it's insulting you.

The Bill of Rights: Void where prohibited by law.

Have any of these fools worried about Hanukkah Menorah Candles ever heard of something called a VOLCANO? Talk about global warming. We should hurry up and tell the volcano's to stop spewing forth.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    We've got 10 inches of snow on the ground already! It's been below freezing all week.I'd take some global warming right now!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Hmm,

Sounds pretty logical to me.

So, what else can we do to slow global warming?

In church, only 1 candle on the altar instead of two.
    Oh, and let's take out 1 spark plug from each car.
    Then, we could remove 1 candle from each candelabra at special occasions like weddings.
    Our church is doing the Advent wreath lighting...maybe just start Advent a week late and light 3 candles and the Christ Candle instead of the usual 4.
    Candlelighting ceremonies on Christmas Eve should definitely not allow candles to be lit.

What else could we do to stop the vile demon of global warming? Let's help the brother in Israel out.
    Here are a few more.
    Have Al Gore stop breathing.
    Have all the members of Green Hanukkia stop breathing.
    (These two would have the additional benefit of removing them from the media.)
    Add a couple of bushes to your yard.
    Buy a couple of house plants.

We are talking about carbon dioxide. There is a simple non-polluting remedy for carbon dioxide - photosynthesis. Plants remove carbon dioxide from the air by photosynthesis.
    George

Administrator
    I saw the "plea" on TV for One Less Candle.

Everybody is going FeelGood Green.

Remember folks...if you listen very carefully...you can hear the Earth breath a sigh of relief...every single time you turn out a light.
    Shhhhhh....listen...can you hear it?
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links